Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Gents,

I have take a chance and purchased a 2000 Berlina unseen.
Pino Verde over Tan Alfa Tex.
The car have sunroof and head rests.
Does anyone know if these two item were extras back in the day?

Thank you in advance.
The head rests were standard but I thought the sun roof was a dealer installed option?

·
Super Moderator
11,776 Posts
The head rests were standard but I thought the sun roof was a dealer installed option?
The sunroof was certainly not factory-installed. Yes, the dealer could have done it, but back in that era, there were lots of local shops putting in aftermarket sunroofs (at least here in the US).

AutodeltaGTA2: We could give you more detailed answers if we had some photos of that roof.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you gents,

Below is all i got. (Yes it needs a paint job :))

If you enlarge the picture from the rear you will get an idea of the inside. It appears to be neatly done.

berlina back.jpg

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,776 Posts
Hmm... I have to admit that the sunroof looks far more professional than the usual aftermarket job. The fact that it's metal and matches the contours of the original roof are impressive.

I was expecting something more like:

·
Premium Member
22,956 Posts
Nice car.
No factory sunroofs.
US cars got headrests starting in 1969. These look stock to me but I don't know if all markets got them in all years. Plus seats can be swapped from one car to another.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
22,956 Posts
The pictures I found online of non-US 2000 Berlinas show headrests.
The sunroof maker is Webasto but there were others too.
Andrew

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Webasto makes to this day most sunroofs for the automobile manufacturers. Aftermarket installations were always a small portion of their market. Retrofitting sunroofs on late model cars has become impossible due to the reinforcements required to comply with crash requirements.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for the input.

The car will arrive at my place just after Easter and will do some more detailed photos then.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, the car arrived yesterday.
The good news is that it didn't arrive on a trailer but made the 850km trip on its own wheels.
The bad news is that it needs more work than expected.
Stiffer and better suspension is required and the interior needs to be freshened up.

it also have the centre armrest in the rear seat which i believe was available as an option?
Pictures of the mystery sunroof below. It works by pulling the handle, which makes it drop down a few cm and can then be pushed back.
interior.jpg
handle.jpg
Outside.jpg

·
Registered
499 Posts
Pull down rear centre armrest was standard as far as i know (well from what i can see).

Only the S1 1750 Berlina had a removal centre armrest with a 'box' section that could be changed with a cushion piece.

S2's 1750's and 2000's all had the pull down armrest.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Congrats on your Berlina.
I wouldn't be so concerned about a stiffer suspension or the interior at the moment... whats going on, on the roof? Looks like a ton a filler was applied at some point.
Your probably better off to find a filler free roof from a donor Berlina and replace what you have there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Anthony,

The cracks are present all over the body in all places that are exposed to direct sun. The lower 50cm and front and back panels have no cracks at all.

According to my local body shop (where i took the car today) there is hardly any filler anywhere on the body.
He is of the opinion (based on 40+ years of experience) that the various layers of paint have been applied far too quickly and the car afterwards has been left in the sun too early.

The initial quote i have received for the paint job is almost as much as i paid for the car so bearing in mind that the car is not particularly rare and its overall condition is not good enough to make it a trailer queen, i might just convert the cracks to "patina" and focus on it mechanical condition making it a strong and fun drivers car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts