The good:
-I own the car
-Suspension is new
-It has wheels
-It has fender flares GTAm Style
-It has brakes
-It has window winder hardware inside the doors still
-Rear differential is there and is LSD
-9/1 - Update, to I know what the car is going to be...a Street Race with GTAm Inspiration.

The Bad:
-No interior
-No glass
-No external hardware (bumpers, door handles etc.)
-No transmission
-No Engine
-No cooling
-Few trim moldings of any kind
-Most rust is surface rust

The Ugly:
-Rust has taken hold on front and rear sills and elsewhere
-I have no idea what parts I am missing
-Outer Rocker is gone Left
-Outer Rocker is gone right
-Door skin is gone left
-Dash is gone/shot
-Wiring harness is gone/shot (unsure if it's repairable)
-Rear collision (major panel damage some structural damage)
-Front collision (minor panel damage)
-rear window, front window, door all require metal repair (custom shapes)
-Rear shelf was hacked for speakers

More photo's can be found on the flickr site:
https://flic.kr/s/aHskgF2Q5Y

Tasks Done To date:
-Removed stainless sill plate on passenger side to review the extent of sill rust.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
Well, this will certainly be a TOTAL restoration. Good luck, it'll be fun to watch.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Work Continues

Work has started on removing the rocker panel (the outer sill/skin) and what's left of it. Notice it MAY be the only truly ruined piece of the sills. The outer rocker and the top sill (the piece you step-over when you enter the car) may be the only items required from Wolf Steel.

Car Jacked Up
Jacked up to work on sills by IsaaksofSalem, on Flickr

Jacked up to work on sills by IsaaksofSalem, on Flickr

Sill work being done with the spot-weld cutter/drill bit. The thing is awesome tool!

1973 Alfa Romeo GTV - Sills and undercarriage before any restoration by IsaaksofSalem, on Flickr

1973 Alfa Romeo GTV - Sills and undercarriage before any restoration by IsaaksofSalem, on Flickr

Some good Photo's of the sub-frame/beefier undercarraige

No Idea how so much pain splatter got on the underside of the car? It must have been up on it's 'side' at one point and was in an area that was being used for a art studio or something??

Any idea's as to if the car has an undercoating applied or not? I don't see the typical black-caked on under coating found in most photo's on the site? Maybe it's already been stripped?

My thoughts are to just get it on it's side with a modified DIY rotisserie, get the entire car dustless-blasted (underside and all) then paint the entire car with POR15 on the underside. Etch-primer on the rest.

·
Premium Member
6,344 Posts
If you are determined to use Wolf you might consider buying just one and if you like the fit quality then dive in. Just about everyone I know of has decided to buy panels from other vendors after trying to work with wolf panels. Nice wheels!

·
Registered
392 Posts
If you are determined to use Wolf you might consider buying just one and if you like the fit quality then dive in. Just about everyone I know of has decided to buy panels from other vendors after trying to work with wolf panels. Nice wheels!
Agree. I bought most panels from Classic Alfa and Alfaholics. They fit great. Bought 2 rear panels made by Wolfe and spend many hours wishing I would have spent a little more as I was trying to fit them.

Many have restored cars much worse. Keep up the work.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
My thoughts are to just get it on it's side with a modified DIY rotisserie, get the entire car dustless-blasted (underside and all) then paint the entire car with POR15 on the underside. Etch-primer on the rest.[/QUOTE]

You have quite a project there. This will be a marathon for you to find all the pieces parts and do all the restoration work. That said, it is a very rewarding process to see it completed.

I would recommend you not use POR15 on a dusted-blasted surface that has no rust. Instead, I would suggest an epoxy primer on the clear metal. Southern Polyurethane inc (SPI) sells a great product. I applied POR to my car, engine bay and interior only to have it fail. I ended up restripping the engine bay and interior, removed all of the rust and then applied several coats of epoxy primer. Check out the SPI website.
74 Cabin rewrk 0075.jpg

POR applied per manufacturers procedures

74 Cabin rewrk 0058.jpg

Several weeks later after power washing the POR application.
74 Cabin rewrk 0068.jpg

POR fully removed for epoxy primer
74 Cabin rewrk 0083.jpg

Epoxy primer applied.
74 Cabin rewrk 0089.jpg

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WOW! Excellent advice on the POR15 vs Metal Etch primer. This is extremely helpful and I'll be using the metal etch for sure after getting this information and pictures. What a PITA!

More updates to come later after I upload some photo's.
And agree, Marathon is the right word.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
WOW! Excellent advice on the POR15 vs Metal Etch primer. This is extremely helpful and I'll be using the metal etch for sure after getting this information and pictures. What a PITA!

More updates to come later after I upload some photo's.
And agree, Marathon is the right word.
If you're planning on doing the metal work yourself, think of this process as a double marathon.....if you're contracting out the metal work....it's a marathon. As for rotisserie....definitely ideal to have. I didn't have room in my garage for this and so built a chassis tilter instead out of rectangular section steel that i salvaged from discarded exercise equipment. FWIW

Wish you well on the project.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Something like this then?

The metal work will be me as well, all about the journey, not the destination for me.
I am still cutting out rusted area's so that it's ready for the dustless blasting. No need to blast away surface problems only to find more problems within the sills etc.

I like the chassis rocker's, but my rear bumper mounts are toast, so I am still thinking through how I may do mine.
Is this what your's is like?

(Scroll to post 9)
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/the-inexpensive-rotisserie-thread/58984/page1/

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The passenger side outer rocker panel (outer sill sometimes called) has been mostly removed.
I have never taken panels off before by drilling out spot welds, so this took me about 4 hours total work, I think the rest of the outer rocker will come off with about 1 hour worth of work. Once you get past the shock of drilling steal out on your car, you get comfortable with it and it actually goes pretty smoothly.

The rocker being pulled away.

1973 Alfa Romeo GTV - rocker panel removal by IsaaksofSalem, on Flickr

Here is the view with most of the rocker panel off.

What it looks like (representative) underneath. Notice how the rocker was seem welded to the middle sill, I am not sure if this is the correct way to install, but it's certainly a PITA to remove if someone seam welds stuff!

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
...I like the chassis rocker's, but my rear bumper mounts are toast, so I am still thinking through how I may do mine.
Is this what your's is like?
Sort of....except mine mounts to the suspension mounting points at the front and the rear. This gave me total access to the front nose panel and radiator panel which I had to completely rebuild....also I'm not a fan of hanging off the rear bumper mounts...seems too flimsy to and I didn't want to risk bending the panels back there.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Some more clean-up on the sills after rocker panel removal

Wow..what a PITA all that little detailed clean-up can be.

Here is the progress, and I am stopping on the passenger side until the full dustless blast can get in there and I'll really be able to see what I have. Now onto the drivers side!

1973 Alfa Romeo GTV sill replacement passenger side fully cleaned off. by IsaaksofSalem, on Flickr

1973 Alfa Romeo GTV sill replacement passenger side fully cleaned off. by IsaaksofSalem, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
6,344 Posts
Looking forward to seeing how the dutless blasting works in the real world!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, so after finding some lights for the rear end, (yeah maybe I am not ready for lights, but they were a good deal (in my opinion anyway)) I continued with more metal work.
The great news, is that even though this is the first time I have taken metal away from metal (drilling spot welds and using a chisel to separate the metal.) I am now down to about 1.5 hours to remove a rocker sill compared to 5-7 hours for the first rocker panel / outer sill that I removed on the passenger side.

It's all relative progress right!
Almost off, just need a new bit for the spot welds up on the 'top' of the sill (the part you step over as you get into the car).

Enjoy the photo's (and you can always see the complete set of all photo's on flickr if you are are looking for visual guidance on your own restoration)

1973 Alfa Romeo GTV - Sill removal drivers side by IsaaksofSalem, on Flickr

1973 Alfa Romeo GTV - Sill removal drivers side by IsaaksofSalem, on Flickr

Shot of the interior (looks so black there could have been a fire or something!)

1973 Alfa Romeo GTV Dashboard and Interior as-purchased by IsaaksofSalem, on Flickr

Wiring as it stands today from a visual inspection stand point anyway.

1973 Alfa Romeo GTV Dashboard and Interior as-purchased by IsaaksofSalem, on Flickr

The lights I found (who can resist some shopping while you are 1/4 inch of rust is coating your skin?!)

1973 Alfa Romeo GTV Tail Lights to be adapted - sourced from 1965-69 GTV by IsaaksofSalem, on Flickr

1973 Alfa Romeo GTV Tail Lights to be adapted - sourced from 1965-69 GTV by IsaaksofSalem, on Flickr

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Holy shmoly! Keep going and don't look back now! The taillights you show are those used on a 69 US model GTV....RED/RED...the Euro models had YELLOW/RED....which depending on your objectives, may or may not be a consideration. Yours must be a Euro model I gather?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quick Reply

Holy shmoly! Keep going and don't look back now! The taillights you show are those used on a 69 US model GTV....RED/RED...the Euro models had YELLOW/RED....which depending on your objectives, may or may not be a consideration. Yours must be a Euro model I gather?
It is not a euro, however, I love the style of the smaller lights, so I saw these and couldn't stop myself (even though I have the USA style skin). Unsure if I will replace the skin, but we'll see, as the curve on the skin is pretty complex!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Drivers Side Sill Removal

More metal work...
Drivers Side sill removal. I reduced the time about to about 1/2 the time compared to the passenger side outer sill removal. Sadly, the driver side middle sill is not in the shape I thought it might be. There is one significant portion that will need to be patched, but I am not going to replace the entire sill, as it is really not in bad shape, just this one repair section will need to go in to ensure it is structural in good shape after the blasting.

Here we are with the photo's.
As always, there are more in the Flickr Album.

1973 Alfa Romeo GTV - sill replacement by IsaaksofSalem, on Flickr

Onto more stripping of the interior (headliner, ceiling 'grab handles', and other bits). I am unsure if the entire dash will come out or not, it's such a mess, I may not honestly 'loose' any time by just taking it out. We'll see.

I need to cut away some of all four floors, but probably waiting until I get my replacement panels or steel before I decide to start cutting out the old.

The big news is that the car will not be restored to alfa road concourse standards. It will be repaired, to make a fast-driver, almost all chrome (except mirrors) will be left off the car, and the GTAm Street Replica (read euro-rebuilt with more compression Twin-Spark engine) with probably Bosche injection (to start) will be fitted to keep character but add speed. That's where I am at anyway.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
The chrome is the best part of these older cars. The PO of my GTV painted a number of chrome parts black and I have slowly been replacing them with correct reproduction pieces.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts