Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone remember the location of the 1973 AROC Convention? I have a badge in my '69 1750 Spider from "Alfaspen 73" (see attached photo) which says it was sponsored by Alfa Club of Colorado. I'm curious if it was a national or just a local chapter event. I know I attended a later national convention in Aspen that I believe was 1977 and included a track day at the Woody Creek Raceway and included national participation. Were there two AROC conventions located in Aspen in the early and mid '70's?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Does anyone remember the location of the 1973 AROC Convention? I have a badge in my '69 1750 Spider from "Alfaspen 73" (see attached photo) which says it was sponsored by Alfa Club of Colorado. I'm curious if it was a national or just a local chapter event. I know I attended a later national convention in Aspen that I believe was 1977 and included a track day at the Woody Creek Raceway and included national participation. Were there two AROC conventions located in Aspen in the early and mid '70's?
AROC National Conventions were held at Aspen both 1973 and 1977. Colorado also hosted at Copper Mountain in 1994. BTW, a complete listing of convention locations can be found in the back of the convention manual in the library at the club website. AROC-USA.org

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AROC-Colorado Conventions

Thanks for the quick reply. So there were two AROC conventions in the 70's in Aspen and one in the '90's at Copper Mountain. I guess making 2 of the 3 Colorado events in person and the third by way of an acquired car is a good thing.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. So there were two AROC conventions in the 70's in Aspen and one in the '90's at Copper Mountain. I guess making 2 of the 3 Colorado events in person and the third by way of an acquired car is a good thing.
Even better if you are still a member of the club!! :w00t:

(Then you could support the CO chapter hosting another [great] convention!!)

·
Registered
170 Posts
My car was at the 73 convention, it's a red 1958 veloce spider with Kansas or Missouri plates.
It would be cool if someone had a picture of it. The convention was part of my Dad's friend Dave's honeymoon, family pitched all the old pictures they had of the car when he passed away.

·
Premium Member
3,792 Posts
Hi Glenn,

We attended all three Colorado conventions, had a wonderful time, and would welcome a repeat. However, just to stir the pot, I understand Nashville is bidding for the 2016 convention (and events at the National Corvette Museum's new racetrack in Bowling Green KY?). So maybe Colorado in 2017, but I also heard jungle drums beating for San Diego...

Yes, Co in 2016!!

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
1973 AROC Convention location

There was a 1973 Alfa Convention in Ann Arbor MI, I was 19 years old and I had just purchased my first Alfa Romeo (still have it ) a 1969 GTV 1750 from Art Vis - AROC member #31.
I remember members of the Detroit Chapter who attended such as John Hoard, Kathelyn S. Tom Humphry, Joe Benson, I also remember meeting Bob Little there.
Bill Mitchell from GM showed up in a "Pegasus" a custom built car to resemble the Spanish built Pegasus body on a GM Firebird chassis with a racing 12 cylinder Ferrari engine, a gift from Enzo himself. GM also brought out the 4 rotor Wankel engine Corvette. Good times are so easy to remember, thanks for the reminder of the 1973 Detroit Alfa Romeo Convention. Many years have gone by, I have owned 5 Alfa, I still have my original 69GTV, a 1979 Alfetta Sport Sedan and a 1989 Milano Verde.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.