Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several years ago I replaced the front driveshaft support and bearing as the support rubber had deteriorated. Now, when I am finally getting around to reinstalling the driveshaft, it is about ¼ inch short of meeting the transmission guibo donut. I also replaced the engine mounts but did not replace the transmission mount, so the engine should be in the same location. I also replaced the guibo, but the dimensions of the new one are identical to the old one. At the driveshaft bearing there is a “spring spacer”. Does this spring go forward or rearward of the bearing? I presently have it to the rear of the bearing. I’m pretty sure that is how I found it when I did the bearing replacement – but I could be wrong as it was several years ago when I did the work. I am the original owner, so I can’t blame a PO. It does not appear it matters which way the bearing support is installed as it appears symmetrical. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
870 Posts
Jim - I don't know if I can answer your questions, but welcome. Pretty cool that you're the original owner of your car.

Do you have any pictures of the driveshaft that you can post? That might help with diagnosing your issues. We'd love to see some pictures of your car, too, of course.

Scott

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Scott,

Thanks for your photo suggestion, but I decided that the location of the spring spacer is most likely the problem, so I have already disassembled and reassembled the drive shaft support and bearing. I have not yet tried the reinstallation of the driveshaft as my wife has strongly suggested I need to complete some outdoor winterization projects before I return to playing in the garage.

Jim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts