Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I purchased a great 1974 GTV 2 years ago and its overdue for a tune up. The prior owned installed a TS motor (I have the original as well - shown below)

1) How can I tell exactly what year/model/type the engine is from? Is there a way to tell from the engine?

2) Any suggestion for Alfa Shops in Connecticut? I live in Stamford

3) Looking to perhaps replace the bumpers as these are a bit worn. Any suggestions?

Thanks Much

Attachments

·
Registered
1968 1750 GTV USA Bianco Spino
151 Posts
There's a list from Fusi's book (search this forum) with car serial numbers and engine serial numbers. If it's before 1978 you'll probably find it there.
If you mean the TS it's probably from a 75(Milano) as it's the only longitudinally mounted model that engine was in (164,155) being the other ones in transverse layout.

Sent from my M2011K2G using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Motor is from a 1990 Alfa 75 (Milano) according to casting dates on various original pieces, IIRC. Long block originally sourced from J. Steck/AutoComponenti

·
Registered
11 Posts
Alfa Unlimited is a good place to go. Keith has been working on Alfa’s for more years than I can remember.
an alternate is Dominick European Car Repair in White Plains NY. The Spadaro boys know their stuff.
Don‘t forget to join AROC. The Ct chapter is a good group. Gratuitous Plug.
Dino
CT Chapter President.

·
Registered
`61 Giulietta Spider, `65 Giulia Ti 1750, `69 GT junior 1600, `73 Spider 2000, `74 GTV 2000, `98 156
1,946 Posts
Those bumpers look all right in the photos. Why not get them repaired and re-polished. Not a big job which you could even do yourself if you feel so inclined.

·
Super Moderator
12,060 Posts
Those bumpers look all right in the photos. Why not get them repaired and re-polished.
I had the same reaction as alfavirusnz - repolish, don't replace. #1, new replacements aren't available anyways and your existing bumpers look as good as any used ones you are likely to find. #2, It's tough to tell what's wrong with your bumpers from the photos - is the finish just dull?.

Since GTV bumpers are made from stainless steel, they can be polished, either in-place, or off the car. You can do a more thorough job with the bumpers off the car and the bumper assemblies taken apart. I used a metal polishing shop here in southern California knock out the dings and polish the SS bumpers & overriders for my Duetto - they came out looking factory new.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts