Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a GTV project that has pretty severe rust all around the front windshield. Would I be better off trying to cut out and repair these or just look for replacement parts? Replacements seem to be the better option in my opinion and if so, is there a website that I could buy these panels from or would I need to look for someone selling the panels or a roof/front clip section to replace mine. The pics I've posted don't show the whole section but do show the rust on both driver and passenger side. Thanks in advance for the advice!

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
is there a website that I could buy these panels from or would I need to look for someone selling the panels or a roof/front clip section to replace mine.
That is pretty rusty! have a look here Bigmart's thread to see the way the pillars are built. I don't think these parts are available as repro, so either you rebuild or indeed replace from a parts car. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
You need to get the windshield and rear window as well as rear side glass out to see what more rust you may have hidden there. That will help with your decision on how to proceed.
There are a few threads on this BB that show the restoration of quite rusty Alfa GTs to again help with your decision on how to proceed.

Your's appears to be a daunting project, not for the faint of heart, those short of time or short on access to resourses (equipment, skills and monitary).

Regards

Ken

·
Registered
280 Posts
I went through this bout a year ago...First, i would be checking thetop of the windshield are to see if there is rust up there...if so and it is bad, the supporting crossmember might also be rusty in which case you really would need to cut out a poiece from another roof. The bottom of the windsheild area also may be rusty so I would recommend checking that out before making decisions on how to approach it. to give you a sense for hwo long it might take, mine had all that rust i just mentioen, and it took me about 140 hours to bring it back to shape. If I was a professional it might have only taken ~100 hours...had I bought a roof section it would probably been about half that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts