Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For Sale - 1973 Alfa Romeo Spider

I decided to keep and restore this car. Thanks for all the advice and info in the thread.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Seller is a good guy, I’ve seen the car, and it is as described.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Good write up and a fair price for a driver, Gabes. Reality check - this will not bring big money anytime soon in it's current state, but the early S2 spiders are increasing in value slowly (possibly the next big "thing") , and a few easy fixes will help it sell well. If you go outside the BB to list it, I recommend the following to get it up to around $7000: Describe the paint using the word "Patina" multiple times, you'll never go wrong... :) A new or refurbished valve cover gasket (fairly inexpensive) will turn the engine bay into a solid looker and help the sale as well. Show results from a compression test. Source some of the missing bits, like the big tube from the airbox to the front intake, and the windshield washer fluid tank that fits behind the airbox on the firewall (good luck). If the SPICA hasn't been rebuilt recently, the new owner will need to get in the queue at Ingram Enterprises ASAP. Any educated buyer will know that; others will just do a carb swap (meh). Transmission and suspension work is a big plus, make sure you accentuate that. Stance looks good, euro spec. Back end looks good, front bumper fix is necessary and should happen before sale to draw more interest. I love the shaved look; deleted side markers and lack of rubber door guards are a classy, understated mod that pair well with the Carillo headlight covers. Tan top and interior look great with the red paint. This is a unique Spider, and there are many positives to accentuate.

To all you lookers, I'd say buy it now, get the minor mechanical issues sorted out, do as much as you can yourself, and show it off at your local cars & coffee as an Italian Rat Rod while you save up money for the necessary paint job. Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JB thanks for taking the time to comment. I agree with all of your points and I would take the time myself to sort this car to a higher standard if I didn't have my other projects competing for my time. I'm hoping I can pass this along to someone here willing to take the time as this car really deserves it. I also wanted to price the car fairly and feel my price leaves some meat on the bone so someone can add value to this car with a little sweat equity. However if it doesn't sell soon I may just keep it a little longer and fix it up myself.

Note, I do have the plastic air intake tube and some other bits including a new valve cover gasket that I haven't had a chance to install. I have been meaning to do a compression test as it looks so easy on these cars - it's a much bigger pain to do on a flat-6 Porsche. According to the maintenance records the SPICA injection was replaced with a "good used" unit at some point however I realize this still doesn't give an indication of the life left in it. It appears that the TA works fine as the car runs well from cold idle to warm. The microswitch appears to be bad as it's disconnected and when I connect it the car doesn't want to run. I do know that when I changed the oil there was no gas in the oil and the motor starts easily and runs strong - so I wouldn't worry too much in the immediate future about the SPICA. I did change all of the soft fuel lines and filters myself so I know the next owner will be good as far as a maintenance perspective. I'm happy to walk any interested parties though all of the quirks I know about the car. It's definitely not a pristine show car however it's mostly just cosmetic stuff that needs sorting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts