Alfa Romeo Forums banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
After sandblasting, I would consider thermal metallization if I were you. Jyderup Sandblæseri can do both for you.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
After sandblasting, I would consider thermal metallization if I were you. Jyderup Sandblæseri can do both for you.
First of all, they are too far away for me to make them a realistic choise, and second of all, I beleive it is a waste of money. I am fully aware that the metal is better protected, but my car will be in a garage, and only be used a few times every year during summertime, so it is unlikely it will ever even see rain again. I am confident that a thick layer of epoxy primer after the sand blasting will seal off the metal from the enviroment just fine. All cavities will be filled with cavity wax once the car has been painted, and using the rotisory I can make sure it reaches every corner where it needs to go.

·
Registered
53 Posts
ok, that is also a good solution. Do you plan to drill holes for the injection hose before the epoxy paint ? and do you plan to use rubber plugs for the holes afterwards or do you have another solution ?

While unable to sleep sometimes I think a lot of getting a project like yours. I think a lot of how to prevent rust the best way in the future. Some times I think Im about to loose my mind about it.
I have a theory that the blue/black/brownish discoloring on the backside of weldings are good starting points for rust. So I was thinking that after one had welded, like lets say a patch, and there is a cavety behind it where the backside of the weld is exposed. Perhabs one could sandblast the discoloring via a hose and then vacume out the sand particles. Then spray epoxy inside the cavity and at last spray cavity wax in there.....hmmmm maybe I think too much

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Don't know how I missed this thread completely....but having just gone through it all....I must say you've really tackled a challenging restoration! Gotta give you kudos though...you've done a lot in the short time of what 2 years or so? Very nice!

·
Premium Member
6,344 Posts
Really nice!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I got to spend a it more time working on the car today. I have reached a major milestone as the last body panels have been welded in. The transverse chassis frame pieces were the last 2 pieces missing. Even though the car is now basically complete I still need to do a lot of welding grinding and adjustments to do before the car is ready for sand blasing and paint.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Updating the thread is slow, but progress on the car is equally slow, so I guess it's OK then... :)

Over the summer I have spent a little bit of time on the car. Even though all metal work is "done" there are still a lot of welds to be completed and grinded down. Also all gaps needs to done in preparation for paint. That is very time consuming, but I know I will regret if I don't spend the time now.

I have bought parts for a GTA grill conversion, and modified the front apron accordingly. I have chosen to find a compromise between bumper and bumperless, as I don't like either too well. I have cut the middle section of the front bumper out. However I want to cut them down a bit more and move them closer to the body of the car. That is a future project.

Also I have installed the GTA door handles. More to follow within a couple of months... :)

·
Registered
11,639 Posts
Nice work!

I personally don't understand the GTA grill conversion on the 4 headlight front ... IMO the 1750 grill looks considerably better/best and would be what I'd convert it to.

It is a pity Alfa didn't move to the GTA style door handles for all models as a better door handle I think :)
Pete

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
PSK: That's a matter of taste. I like the GTA grill a lot, so that's what I have chosen. IMO it looks more modern than the 1750 grill, which I think looks a bit older.

I know my car is not a GTA, but I like the semi-racing styled cars better than the street car look. The GTA decals are also in consideration, but there's a long way to go before getting to that point.

I appreciate all the comments to the thread. It is encouraging to read the constructive feedback.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Time for another update. I finalized the rust repairs, and the very last piece was the bottom of one of the doors.

After doing rust repairs I thought I would fit the door seals and confirm that the doors would still close. They wouldn't! Not even close to being able to! That was making me panick, but a new set of seals solved the problem. Now the doors close and lign up perfectly.

Test fitted all glas, and everything fits perfectly.

I had the interior, trunk, engine compartment and bottom of the car sandblasted and epoxy primed. I cleaned the car off after the sandblasting. There was sand EVERYWHERE!! It took me 4 full hours of air preassure blowing to get the car free of all sand. Even though it is not a very interesting task, at least it feels good knowing that sufficient effort has been put into cleaning out all remains of sand.

It's great to finally reaching "bottom" of the restore, and seing that things are heading towards assembly.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #73 (Edited)
Time for another update.

After the car was sand blasted it was painted with an epoxy primer containing zink for extra protection. I brough the car back home where I used filler to smooth out the areas that needed it, and also used seam sealer for all seams.

After this I covered the bottom, the wheel whels, the interior and the trunk with Upol Raptor bedliner. I used 2 kits of it, so a total of 8 liters.

The car has now been dropped off at the painter, so the exterior can get a coat of primer, and everything else the final red paint on top of the bedliner. Once that is done, I get the car back, so I can mount the suspension prior to exterior paint.

Also all suspension components have been sand blasted and painted with 2 layers of primer and 2 layers of paint, and I can now start assembling these parts while waiting for the shell from the painter.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Glad to see another one coming back together!

Please keep the updates coming.

Scott

·
Registered
176 Posts
incredible...amazing progress...and super skills at work here to come SOO far in 1 year...really amazing work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Truly amazing work and a fantastic job documenting it. After just purchasing my own 72 junior 1600 in a similar condition to your 74 I plan to undertake the same path as you have and fully restore it. It is so so so nice to see how you have tackled and solved the issues of the restoration. Having a step by step guide with pictures to help me along the way is priceless.

I am keen to see how it has progressed.

any updates??

many thanks

·
Registered
11,639 Posts
incredible...amazing progress...and super skills at work here to come SOO far in 1 year...really amazing work.
+1

A most impressive and high quality restoration!!! :)
Pete

61 - 80 of 85 Posts