Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SOLD!

This Medium Blue 1974 Alfa Romeo Spider is a long time California car. The previous owner purchased it in January, 2000 and from what we can tell only drove it about 3000 miles over the past 18 years. We purchased it from the previous owner last summer after it had sat unused for a few years and have been working on making it a daily driver again. I will do my best to highlight the condition of the car, but we encourage potential buyers to come inspect it themselves. In the interest of full disclosure we are licensed auto dealers in Portland, but I am a long time Alfisti and this is probably my 10th or 11th Alfa Romeo.

EXTERIOR / BODY
Overall the Spider is good, mostly original condition. It was repainted once at some point in the original medium blue, but unfortunately there are a few spot on the hood where the paint has cracked and started to rust a little due to water being trapped under a cover at some point. The paint looks good from 10 feet, but will need to be repainted at some point to address the chips and cracks and remove the surface rust.

The body has “California Rust” in the usual areas where water collects. There are rust bubbles in the lower front fenders behind the wheels, small holes in the floorboards and the trunk spare tire well. The rockers and wheel wells are solid and in good condition as you would expect from a California car.

The chrome and stainless trim is complete and in good, original condition. The front bumpers are complete (even including the center nerf bar) and do not show any signs of collision damage. The rear stainless bumper has a small bend in the middle but could be straightened and polished.

Door handles, locks, windows and vent windows all work properly.

The top is an older vinyl top but is in good condition other than two spots where the rear window has pulled away from the top, and two small holes in the flaps above the windows (these don’t allow water into the car). The rear window is still clear. We adjusted the window channels on the doors so the windows seal against the top better. We also cleared out a blocked drain in the rear area which solved a major leak.

The windshield is new.

INTERIOR

The interior was originally a dark, oxblood red but was reupholstered in tan at some point and blue carpet was added. The carpet is in good condition, and the seats are presentable with only a few small areas where the vinyl has worn. The passenger seat has a hole in the side where the top will hit it if leaned back too far. The door panels are slightly warped because the vapor barriers were missing, but we have straightened the panels as best we could and replaced the vapor barrier. The finish is peeling off the original Personal steering wheel, but the wheel is in good condition with no cracks.

The shift boot is leather and newer, and according to records the inner boots are newer as well.

The gauges all work as intended. All warning lights work properly, including SPICA fuel pressure light. Seat belt interlock has been disabled (I believe) so the seatbelt light doesn’t work, and thankfully neither does the buzzer.

The seatbelts are newer but are not the correct type for the car and will need to be replaced.

The dash is cracked like most, but has a cover (which needs a little adjusting)

The trunk has an original spare tire, the jack and even the tool kit.

ENGINE AND DRIVETRAIN

The Spider starts easily on the first try both cold and hot. It warms up to 175 degrees and stays there. The original SPICA system is intact. It works well and appears to have been professionally adjusted recently. The engine revs well, has lots of power and runs beautifully. Frankly it runs better than my daily driver Berlina and at one point I considered swapping engines. We replaced the sagging motor mounts, changed the oil, checked the timing chain tension, checked the torque on the head gasket nuts, and replaced the dried out valve cover gasket. We also gave it a tune up with new plugs, points, condenser and new fuel hoses and fuel filters. There is a small oil leak somewhere, likely the oil pan gasket.

The transmission wouldn’t stay in third gear when we bought it, so we replaced the transmission with a good used unit. At the same time we replaced the clutch and throwout bearing, and replaced the rubber donut and also the driveshaft center bearing and carrier. We filled the transmission with synthetic Redline 75-140NS gear oil, and it shifts well with just a hint of a crunch in second gear. The previous owner replaced the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder recently.

The differential is quiet and works properly.

CHASSIS

The brakes work well and the car stops as it should. We replaced the rubber brake hoses and bled the brakes. Brake pads have plenty of life front and rear.

The suspension works well, but the front suspension bushings are worn and due for replacement. We replaced two inner tie rods, and had the car aligned. The shocks are newer KYB gas shocks.

The wheels are vintage 6x14 5-spoke Challenger aluminum wheels (originally sold through SHankle) in excellent condition. New center caps are available from Performance Wheels. Tires are BF Goodrich 195/65/14 with tons of tread, but they are old and need to be replaced. If you prefer I have a set of 14x5.5 original Camagnolo Turbinas with newer 185/70/14 tires I could install instead.

ELECTRICAL

The battery is newer (2018) and the alternator works properly. The headlights, parking lights, turn signals gauges lights all work. The interior light in the mirror is missing, and the dimmer is not stock. The gauge lights were replaced with LEDs by the previous owner.

The Spider currently has a vintage Pioneer AM / FM/ Cassette player (that looks very period correct) that works and we installed two new Rockford Fosgate speakers in the kick panels where previously there had been speakers that were missing.

The wipers work and park properly. The fan works on both speeds. The car does not and never had AC. The original cigarette lighter was replaced by a 12V outlet (original lighter is included). The horn works.

I hope that paints an accurate picture of the car. Feel free to call and ask questions, and I am happy to get more photos, especially of the underside.

Work we completed includes:
* Replaced transmission with good used unit, refilled with Redline 75/90 NS gear oil
* New SACHS clutch disc and throw out bearing<br>
* New rubber driveshaft flex disc (donut or giubo)<br>
* New driveshaft center bearing and support<br>
* New windshield
* New motor mounts
* Replaced valve cover gasket
* Replaced the fuel pump, fuel filters and all rubber fuel lines
* Replaced rubber brake hoses and bled brakes. Front and rear pads >50%.
* Tune up - new NGK spark plugs, points and condenser. Adjusted timing
* New Rockford Fosgate speakers, vintage Pioneer radio / cassette player
* New inner tie rod ends, alignment
* Oil and filter change
* Adjusted SPICA cold start so Spider starts well cold or hot
* Adjusted door window channels to seal better
* Replaced door vapor barriers

Other recent work includes:
* Newer KYB shock absorbers
* Newer fuel tank
* Newer ANSA rear exhaust section
* Newer battery
* Led dash lights
* Newer shift boots
* Newer clutch master and slave cylinders
* Newer gearshift knob.

We are licensed dealers and we can accept financing from banks or credit unions. You are welcome to bring a mobile mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection, or pre-purchase inspections can be arranged after an agreed upon sales price and deposit.
The Spider has a clean, California title.
We are asking $5,995.00 or best offer.

Please call to schedule an appointment to drive it, or to learn more about it. Vehicle is shown by appointment only.

Esprit Motors LLC
1102 NE Shaver St. Portland, OR 97212
Oregon Dealer DA3964
Stock #046177 (last 6 digits of VIN)

At Esprit Motors we specialize in clean, mechanically excellent pre-owned Subarus and the occasional Alfa Romeo. We believe in honesty and transparency. Check out our customer reviews on Yelp, and visit our website to learn more about us at Esprit Motors - Portland Subaru Dealer

Disclaimer: We reserve the right to make changes without notice and are not responsible for errors or omissions. Advertised price does not include Oregon DMV fees (title, registration, plates, DEQ), or $110 title and registration document preparation fee for Oregon buyers.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to o mention the sale includes a new black Robbins canvas top, and some other misc parts that came with the car.

Lots more photos on our website at www dot Esprit Motors dot Com.

I'm happy to take more and send them as well for serious buyers.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I took some photos and videos of the surface rust on the hood, and the rust in the floorboards. Please click on the Google link below. If it's not working please let me know.

I also took a video of a cold start and a hot start, and showed the oil pressure at low and high engine speeds when hot (it's fine).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zjeSsAMy2vSbdoVg9

It's still a project, but a very driveable and usable project. I'm lending it to my neighbor this afternoon, that's how much I trust it. I'm not sure it would make it to LA, and I would certainly put new tires on it before driving it that far. But I trust it around town just fine.

I'm happy to work with a shipper if you're out of state, I will even drop it off at the local Manheim auction where trucks are always coming and going. If you want a better quote as to have it picked up at Manheim Portland, and delivered to a local auction near you. This will save you big $ and be much more likely to get results. Please get a shipping quote before making me an offer.

I'm open to offers, but if you're asking me to jump through a bunch of hoops to get it to a shipper I'd prefer to sell locally. I'm busy, and lazy, and if I can get the same price locally I'll take it.

Again please see our website at Esprit Motors - Portland Subaru Dealer for tons more photos.

Thanks!
Ian

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And we have a pending sale to our neighbor down the street!

Thanks for all the interest.

Ian

·
Registered
263 Posts
I think your description and detailed information on the condition is commendable. So many people exaggerate or minimize the negatives. You are brutally honest, which gives the buyer a confident feeling about what they're buying.

I appreciate it.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think your description and detailed information on the condition is commendable. So many people exaggerate or minimize the negatives. You are brutally honest, which gives the buyer a confident feeling about what they're buying.

I appreciate it.

Thank you.
Thanks I appreciate that. Honestly it's also to save myself the hassle of having people show up just to be disappointed. Plus a little CYA!

Good luck with your search, there are good ones out there.

Ian

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Our Spider is back up for sale!

We didn't have time to complete the sale before went on vacation to Europe, and now that we are back our neighbor has decided that since she doesn't have a garage she really shouldn't buy it. She has been trying to cinvince us to keep it and share the ownership, but keep it in our garage. Unfortunately I need that space for my long-suffering Berlina.

So it's back up for sale.

I can say that she drove it weekly for a month with no issues. It will definitely need suspension bushings refreshed and of course eventually the rust will need to be dealt with, but give that a similar Spider just sold for over $10k on BAT I think I have this fairly priced.

I am legally not allowed to ship it for anybody, but as I mentioned above I can give you a few names of shipping companies, and I can easily drive it to the local Manheim location for pickup. If you get a quote to have it delivered to the closest auto auction to you that will make shipping much cheaper.

Lots more photos and videos available at the link I posted above, or just ask.

Thanks!
Ian

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Our Spider has sold and is off to Seattle. Thanks to all who expressed interest.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Loving the Spider, and she seems to love her new home in Edmonds!

Still searching for center caps for the wheels, may just put a new set of wheels on instead...!

Cheers,

NyteMusic

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Glad to hear it! I'd love to still have it with this amazing weather we are having.

I believe this is who originally made those wheels:

I'm also a huge fan of Cromodora Daytonas on a Spider, or any Alfa.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts