Alfa Romeo Forums banner

81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Where did 1 month go!

Anyway, progress continues and now both rear fenders are on (for better or worse) and the passenger side rear pillar window rot has been fixed with metal.
Photo's of progress are below, and I am sure you'll all be able to follow along :)

Enjoy. But try to remember it's not a beauty contest at this point in time!
Just trying to get the rust out, the steel or fiberglass on, and some paint on it.
What may have been great for your resto, may or may not be great for mine. Shoot me if you must ;).

Alfa Romeo - Cleco Pin by Ian Bennett, on Flickr

Alfa Romeo GTAm Panel Bonding by Ian Bennett, on Flickr

Alfa Romeo Metal Repair and Piston Selection by Ian Bennett, on Flickr

A bit rough, but here is the spare tire well.

Alfa Romeo GTAm fiberglass wings attached by Ian Bennett, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
6,348 Posts
My hat is off to you. I don't think I'd attempt what you are doing, all I can offer is moral support:)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
It's been a while

So I have been working pretty hard this fall.
Things continue to progress.

Mostly, the important thing is when you are grafting fiberglass to steel, just hammer the steel so it is as close to the fiberglass as possible. The rear end was SOO screwed up compared to the front, so I was forced to either cut and weld custom pieces or use Evercoat fibertech filler to bridge the gap. I choose the Evercoat fibertech early on, but it probably would have been the same amount of time if I had cut metal and scribed it in to fill in the gaps. So fielders choice as the effort is mostly the same in my opinion.

Alfa Romeo GTV metal repair - Body and extreme filler work by Ian Bennett, on Flickr

Alfa Romeo GTV metal repair - Body and extreme filler work by Ian Bennett, on Flickr

Rear Panel Alfa Romeo Restoration - GTAm Replica/Racer by Ian Bennett, on Flickr

Rear Panel Alfa Romeo Restoration - GTAm Replica/Racer by Ian Bennett, on Flickr

The wife helped and we were finally ready to turn the car around (yes it could always have been better, but sometimes you just need to move on to a new section of the car to keep progress feeling like progress!)

Alfa Romeo GTAm Fender install by Ian Bennett, on Flickr

Both front fenders were SOOO much better to get onto the car as the fit was easier. I think upon closer inspection, this fender kit was for a step-nose car, as the front wings feel like they were made for the step-nose fenders.

Alfa Romeo GTAm - fender attachment using 3M panel bond by Ian Bennett, on Flickr

Alfa Romeo GTAm - fender attachment using 3M panel bond by Ian Bennett, on Flickr

Not sure she is 'impressed' yet but she isn't asking me to stop, so that's win!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Progress continues with 2k Epoxy Primer from Eastwood

So I finished some 2k primer over the entire car back in early December of 2016.
Things continued to progress on the engine front, but I have backed off the body a bit.

More on the engine later, but so far here she is in some primer, sad thing, is that I still have a LOT of body work to do!
But, that will come this spring as things start warming up and any primer/paint that goes on the car will have a good chance of sticking.

Wet
Alfa Romeo GTAm - 2K Epoxy Paint (wet) by Ian Bennett, on Flickr

Wet

Wet

Dry Primer
Alfa Romeo GTAm - 2K epoxy primer - dry & black by Ian Bennett, on Flickr

Now that it's all 'one color' I am having a very hard mental time sanding it and putting it back into sanding/filler/dent fixing mode!
Others must have the same feelings?

So, I turned all attention to the TS engine, porting the head, and getting my rebuild going.
Very soon I expect to have the funds to drop on Spruel's big $ items for the TS, and a few custom things I am doing myself as a way to have fun with the project and experiment.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
So it's been months.....and body work continues...roof has about 10 hrs into it and I am finally realizing ....I should have bought a straighter car!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Well, progress continues.
It's mostly all body work, and part buying for my Twin Spark engine (and **** are engine parts expensive!! had to put the breaks on before things spun wildly out of hand!)

So, because the engine isn't going hot and heavy, I got the roof finished up, and my street-race-car goals are what keep me from losing my mind smoothing every single last ripple in the roof. it's 99%, and as I am not one of the 1%'ers, that will need to be good enough for me.

Honestly, for me (and everyone is different) 2 full years on metal work and body work to get to final paint will be a success. (I play to paint it red this fall)
If I screwed something up, and something doesn't fit in the future, I'll deal with it then (famous last words right!)

In the meantime, I purchased the only two panels I couldn't fabricate from classic alfa today.
Two outer sills (left and right) which are pretty complex, and require some real skill in building if I was to build them myself.
275$ later, and they should be here in about 4-5 weeks, maybe earlier.

More to come my friends...there is always more to come!

·
Premium Member
6,348 Posts
If they have them in stock they should be here in a week. :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
turns out it takes 2 days

If they have them in stock they should be here in a week. :)
Turns out it takes only 2 days...they DHL Express shipped them for 59 GBP, and like all Alfisti, once you are committed to spending money on panels and they only offer one shipping option, you just say 'yes maamm, may I have another'.

Overall, kinda excited to be putting the last bit of sheet metal onto the car.
Crap, just remembered I need to switch out the aluminum spool I have in the mid welder (I was experimenting welding aluminum)...****...ahh well, life is meant to be a series of self-inflicted challenges!

·
Premium Member
6,348 Posts
Their panels are top notch and it's not as hard as it initially looks on the install. I drilled holes in the bottom skirt and made like a spot weld up the hole to secure it to the bottom of the car.
How did the aluminum welding go with the mig? I bought a roll of al wire and was going to give it a try just to see what happens.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Their panels are top notch and it's not as hard as it initially looks on the install. I drilled holes in the bottom skirt and made like a spot weld up the hole to secure it to the bottom of the car.
How did the aluminum welding go with the mig? I bought a roll of al wire and was going to give it a try just to see what happens.

Aluminum welding too cast with co2 went like **** and is a total fail!!! Going to get pure argon on my next tank...see if that helps things...stay tuned

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Spraying g2 featherfill was fun through the 2.2 tip ....sanding continues!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
So, after the grey spot-primer was shot in June above...progress has been on filling EVERY single little imperfection in the car.
This means I grab the can of Rage Gold filler, fill a 3mm spot let it dry sand it.
I walk around the car, look for more flaws, fill again, sand again, fill again, sand again.... all over the car.

However, I have run out of problems (can you ever really 'run out' on an alfa?) or I am just tired of the two months of doing this that it's time to goto the final primer coat.
My wife will then troll over the car with blue tape and identify problems that my eye's have missed (there will certainly be some) then we'll fill those, then sand those, then shoot with the sealer/primer and final sand with 180 then 220 grit then we'll shoot the color AR501n from Standox :).

Here is where we are at at the moment
Alfa Romeo GTAm Replica Body Work - Rage Gold, fiberglass fender flares, tons of hand sanding work!!!! by Ian Bennett, on Flickr

Alfa Romeo GTAm Replica Body Work - Rage Gold, fiberglass fender flares, tons of hand sanding work!!!! by Ian Bennett, on Flickr

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
So...been working a little....(but sadly only a little)...

Got to the point where I really need a baseline to go-from to stay productive.
Especially after attaching the outer rocker's/Outer Sill (I welded them in the end and did not use panel bond).
Was a tough fitting, but they are on now as you can see in these shots.

Also got the flared rear fenders properly adhered to the rear arches (there was a gap there, but welded it up and did some panel bond garage-build-race-car ****) to get it done.
Christmas break I will continue progress by filling and sanding and filling and sanding...
As you can see from the photo's, PLENTY of work left to do!

Prep before the feather fill was getting 'close enough' at this point...

Let the nieghbor grab the spray gun for a minute....was fun to see him lay down some poly-primer.
Alfa Romeo GTAm - Featherfill g2 final primer by Ian Bennett, on Flickr

Not the worst lines ever..good enough for my garage anyway!

Right after spraying

Rear 3/4 after spraying

That GTAM fendor gap filling that had to go on
GTAm Alfa Romeo fender attachment by Ian Bennett, on Flickr

Like I said...a LITTLE bit more work to do here ...hahah :)

Until next time my friends..
Alfa Romeo GTAm - being turned around to work on the passenger side... by Ian Bennett, on Flickr

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Almost at yearly updates now...

Here are some recent pics of painting this House of Kolor Sg105 (red)

Also used the Kd3004 their tinted red primer and that combo was good.

I keep fixing thin spots especially where the gel coat from the flares is underneath and wasn’t covered by a really good coat of primer.

Full-clear this fall after knocking back with 600/800 grit.

81 - 97 of 97 Posts