Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Got the left front fender on this weekend. However I think the gap between the door and front fender seems to be far to big. As you can see in the picture it looks fine in the top and at the sill, but in between the gap is too large. What would be the best way to fix this?

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
The only way I have done it is to weld along the leading edge of the door either straight mig or weld a strip then grind and file. Really need to watch the heat so its a slow old process

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Thanks for your feedback Legin. That's what I suspected, so that's what I'll have to do.

Anyway, I got the right side front fender on today. It fits much better than the left one, but I think the gap is slightly too small. Once the fender and door both have fresh paint I am afraid they will rub, so I will shim the door with a couple of 0,8 mm steel plate before welding in the rear fender.

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Got the trunk floor welded in yesterday. It is an unoriginal piece, and the fitment is really bad IMO. It will be a challenge to do a decent finish along the edges, but I'll get it done somehow.

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Another one. I started cutting out the original trunk floor before receiving the new one. Once ir arrived I realized it didn't include the top part which I already had removed, so I had to make a new piece of metal for that area.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Any Updates?

Hey Kitora.

I just registered to this site, mainly due to your thread.

Has anything happend since your last update ?

How do you plan to prevent rust in the future, now that you are replacing almost the whole car with new fresh metal ?

Great Work, I hope to buy a similar project one day and really come under the skin and rebuild a car like that to perfection like you.

Best regards

Lasse

·
Registered
574 Posts
Yes!~! Updates Please and thank you!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Finally!!!

I have been inactive for the last 7-8 months on the car rebuild, so nothing has been done at all. However spent a few hours the last couple of days, and I have started finsishing some of the welds. It has gone better and faster than what I had even hoped for, so it seems like the final body work may progress a bit faster that I would have expected.

Updates WILL follow in near future... I promise... :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Time for another update. I have spent some more time on finishing some of the welds at the rear and have not put the car in the other jig, so I can work comfortably on the bottom of the car. There are still a lot of welding to be done, and not least a lot of grinding. At the same time I have started removing the undercoating as the blaster does not want to blast it off. A quite time consuming job, but with a heat gun it is reasonably easy to remove.

I have decided to do some strengthening welds to make the car flex less and perform better.

41 - 60 of 85 Posts