Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i'm looking for some information on a 1974 Alfa Romeo GTV with a Montreal V8 conversion.
The mechanic who initiated the conversion hangs out in my local bar and the other day he was lamenting having to sell it.
It was incomplete at the time but for whatever reason he had to part ways with it, probably something to do with having kids.

I was hoping to help him find it in hopes of maybe him buying it back if it was ever to be sold.

I found these pictures on 'bring a trailer' but it was a post from years ago and they don't have any information.

He says this is the car.

Anyone out there know where this car might be today? Thanks for any information.
Cheers,
Colin

Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Vehicle

·
Richard Jemison
8,752 Posts
There was a GTV with Montreal (marine" engine built by a Porsche dealership owner that was here in Pensacola for chassis building. It ended up in Au.
The owner had made the comment that the marine Montreal "wouldn`t pull a greasy string out of a cat`s a$$! "

There was more info in a thread here several years ago.

Having built the "Montreal Coupe" with a engine set well rearward, such a fitment took big chassis, firewall , and tunnel mods

The thread of the build is:
It`s sill in my garage, but now with a Dry Sump 2 liter race engine...

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

Hood Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
At the Toronto Convention, I as given the opportunity to drive an Alfetta GT with a Montreal engine!!
It was Fantastic!! The sound was absolute Heaven!!

·
Registered
1979 Sprint Veloce
444 Posts
At the Toronto Convention, I as given the opportunity to drive an Alfetta GT with a Montreal engine!!
It was Fantastic!! The sound was absolute Heaven!!
It wasn't one of those crazy rare GT V8s (w/Montreal engine) that Alfa built as a prototype, was it?

Vehicle Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
It wasn't one of those crazy rare GT V8s (w/Montreal engine) that Alfa built as a prototype, was it?
No, it started off as a 2.0L.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Here is a picture I found from the 2012 Alfa Convention (courtesy of Papajam):
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Rim

Reactions: HeavyMetalAlfa

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
"It wasn't one of those crazy rare GT V8s (w/Montreal engine) that Alfa built as a prototype, was it?"
Hi Sam, I wish!! I wish they had done a large run of those!!
It was a great Jamaican man, who did an amazing job of putting a Montreal engine in an an Alfetta. Very well done and a blast to drive!
Now, back to our original program,, .

·
Registered
67 Posts
So I think I know this car. I looked at it back in 2011 with Rich Ott. The car was up somewhere north of Chico CA. I was interested and once Rich looked at it he made two comments. The motor in the car at one point belong to him...might have been misappropiated without his approval...he was not making an issue just informing the current owner. Second the firewall had been cut out and that was the part that scared me. The cost to make it right, and keep the montreal engine, was the big unkown. He would only trust Arnold Zucki (sp) to do it and it would be a unknown cost until i brought it to him.....Given that the engine had water in the oil and was going to require a rebuild, the cost of the firewall and the fact it was no longer stock pushed me away from it.

Ended up with a stock 2.0 I am still reassembling, but still think about that car.....

·
Registered
936 Posts
Firewall is just another piece of sheet metal ...

Pete
Thank you Pete.
Words of encouragement as Im missing almost every horizontal and vertical piece inside my car
One day it will return.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Btw. Larry Dickman of APE fame had one snd cast the bell housings to mate a monty 8 to the 105 gearbox

1 - 16 of 16 Posts