Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When looking to purchase a 1974 GTV, what is the range of pricing? When looking to buy one, I find I am having trouble knowing if the car is priced where it should be.

I have seen some as low as 1,500 up to 20,000 USD.

It's easy to agreee with either extreme, but it's the middle of the class pricing that I am having trouble with.:confused:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think a fully restored version would be out of my price range. Ideally, I would like one with minimal rust, and an fairly smooth engine with little or not oil leaks. I can live with an interior that is not not in greatest condition.

Basically, a decent car with no major structural or engine problems.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I have been looking at E-bay for quite a while,
and I also looked extensively last year for a
"nice" 71-74 GTV, and I agree that the price varies wildly.

In my search I was looking for a car that had a
good paint job, no overspray, not lots of bondo,
with the chrome/trim in good condition. I also
wanted a running car with the work done correctly,
in other works quality parts, and a clean job done.
I specifically avoided cars that had the Spica
system tampered with, and cars that had the electrical
messed with.
I also wanted a clean interior, not necessarily new.
So not a show car, but a well cared for 30yr old
classic, that showed pride of ownership.

So, not a show car, but also not a dog, somewhere
in the above average condition.
My search really turned up nothing that I could live
with, lots of cars that are rigged, and slapped
together.

One bit of advice, if you are thinking of
buying a car that is far away, make sure to go out
and look at it first, you will be amazed at how
good cars can look in photo's.

Oh, the price range I wanted was in the $6-9K range. Lots of cars selling in this range, but
lots of dogs too.

I ended up buying a 71 in original condition, ie
faded paint, bad interior, crunchy trans, ok engine,
but it was complete, with very little rust for $2K.
Found it at http://autos.recycler.com/

Im slowly restoring it myself, and I think I will
spend about $12K getting everything done to my taste.
Lots cheaper to buy one with all this done, problem
is finding one where the work was done correcly.
Guess it just depends on how picky you are.

Hope my rambling helps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the great feedback Kevin.

You describe almost exactly what I am looking for. I am leaning towards buying a car with the work already done, however, like you said I want to make sure it was done correctly.

I was even thinking of buying one on the low end of the price range just to get my feed wet and get familiar with the car and its dificiencies. Maybe do a liitle work on it, sell it and progress to one in better condition.

I denfinitely plan on inspecting the car before buying even if that means driving a long distance or flying to see it.

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Having done some of this stuff, here is what I figure:

1. You can buy a 'parts car' '73 or '74 for about $500 (or less).

2. You can buy a 'project' for about $2000.

3. It will cost you about $20K to have someone restore a 'project' (it could cost much more if you really get sticky about originality), or you can do it for about $5-10K if you do most of the work yourself.

4. Current re-sale value, or what you will pay for a really nice GTV is about $10K. In a few years (by the time your 'project' is finished), the price should be about $15K for a nice one.

5. If you buy a well-taken care of, but worn example...expect to pay about $8K.

So, there you go...you pays your money and you takes your chances. The best advice I ever heard was "buy the best one you can afford". I think that is a good recipe, especially if you have over $8K. It means that you can enjoy the car NOW, not in a few years...and it will help to keep you happy with your car, because most of it is functional already.

Me? I bought a parts car for $400, am picking up a rust-free, but rolled shell for free...and then I'll spend the next couple of years putting together a racer, which will cost me a total of about $10K (with me doing almost all of the work). In the end, I'll get a vehicle worth about what I put into it:D

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Fred,

Living in Toronto makes it more difficult. I don't think it is really practical to use ebay, since you may end up flying all over the US looking at cars, and then get outbid since you can't buy a car you like on the spot. There aren't too many GTVs for sale in this area.
After I sold my previous GTV and realized I made a mistake and wanted to buy another, I ended up buying a car on ebay without seeing it. It isn't as good as it was described, but it is OK. You may be able to buy the car, make a small deposit then refuse to complete the transaction if it not as described when you get there. You could try to sue to get your deposit back, or just swallow the loss.

It isn't easy!

Ken
Oakville, ON
1974 GTV 2000

·
Registered
739 Posts
The last SCM I have with a price giude (8/2002) has '70 - '74 1750/2000 GTV's at a high of USD $9,500 for a condition #2 example. With the economy the way it is, I would think that the values haven't moved much if at all.

Ciao,

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I also purchased my '67 GTV on eBay. I however, took a chance and purchased it sight unseen for $7000. I could not take the time off to travel up to Portland. What I got was an all original step nose with a restored interior. I feel that I lucked out. Since it is white the dings did not show up too well in the photos, which were taken on a bright sunny day. My photo below was taken with my crappy old digital camera and the dings are more prounounced. Btw, I primered the fender after removing some light surface rust. The seller did describe all the dings to me prior to my bid. We had many phone conversations. I took a tremendous gamble and am very happy.

AlfaNut, if you do find a GTV online there's a possibility that an AlfaBB.com member might live close enough to check out the car for you.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I think alot of the variation in pricing is due to location. New Alfa's were almost all daily drivers, not cars people would buy as a third car for weekend use. So, the only place you are going to find a relatively good supply of rust free cars is in places like Texas, California or Arizona. Areas that salted heavily, like the Northeast, have a very, very thin supply of good cars, and prices are somewhat higher. Judging from the internet ads I have seen, $10K in California will buy you a much nicer vehicle than $10K in Massachusetts. The difference in quality is even more pronounced in the lower price ranges. A sub $4K GTV in the rustbelt will almost certainly have terminal cancer, while the same priced car down south might very well be rustfree.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think the feedback you get from the vendor is critical. Some vendors are upfront and willing to send you pictures or talk about the car. While some seem to be imposed (which I don't get since they are trying to sell a car). You need to trust your gut feeling when buying. You can get really caught up in the excitement that you ignore warning signs.

I think the term RESTORED is also used loosely. My interpretation of a restored is usually different from someelses.

I generally ask the basic questions (i.e how many owners, any rust, any accidents, condition), but I wonder if we can come up with some specific questions to ask when looking for GTV's (i.e. any rust in rear wheel housing, etc.)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I suggest that it may be helpful for you to attend local alfa events (theres one next thursday BTW) and get a look at other peoples GTV's to see what the spectrum of cars looks like. When it comes time for you to come face to face with your own destiny car, you will be able to evaluate it relative to others.

I bought just about the first one I saw, and it is a good car, but I wish I had educated myself better first.

For my next GTV (and there will be another) I will be more patient and will extend my search to the US or europe, as it will be THE GTV.

FWIW, I paid 14K canadian for a US spec '71 GTV that is by no means original, but has a very good interior a good (starting to crack) paint job and a superb little 1750. The addition of Webers, Konis, Shankle sway bars, Marelliplex ignition and Momo wheels made the price seem reasonable.

AND

Oh my Gawd is it fun to drive. Get one.

James
'71 GTV
'87 Milano Gold

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
James, I will get one, it's just a matter of finding the right one. I don't want to rush into it and buy something I'm really not happy with. I know about the Alfa event in Woodbridge next Thursday and I will try to drop in for a visit.

Did you import your Alfa from the US or buy it here from someone who did?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bought the car locally.

Oddly though, I first found it on the AROC (US) web site - fell in love - but figured it would be long ago gobbled up by somebody more in the loop than me. The owner wanted about twice what I was expecting to pay for a GTV, but after 7 years of waiting for a garage, money, spousal approval etc, alfa fever took over and in short order a deal was struck.

Ooops - I called it a US spec car, which it is, but it was originally sold here in Canada and has been here ever since.

See you next Thurs!

James

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts