Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
This Thursday I will be going to look at a 74 Alfa Romeo GTV for sale The car needs some work and has rust. The seller was nice enough to take a bunch of detailed pics of the car and post them for viewing. Could someone please take a look at the photos and let me know if you see any major issues?

Here's a link to the pics:

Thanks!

Will

·
Super Moderator
10,599 Posts
wdmcphee said:
please take a look at the photos and let me know if you see any major issues?
Yes, there are a number of major issues.

But first, let me ask what would your plans be for this car? If you are looking for an Alfa to restore, this is not a good candidate. Even if you got it for free, the cost of repairing the body would put the project "underwater". If you are thinking of just driving it "as-is", it may be too rust compromised to be safe (the seller did take a lot of photos, but none that I saw show the rocker panel area - the key structural part of these cars). A pre-purchase inspection by a body shop that specializes in restoration work - not just collision repair - is called for in a situation like this.

It does check pretty much every box for a rough Alfa GT:
  • Rust everywhere you look - clearly stored in a damp area
  • Carburetors substituted for Spica fuel injection
  • Underhood area painted black instead of body color
  • Torn up interior
  • Missing door check straps
  • Speaker holes cut into door panels
  • Visegrip holding something together in photo #11 (a sign of slipshod repairs)
You didn't mention whether it is running. The absence of a battery and license plates, as well as the rust on engine components, suggest it hasn't been on the road in a long time.

As a plus, it does have an interesting sunroof. The installation appears quite neat (see photo #46) - not the usual "pop up" style done by an amateur with a sabre saw in a weekend. Another plus is that the carburetor conversion was done with a factory Weber manifold instead of the usual adapters on the Spica manifold. But these are minor compared with the amount of body repairs this thing is going to require.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I too would pass on this, be patient and save up some more money and look for something better. The last thing you need is to get discouraged while dumping your hard earned cash into a money pit.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
"Some work?" This is a needs everything restoration which will easily cost $50k-100k and years of time. I've seen worse (Check out today's BaT GTV "parts" car that is already at $1500). Walk if not run away while you can. There never seems to be a shortage of GTVs on the market if you're patient.

·
Registered
1969 GTV 1750 Australia
316 Posts
I could not look anymore. Just too sad. Walk away. There are much much better cars.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Yesterday, this would have been a parts car. Today, a very expensive restoration.

I'm curious what the asking price is.
I agree with you Brian. This is a Canadian car, which has obviously seen a few bad winters, instead of being stored away. There is an asking price at $8,500. CDN. Its been on and off the market here for a couple of years at least. Its seen a few different owners during this time, each of which have probably figured its going to be very costly to restore and want to find a much better example.

·
Administrator
12,564 Posts
I used to say every 105 is restorable, but its an undesirable 74 2000 ... if a step nose, 1600 or 1750, worth the effort.

But if you are actually wanting to buy a tough restoration project, you have found it.
Pete

·
Super Moderator
10,599 Posts
There is an asking price at $8,500. CDN.
Sadly, it really isn't worth that much, since its restoration cost would be so much greater than the price of better cars. Perhaps it's worth $1,000 - $1,500 as a parts car, though a lot of the trim is too corroded to be of much value.

·
Registered
29 Posts
No pictures of the rockers - run away and find a solid body to restore...

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've seen this car in person. It's not terminal, but definitely not worth the $8.5K that's being asked. I was put off by the fact that it's not an "honest" car. There is definitely body filler on it covering even more rust.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts