Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my car in '86 and of course it didn't have a North American (Canadian) owners manual. The previous owner said it had got soaked in a rainstorm hmmm and she threw it in the trash. Does anyone out there have one in decent shape? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
If you don't mind an official photocopy, you can request one from Alfa Romeo directly.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply! Of course I'd like to get an original manual but a photocopy would be good too. How do I get in contact with the factory? Does anyone have their e-mail address or is there a North American branch office that would have one?

·
Super Moderator - Alfa Romeo Expert
16,232 Posts
Schiff European offers hardbound copies of the original manual. They currently list a 74 GTV owners manual for $47. I can offer you a comb bound copy for about half that.
The email for Alfa is [email protected] .

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks papajam, I think I'll take you up on your kind offer. Please e-mail me at jandave at telus dot net and we'll do the deal.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the link Colin! It was interesting to see what the manual actually looks like. Now if I can only get one in my hands, I'd clean the greasy dirt off them before opening it. Honest! I'll wait to see what papajam can come up with.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Actually the 1974 2000 GTV Owner's Manual was printed in December 1972 and intended for 1973 model year GTV's. Alfa Romeo only put a sticker over the 1973 model year and supplied it for 1974 models. This manual also covers the Berlina and Spider models also. It appears that Alfa Romeo used one manual to cover all three models and they just printed a different cover. The Vancouver Alfa Club has many experienced restorers who would be glad to share their experiences with you. It may be worth your time to get in touch with them because the local automobilia shop had a 1974 GTV manual gathering dust on their shelf.

·
16,232 Posts
Alfa Romeo only put a sticker over the 1973 model year and supplied it for 1974 models.
This was probably a stop gap measure until the 74 manuals became available. Below are pics of a 74 owners manual cover. Note in pic two the 'R2' and the print date. The R2 means that this manual is a second revision manual meaning that there was a first edition and a first revision that preceeded 2192 R2.

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have an excellent orig `74 spider manual, and an excellent orig 1972 2000GTV manual I think from canada b/c it shows carbs rather than spica. pm me if interested

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replies everyone! Papajam is sending me a copy of the correct manual for my car and it will make a nice addition to my glove box.
You da man papajam!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have trouble explaining my manual then - see attached pictures. It is Rev.1 - but a different rev.1 that daveydog's? Also, what the heck "1977" mean - it could not have been printed in 1977 to cover 1973 product year?

-Dima

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
It indeed appears that Alfa Romeo reprinted a revised (R1) version of the 1973 Berlina, GTV and Spider owners' manual in December 1977 (12/77) in a limited reprint of 300 copies. Alfa must have received a request for replacement manuals from perhaps new owners of the above cars. Papajam may shed some more light over this mystery.

·
16,232 Posts
I'll agree with CN36 that there may have been a need for more manuals to be printed. Note the publication number, 2068, posted by CN36. This manual is specific to the GTV as the cover indicates. There were also separate manuals published for the Berlina (#2067) and the Spider (#2069). The publication number of the manual posted by Dima shows all three publication numbers and the 1st revision (R1) designation and all three models listed on the cover. If requests for additional manuals was the reason for 12/77 publishing date, it would seem that Alfa decided to simply combine all three models into one manual.
Alfa did the same thing with the 1972 US version owners manuals as well. Publication numbers 1845, 1846 & 1847 were combined into one manual with an R1 designation. Interesting to note that this 1845, 6 & 7 R1 manual also had a run of 300 copies and was printed in 12/77.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts