Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I own a '71 with a 2L and dual Webers. Fantastic sound and the throttle snaps! I love it.
I own a '74 with a 2L and SPICA. Mechanical fuel injectors are cool. They're analog computers controlling four small pistons pumping gas to the engine. What could go wrong with such a set up!!!

Assuming nobody has "messed" with some important setting and as long as it's mechanically sound, the system can be put back into good condition and fully adjusted. The throttle won't snap when blipped (as compared to dual Webers). The music of air rushing to a carb is not there. But if you do the conversion, you won't have to mess with the TA or change the SPICA filter and oil, or check for gas in the oil, because the pump is leaking.

Remember that if you change to dual Webers, you lose the originality of the US market car. Also consider this; the European versions has dual Webers for many, many years after they stopped sending them to the US. If your car stayed in Europe, it would have dual Webers from the factory.

So, since dual Webers were used in Europe, you could say that to retain the true soul of the car you should be using carbs.

Personally, I like the dual Weber set up. I like the response of the motor. I like the sound of the air breathing through the carbs. I like having a simpler system under the hood (you get rid of a lot of things - it's not just the SPICA pump). And you have more room to work under the hood on the right side. And there's less chance of something breaking and leaving you on the side of the road.

My recommendation is to see if you can get her to run with the SPICA system. If you can and you get it tuned properly, then enjoy the car for the summer and make the Weber transformation part of the winter maintenance/upgrade plan.

When your car is right, you'll feel it. If you love the mechanical aspect of these older Italian gems, I can guarantee that your red '84 will be collecting dust as you enjoy the heck out of your new car! My guess is that you'll wind up selling it.

Enjoy and keep us posted on your progress!

Autobroker!

Thanks for responding! It’s funny you mention originality though. This paint job is sooooo incredibly unoriginal, so keeping it “authentic” isn’t part my plan.

You mention “snap throttle”, what is actually meant by this?

The way you describe the Webers functioning makes it seem like it’s the motoring bliss I am seeking!!

Petrolicious!

(Google if you are unfamiliar with the site, I highly recommend it!)

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I just noticed that the side markers are gone. You have a nice clean look to the car. If you want to give her a more Euro look, you can put the round markers on the side (be careful you don't damage something under the paint). Also, Carrillo headlight covers would be a nice addition. And pull the bumpers in tighter (both fronts and back).

Your front end looks high. Check the springs - if they're the wrong ones, change them and while you in there, some new Koni's would be nice.

Good news - your camber looks good. Ball joints should be good and most likely the rest of the suspension parts also. Though you may need to change the rubber parts. If you put urethane bushing instead of rubber, you may notice a difference in the feel. You'll have to decide if you like the tightness of urethane bushings.

I like the look of your car and barring a bad motor and tranny or some really bad rust, I'd say you did well.

Round markers on the side? I’m sorry I am not familiar? Any pictures of a European spider?

Will headlight covers mean I have to drill into the body? Do they install without damaging anything?

I’m assuming adjusting the bumpers isn’t a big deal? Simply done?

I agree the front does seem high, but it’ll have to wait...

A lot needs to be tackled before this car moves under its own power..

Rust doesn’t seem to be an issue, we’ll see if the motor is happy soon!

·
Registered
185 Posts
@tremere613

You mention “snap throttle”, what is actually meant by this?
Another description is to blip the throttle (a quick step on the throttle). The SPICA has a slight hesitation, while the dual Webers respond instantly. Logically, I think it has to do with the SPICA pump (gas has to be pumped from those tiny pistons and there's a slight delay). With a dual carb set up, the gas is forced into the intake by mechanical pressure (accelerator pump), thus instant response. If my '71 were running, I'd take a video and you could compare it to my '74 with SPICA or my '80 with a single throttle body SPICA.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Round markers on the side? I’m sorry I am not familiar? Any pictures of a European spider?
Here's my "Euro" '74 Spider.... you can see what the side markers and Carello headlight covers look like....

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
She cleans up well, how is she running? Plates?
Runs like a dream!! Webers are in perfect tune and the 123 Ignition with spark balancing further enhances the smoothness with no flat spots.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I love those wheels!!!!!!

What are they called?
They are Alfaholics ALFA GTA replica wheels 15x7 (Lightweight version)

Alfaholics GTA 7×15 Superleggera - https://www.alfaholics.com/race-parts/105-series/wheels/alfaholics-gta-veloce-7x15-superleggera/

BTW- The headlight covers and side turn signal are standard on my car here in Australia.

Everything for Alfa outside of the USA seems to be referred to as Euro. The world had the same 105 cars with Webers, small bumpers etc. The 115 is the Federalised 105.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts