Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
1973 2000 GTV
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a few know so far I have recently purchased a 73’ 2000 GTV. The car has been stripped down to metal and bondo’d but it OBVIOUSLY needs a total strip down back to bare metal and all the metal work completed. The only question left is whether to respray the original color which was Champagne (I haven’t pulled the exact paint code yet). Or a respray in something else. I personally love Le Mans blue. I’m lucky enough to be involved in the dealership industry and I have easy access to proper painters and facilities so that’s not of concern.
I guess the question is coming up because while I am attempting to build my Alfa, I have a new wife and eventually children and such. I personally want a Le Mans blue car, but I don’t want changing the factory color to cause me a huge resell value hit in the future. We’re talking full body spray on a rotisserie by pros so the quality isn’t in question.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1973 2000 GTV
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As a few know so far I have recently purchased a 73’ 2000 GTV. The car has been stripped down to metal and bondo’d but it OBVIOUSLY needs a total strip down back to bare metal and all the metal work completed. The only question left is whether to respray the original color which was Champagne (I haven’t pulled the exact paint code yet). Or a respray in something else. I personally love Le Mans blue. I’m lucky enough to be involved in the dealership industry and I have easy access to proper painters and facilities so that’s not of concern.
I guess the question is coming up because while I am attempting to build my Alfa, I have a new wife and eventually children and such. I personally want a Le Mans blue car, but I don’t want changing the factory color to cause me a huge resell value hit in the future. We’re talking full body spray on a rotisserie by pros so the quality isn’t in question.
i meant to say I am building the car initially as my dream Alfa, but at the same time I need to be realistic and retaining value is important due to the constantly changing circumstances in my life at this stage.

·
Administrator
13,651 Posts
Your car. Your priority should be getting this done asap before kids come along ...

Best
Pete

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
i meant to say I am building the car initially as my dream Alfa, but at the same time I need to be realistic and retaining value is important due to the constantly changing circumstances in my life at this stage.
If it's your dream to have a Le Mans blue GTV, do it! Don't worry about resale value, especially since it will be a full rotisserie by the pros. I think it's safe to say more buyers would rather have a blue GTV than a champagne GTV.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I love LeMans blu.
I vote for it.
If you're doing a total strip and respray, I seriously doubt you'll have resale issues if it is done well.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Build what you want, and it sounds like that is a le mans blue car. In any case it still is an oe color, so it should not be of big influence to the cars value.

And like Pete said: get it done before kids arrive as you'll run out of time quickly (with a 3 and 5 y.o. trust me, I know ;-))

·
Registered
1979 Sprint Veloce
215 Posts
Blue, yes! I'm back in an Alfa after being out of it for 30 years (family, of course). Now that the girls are 16 and 21, I can justify it. Don't wait like I did, b/c I had to sell my Velocissima Edition Alfetta GT before I had a chance to do any restoration work on it all those years ago.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Champagne color on a GTV isn't a bad color, but LeMan Blu will give it a lot more presence.
The first Alfa I saw as a child was deep burgundy GTV with beige interior.
I've been in love with them ever since.

·
Super Moderator
11,374 Posts
If you're doing a total strip and respray, I seriously doubt you'll have resale issues if it is done well...
... and you're painting it in a period-correct, factory color. Now, if you were contemplating painting it metallic pink, it would be another story. The original factory color is far less in the Alfa community than for marques like Porsche & Ferrari.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I thought I remembered this info, and I used it, to research a color. Don't know if it still works.

Hi stevebr1, welcome to AlfaBB!

There is no "code" within the chassis number (i.e. no information about color, options, etc.) as there is with other manufacturers. You may want to send your chassis number in an e-mail to Marco Fazio at [email protected] and ask him for information. He usually replies within a few days with manufacturing date, sales date (and where it was sold to) original color and type of interior.

·
Registered
912 Posts
...because most Alfisti are more concerned about driving their cars than with this originality b*llsh*t. We're not museum curators.
You are correct that Alfa’s are to be driven. That is why I have 6 or 7 small things that need to be dealt with. It seem I never get to them. Nothing that effects the drivability. On the other hand I want my Alfa to looks it very best. Alfa’s are starting to see a rise in value! They are no were near Porsche values. Yes we have true drivers on our Alfa’s

Ken Smith

·
Super Moderator
11,374 Posts
I thought I remembered this info, and I used it, to research a color. Don't know if it still works.....You may want to send your chassis number in an e-mail to Marco Fazio at [email protected] and ask him for information. He usually replies within a few days with manufacturing date, sales date (and where it was sold to) original color and type of interior.
OK, thanks for setting me straight. I know the factory doesn't supply engine # information and of course, there weren't any options. But I thought data was limited to the date the car was built and its home market - guess not. I have edited post #11.

·
Premium Member
1973 2000 GTV
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All the responses are great guys, Le Mans Blue it is. I agree the champagne color didn’t look bad like 1978Alfa said. But I want the car to stand out more in a good way. I want when some little kid sees it to go omg what is that car.

·
Premium Member
1973 2000 GTV
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My uncle has had a 1971 1750 GTV sitting in his detached garage since the 80’s. Parked it one day in perfect condition and just never took it back out. But the deep freezer of my aunt and uncles house was in that garage. So my entire childhood at their house if I wanted a hot pocket or an ice cream I had to walk past this old dusty car.

when I was old enough to finally start asking him about it he made it clear he’s way too sentimental to ever sell it. But it started a life long obsession nearly 30 years ago.

I drew that smilie in the rear window over twenty years ago and it’s still there today. Never loved that particular shade of green but the lines of the car, the presence. It never left me.

·
Premium Member
1973 2000 GTV
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
And sadly no, I will not reveal his location for anyone lol, if the stubborn man ever decides to sell then that bad boy is mine. But ogling her for a
lifetime. Should start a new thread on Alfa love origin stories.

·
Administrator
13,651 Posts
You need to help your uncle understand how much you love Alfa Romeos, then he will consider passing it on to you, i.e. he needs to find the right next owner who shares the love.

BTW: Do up that window to keep the mice, dust, etc. out. Thankfully it appears to be a dry garage so great :)
Pete

·
Registered
912 Posts
I love the color. My dad had the same color and I think the same year.
When you do get the car you will have to break into your pig bank. After 30 years you will have a lot of rubber components to replace, might have to reseal the engine, bad gas and frozen brakes. It will be worth every dime you spend on a original GTV!

Ken Smith

1 - 20 of 64 Posts