Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I am at a point where I am able to find some spare time to work on my '74 GT Junior. I rebuilt the engine a couple of years ago (in another thread here), but unfortunately it has got a really bad mechanical knoking sound from the rear cylinder that I also need to look at.

This weekend I decided to start working on the car. I managed to take lights, license plates and other small things off before attacking the front suspension and steering. I replaced all the suspension and brake parts a couple of years ago, so everything is in a really good condition. However I want to have the parts powder coated and zink plated, so it once again looks new once put back together. I am thinking about crossdrilling some of the suspension parts to lighten them, but I am not sure it can be done without compromizing the structual integrety. Any thoughts on the subject?

I also took off the exhaust, and drained all fluids from the car, so the next steps are the rear suspension and axle and then the engine.

The engine compartment, roof, window frames etc. looks rust free, but the sills and the lower parts of the fenders needs replacing due to poor repairs by the previous owner.

Updates will follow regularly. :thumbup1:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think I killed it. It might be slightly sick, but absolutely not dead...:w00t:

I just bought a 2.0 TS engine for it, so I might build that in the same way as I did with the original engine, and save the original engine as a spare. The guy that I bought the TS engine from happened to also have a rust free 75 2.0 TS Limited Edition, which I accidently also bought. I haven't picked it up yet due to space constranints, so I am not sure about the general condition, but it seemed to be in a really good condition from what I could see through all the rust.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got some more work done on the car this weekend. The engine, interior and the glass is now out of the car. Tried to take out the gas tank as well, but discovered I had forgotten to empty the gasoline out of it before starting to pull the car apart. I have to get around to that somehow in the next couple of weeks.

The car was restored about 10-12 years ago in Sweden before I purchased it. It seems like all the rust I have to do is more or less in the exact same places as the last time. I am not too impressed with the work that has been performed.

However the car is in a much better condition than I had even hoped for. The original floor boards are in really great condition. There are 2 corners in the outer front corners of the floor boards that needs fixing, and obviously around the rubber plugs in the bottom. I am considering welding them shut as they seem to be rust traps. Are there any reasons why I shouldn't do this? (other than the originality issues)

The sills have been replaced, but there people doing the earlier restoration have not even bothered priming them, let alone attempted any other rust protection inside the sills. :sad:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Today I spent some more time on the car. I have decided to do some minor modifications to the car to keep a "clean" look. I ordered a set of GTA door handles instead of the original ones. The badges on the C pillars will be removed and the holes welded shut. The side indicators on the front fenders will be removed, so I welded patches where they were located. There was some rust around the holes, so I had to fabricate some larger patches. The reverse light will also be removed, so I welded a patch in the hole.

I discovered that the lower right hand rear fender behind the rear wheel was more or less built up using bondo. The previous owner had replaced part of the fender by overlapping the plates... twice....:thumbdown: Consequently he had also hammered the entire corner in 5-10 mm and filled the whole area with bondo.

In the trunk, the floor was "repaired" with aluminium tape covered with bondo and paint, so I had to fabricate a replacement panel.

I am still in doubt whether I want to produce a plinth for the number plate light and keep the car without bumpers, or whether to put the bumpers back on. If they go back on, I will probably modify them to sit closer to the body of the car.

To be continued... :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Changed my mind on some of the repair work. As I will be spending quite a lot of time on the repairs I might as well go all in and replace the entire outer panels instead of doing repair pieces. I cut off all the outer panels and ordered new ones.

A few pictures of the progress.

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One of the first jobs to attack was the sills. The previous restorer has just replaced the outer sills and either hidden or actively covered the rusty inner- and middle sills.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 85 Posts