Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to identify classic engines from their engine numbers?? We bought a 1973 GTJ and want to restore it but cannot find a car history as the engine does not have the 17-digit VIN introduced in 1981 that is required to search online.

Chassis number: AR2206923
Engine number: AR00548H0827
:confused:

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
First off, welcome to the BB! You'll find most all the information you'd ever want here.

Now, about your Junior. I believe chassis number AR2206923 is a right-hand drive car and should have a 1600cc engine with a number starting with 00536. Engines with a prefix of 00548 are, I believe, 1750cc engines. If so, you couldn't ask for a better engine. If you're not worried about your car being 100% original, I'd leave it as it's a great improvement over the 1600. Alfa Romeo did not keep records as to which engine went to which car so, if you want to revert back to the 1600, an engine in the proper range is perfectly acceptable.

If you'd like to find out more information about your GTJ, send an email with your car's chassis number to Marco Fazio at [email protected]. He's normally very quick to reply.

Once you've received your information, please post it on this thread (with pictures, of course) to add your car to the Registry.

Congratulations on your purchase!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts