·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1974 Alfa Romeo Spider image.jpg

image_1.jpg

image_2.jpg

image_5.jpg

image_9.jpg which was "re-bumpered" to a 1984. I bought this as a project car about a month ago and soon realized that I didn't have the funding to finish it. However, it is a complete car, the engine looks good and turns over (according to the last owner), and this car would make a great base for a restoration. The top is also in great shape. The odometer says 33000 miles but it may have been reset when the car was rebuilt.

Currently the car does not run and has a few parts in boxes but I am continuing to put the car together.

As for cons, there are typical Alfa problems such as the rust-cancer on rocker panels and floor pans, but it still stands to make a solid project. All of the important parts are there. Asking $1100 OBO, I need to just get rid of the car to start my next project. Contact me via email or phone or PM, my number is Three 60- Seven 7 Four- Two 5 Four 2 and my email is [email protected]. Thanks for reading.

Miguel

·
Super Moderator
10,585 Posts
1974 Alfa Romeo which was "re-bumpered" to a 1984.
Wow, that's pretty odd - most people go the other way. Not only the bumpers, but also the tail lights, spoiler, wheels, trunk emblem, and side market lights are all consistent with a later spider. It even has an emissions tag on the drivers' side doorjamb (photo reproduced below) which suggests this is a post-1974 chassis. The engine compartment does look early 1970's.

Hey, any Alfa for $1,100 is a good deal - I'm not knocking your car - but I'm skeptical that it really is a '74. For a buyer who lives in a state with emissions testing, the chassis model year could be significant.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The vin matches the one on the firewall. I checked that one with the Centro Documentazione of Alfa. It was once a blue 1974 spider with amaranth tex (beige) interior. I have found that blue under the carpet and i have the original seats. I was skeptical at first too but then after all of this i decided to believe it. You can also kinda tell by bthe way the aftermarket parts are installed with mis-matched bolts and such.

Miguel

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
The dash and the engine compartment say 1974 (or 1970's). Everything else says 1984 (or mid 1980's). The trunk sheet metal between the tail lights is mid 80's, not 70's.

I would wager that if you inspected this car closely, you'll find that the rear of a mid 80's Spider was grafted on to your 1974 Spider. The 1974 maybe got rear ended? The sheet metal, tail lights, rear bumper, all look well done, the front bumper looks thrown on.

What color is the engine compartment, and what color is the trunk interior and spare tire well? That might help determine what's going on here.

I'm not trying to disparage your sale, or question your asking price (it's not like you're trying to get top dollar for this car!). Just trying to make sense out of what we're looking at.

bs

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yea, I understand, there is the dark blue in the ****pit and the engine compartment has been painted black but im not sure about the trunk. Any ideas of how to sell it faster? i just need it gone for a reasonable amount so i can start work on my other Milano.

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Yea, I understand, there is the dark blue in the ****pit and the engine compartment has been painted black but im not sure about the trunk. Any ideas of how to sell it faster? i just need it gone for a reasonable amount so i can start work on my other Milano.
I'd try to get some of the stuff out of the trunk, including the carpets, and get some pictures of what's really going on back there. Also, more detailed pictures of the rust.

You might have better luck selling on EBay. There's probably not a huge market for a car like this, although somebody should want it. As Jay says, it is kind of *** backwards from what most people do (putting early bumpers on later cars), but it is different enough that somebody will probably want it.

bs

·
Premium Member
4,514 Posts
Wow, that's pretty odd - most people go the other way. Not only the bumpers, but also the tail lights, spoiler, wheels, trunk emblem, and side market lights are all consistent with a later spider. It even has an emissions tag on the drivers' side doorjamb (photo reproduced below) which suggests this is a post-1974 chassis. The engine compartment does look early 1970's.

Hey, any Alfa for $1,100 is a good deal - I'm not knocking your car - but I'm skeptical that it really is a '74. For a buyer who lives in a state with emissions testing, the chassis model year could be significant.

That tag on the door jam is the manufacturers tag with the build date and vin number. Not an emissions tag.

That being said someone grafted a late model S3 rear panel on to it. As the rear panel is very different from the early cars.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm, okay, next stop ebay! Ill get some pictures of the trunk for here as well just in case. I a as thinking that there would be some interest in it for putting back to original or even just for the good parts, but maybe not, hmmm.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
A non-runner '74 with missing stainless steel bumpers will almost certainly cost considerably more to restore than it's worth on the market. Cars that you have no idea what's wrong with the engine, transmission, or rear axle are a huge risk. If the injection pump is not serviceable that's at least $1500 in parts cost alone.

Unfortunately, non-runners are basically parts cars unless proven otherwise.

You would be much farther ahead if you got the car running and could sell it as a runner . . . compression check, injection pump check for leaking fuel into the crankcase, etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts