Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time to replace the rear shocks 1973 GTV. Consulting my older repair manual" unbolt top, unbolt bottom, collapse shock and remove". But it doesn't say where. Attaching a picture of the top shock turret which is bolted with two bolts. Is this the way to go? Or drop the trailing arm?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Drop the trailing arm... assuming you can safely support the car high enough and get a jack under the rear end of the trailing arm to slowly release the spring pressure... the axle straps will support the axle as you lower the rear end of the trailing arm. Once the spring is uncompressed you can pull out the shock and spring.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Well, I’ve done it from the top, by removing those two turret bolts, and just the shock nuts below the trailing arms. Seemed simpler to me... it is a bit hard to get to those turret bolts If you try via the trunk: remove the seat back to get access thru a hole/hatch there - turret and shock can then be pulled straight up.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I’ve done it from the top, by removing those two turret bolts, and just the shock nuts below the trailing arms. Seemed simpler to me... it is a bit hard to get to those turret bolts If you try via the trunk: remove the seat back to get access thru a hole/hatch there - turret and shock can then be pulled straight up.
I can see the bolt top, but no nuts underneath. Do they fall loose or are the fixed in place? Anyone who has done it both ways, can you comment on your preference.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Captured nuts under those turret bolts, welded to the body - no nuts to drop away or lose. The turret then lifts away with the shock. A side benefit is that it’s easier to get the top shock nuts off when it’s all off the car, as if anything is seized, the shock shaft just spins.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts