Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This might be the ultimate sleeper. A gold Berlina with a hot 2L engine and lightened transmission!

This Berlina is a solid driver that has had a ton of work done to it over the years. I have owned a bunch of 115 Alfas over the years, and this is by far the fastest and most fun.

Here's a little history on the car....

It has the strong 2L engine with high compression pistons, a big valve head and hot cams from "Mortimer 2", along with a Wes Ingram pump and Merrit Carden lightened transmission. The Berlina is a proud member of SNO.

The body is very straight and has good paint. It was repainted at some point and has chipped in a few places, but overall is in great shape as the photos show. The interior is in good condition with very comfy Miata leather seats and new carpet, but the headliner has seen better days and could use replacing. Luckily the car comes with a NOS headliner.

The Berlina wasn't running when I picked it up last year, so I got it running, put in a new water pump and hoses and a addressed a few other maintenance items which I have listed below. The plan was to replace our white Berlina with this one, but I'm pretty attached to the white one, and this one is too nice for me to drive daily, so I'm letting it go.

The previous owners did a lot of work to it as well, and I have tried to capture as much of it as I can remember.

Here is more detail on the Berlina:

OVERALL CONDITION:

• Strong running engine, smooth shifting transmission
  • Repainted at some point in original Biege Chiaro Metallic. Paint is in good condition with a few chips and scratches, and just a few small rust areas (driver A pillar, driver side rear window, back of spare tire well)
  • Dash in very good condition, a few small cracks behind gauge cluster, door has not warped
  • Seats in good condition, one small tear in rear seat bottom, fronts in good condition
  • No major collision damage
  • Stainless steel bumpers in very good condition, just normal wear
  • All doors, windows work properly
  • Lights, wipers and fan all work
  • Includes a 1974 owners manual (which covers all three models)
  • Includes wiring diagram
  • Includes NOS headliner and rear window seal
  • Has the optional larger fuel tank
  • Gauges all work, including low fuel indicator
WORK I HAVE DONE:

• Valve clearances checked, cam timing checked, ignition timing checked, got engine running again
  • New water pump
  • New radiator and bypass hoses
  • New throttle cable
  • New hood release cable
  • New rear fuel filter
  • New driver’s door seal
  • New NGK spark plugs
  • Starter wiring modified to prevent starter run-on
WORK DONE BY PREVIOUS OWNERS
  • Engine from “Mortimer II”
  • Merrit Carden lightened gearbox
  • Wes Ingram rebuilt HP SPICA pump
  • Headers
  • Electric fan with adjustable thermostat
  • Marelli Plex ignition
  • Koni Red Shock absorbers
  • 14x6 Alfa Spider 5-star alloy wheels
  • 195/60R14 Pirelli P7 tires
  • Hella H4 / H1 lights
  • Battery relocated to trunk
  • Newer fuel pump
  • Replaced heater valve
  • New grey carpet
  • Miata tan leather seats (originals included)
  • Personal mahagony steering wheel from Spider, wood shift knob, new shift boot
  • VDO oil pressure gauge in place of clock (clock included)
  • Blaupunkt radio – not currently hooked up. Speakers in rear deck. Can throw in vintage 2-shaft Sony radio if wanted
  • Front seatbelts replaced
  • Newer clutch master and slave cylinders
EXTRA PARTS INCLUDED:
  • Black rear seat bottom in good shape
  • Both original front seats, need recovering. Pass only has a few seams come loose, driver needs front recovered
  • Original seat belts
  • Sump guard
  • Stock camshafts
  • Tan recovered door panels
  • More... need to revisit the stash in the garage!
The Berlina is located in Portland, OR and has a clean, clear title. Full disclosure, we are registered auto dealers, but this is my personal car with the title in my name. Currently registered in Oregon, smog exempt.

Over 50 photos here:

https://plus.google.com/photos/111032382197666459315/albums/6067303771923120769?authkey=CPnCndyLzcuB1gE

I'm happy to answer any questions you have, shoot me an email and we can set up a time to talk. Phone is easiest, trading emails or texts gets old fast. I'm happy to let anybody come inspect in here by appointment (just check out Jewel or Jalopy for tons of local Alfisti happy to help), or at a shop with contract.

Asking price is $9995.00 or best offer. I'm happy to meet a shipper if you want to ship it. Possibly interested in trades + cash, would prefer a straight sale.

Thanks!
Ian Lomax

·
Registered
14 Posts
Good luck in the sale

Ian,

Good luck in the sale of your '73 Berlina. My '73 is coming along slowly but surely.

Stan

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
All the best with the sale, I must admit if it were in Aus, I would be really keen to have a look.

I always wondered what happened to Mortimer 2, such a cool car that it was, including the story of its inception. :) In a way it was part of the reason I got my 2L Berlina onto the track for club days. Sadly now RIP.

Can well imagine the gold Berlina would indeed be something of a "sleeper" !!

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
This looks like the kind of driver-quality Alfa so many people want but never quite seem to find in the ads. Berlinas are great to drive and have their own charm relative to other Alfas. Also, I think this ad. ought to be a primer for how to market an Alfa on the BB. It has clear, detailed statements about the car's overall condition and history and is accompanied by plenty of photographs. If someone is looking for a good Berlina, this car looks to be worth a quick turn-around flight to check it out in person.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
2,155 Posts
I always wondered what happened to Mortimer 2, such a cool car that it was, including the story of its inception. :) In a way it was part of the reason I got my 2L Berlina onto the track for club days. Sadly now RIP.
I got involved in the Mortimer II story, and in the process got shafted mightily by someone with no scruples. I passed the car along, and still regret it.

Last I heard it was sitting on blocks somewhere in Oregon. Sad.

bs

·
Premium Member
21,127 Posts
Boy, the Mortimer story would be a good one for a future Berlina Register newsletter if one could write it without one's blood pressure going off the charts. I was in touch with various of the guys, including you Brian back at the time, but I don't think I kept much info on it, alas.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
21,127 Posts
I mean anyone involved, not just you. Ian might know some of it as well. Maybe all the other folks are gone, dead, in jail, etc.
Andrew

·
Registered
322 Posts
This is text book on how to sell a car. Well done with the honest photos and descriptions. I am just trying to get over the gold. Looks like an Italian Buick. Good luck with the sale, if only it were some other color I would be on the phone with you.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Not to divert too much away from the sale of this gold Berlina, which from my view I think is really well presented, very well described and very reasonably priced, I am disappointed to read of both the demise of Mortimer 2 and that things ended up not well with this.

Brian and Andrew, I remember very well finding the story of it on the net many years ago. Around the same time I read of the dark blue (Porsche colour) Giulia Super that was built up from a wreck. I can't recall the guys name. The Giulia was green originally but was hit in the rear by a VW Golf. Hence the rebuild into a race car, which as I recall was pretty effective on the track.

Again it was around the time I also found out about the Berlina register and signed up for that as well, given I had just bought a white 2L. All of these stories about such cool old Alfas rekindled my interest in Alfa and the rest is history for me.

It would be nice if someone could rescue Mortimer one day if that were possible.

All the best with the sale of the gold Berlina, I would think someone is going to get a really nice one.

·
Premium Member
2,155 Posts
We should move any Mortimer discussion to it's own thread, and not distract from this one too much.

I can tell you that the motor in Mortimer was very, very strong, and that's with the stock injection pump I installed on it (it was missing a pump when I got it). I can't remember what was done to the bottom end, but full Sperry stage 5 sounds about right for what was done on the top end.

If that motor is in this gold car, with an Ingram HP pump, then I think that could make for a real fun street or even track car.

bs

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
This is text book on how to sell a car. Well done with the honest photos and descriptions. I am just trying to get over the gold. Looks like an Italian Buick. Good luck with the sale, if only it were some other color I would be on the phone with you.

This thread is a good refutation to all the used-car selling whiners who get in a snit when people on the bb, most of whom know a lot about old Alfas, begin to ask questions about cars presented with underexposed cell-phone photos and vague mechanical and cosmetic descriptions. The bb is not to sell cars. It is, in fact, a perfect place to reach Alfa enthusiasts---provided the car is accompanied by information as complete and well presented as this car.

BTW: This is a factory color and more than a few Berlinas were painted this way back in the day. Personally, I like it. Once again, this is a good example of how good cars are sold within the family . . .

Hint: If you own a Super and want a summer Alfa sedan with air conditioning, this would be a good bet. Berlinas are much easier to fit air conditioning to than Supers. I am going to shut up, now. I. Am. Not. Going. To. Talk. Myself. Into. Buying. Another. Car.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Ian,
Nice Berlina. We need to see it at AROO events! Where did you find carpet for it? I've found no suppliers in the world that carry carpet kits for Berlinas.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everybody. Roger, hopefully it stays in Portland. If someone hurries up and makes a better offer!

I will check with Joe on the carpet kit, its pretty nice I admit.

If I was going to keep it I would dye the rear seat black and I would recover the front seats in black. It already has black door panels. Gold over black would be slick.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm brand new to the board (hello!). After watching Manuel's "Never Enough Alfa" on Petrolicious, and battling various Alfa's at the track for several years (including Fabrizio and Anthony from time to time), I've concluded that I need to own at least one in my lifetime. I prefer the Giulia Supers and Berlinas. The Giulia Supers are priced beyond my comfort level. The Berlinas are still accessible.

I failed to bid on the blue Berlina on Bringatrailer two weeks ago - possibly a mistake. So that brings me to this car. I like the idea of a built motor (within reason) and also that it's not a perfect car, which would allow me to put my own spin on a few things without guilt. That said, the looming fear of rust repair has my antenna nervously twitching and I've always been a believer in walking away from cars with any rust. That said, I'd like to get some thoughts from those that have dealt with rust similar to that pictured. Essentially, how bad/scary is it? (I don't do my own metal/body work).

Another question: since this appears to be a US 2L, it has an LSD as a standard feature, no?

Thanks in advance for the pending enlightenment. :)

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Welcome Avidtest!

Here's my take on Berlina rust. They typically rust around the front and rear windows, and in the usual spots like rockers, behind the rear wheels, spare tire well and in the door frames.

If you decide to replace the headliner with the included headliner you can grind out or cut out the rust at the back window and stop it before reinstalling the glass.

The rear fenders are solid on this car, there is one spot on the pass rocker that I would address to slow it down, and I would touch up the rear window at some point. But this car is way more solid than the one I'm keeping.

If this car had a full respray and rust addressed, it would be more expensive. It's 40 years old, lives in Oregon, and has very little rust. Keep it garaged and it will stay nice. Letting our other Berlina sit on the street hasn't been great for it, but it's still holding up.

I will let Andrew and others chime in, you might want to post the question in the sedan forum where more will see it.

Give me a call if you want to chat, I have a few not-so-serious offers, I'm waiting for someone to get serious.

·
Premium Member
21,127 Posts
Ian has had enough of these to know where to look re rust, I don't really have anything to add. Around front and rear windows, lower front fender bottoms, rockers, rear fenders above and behind the wheel opening, and the complex area where the rear fender joings the vertical rear door opening are where I look. For unknown reasons, Berlinas also seem to rust more in the door jambs than Supers or GTVs. I don't know why.

Any US 2000 came with an LSD axle. By now not many have much LS function left unless they've been rebuilt. Will work fine indefinitely but you need new clutch plates etc to get the LS action back. I would say 95% of 2000s on the road have essentially no LS function remaining.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
21,127 Posts
This is general talk, not anything specific to Ian's car since I haven't looked at the pictures closely enough to say. This applies to all Berlinas and Supers, just describing, not slagging.

To further, since Ian asked for info elsewhere, the window surround, especially the front, and especially on glued-winshield cars, seems to rust form the outside in. Water sits in the little shelf/trough that on gasket-glass cars is taken up by the gasket. An imperfect seal on a glued glass car allows water to puddle there, eat through, begin to spread. GTVs do the same. The low corner spots where gravity wants the water to sit is where it begins. The removable wiper cowl rusts through from the same cause, but it comes off and can be replaced or relatively easily fixed off the car. If rust has eaten through the body layer under the cowl, that's more work. Glass front or rear really has to come out to do a good job. Anecdotally, the glue used to attach the glass and trim supposedly holds water, which promotes rust all around the glass. Often above the windshield is eaten up too. Further, body flex in this area often cracks the paint, leading to rust under the paint, and the growing rust barnacle put pressure on the front glass, which is why so many US Berlina have broken windshields. Often it starts at the major rust spot.

Most of the rest of the rust areas work from the inside out; fender bottoms, rockers, door bottoms, trunk lid rear edge, etc. Water and dirt get in, have no way to get out, find their own way out right through the metal. Normally if you see bubbles in the paint, you can expect it's working from inside to out, and whatever is underneath will be worse than what you can see on the surface. My Super had one or two small bubbles in the rocker; after cutting out, there was a like 6" long hole in the inner rocker that took a lot more work. I think that's typical.

Again, other than Ian's comments, I don't know the state of his car (I saw it some months ago but it was crammed in a garage) and I'm not speaking to the condition of his car, just to where/how/why Berlinas and Giulia rust and how to assess and fix. Or to manage your own response and expectations. If I were looking for a Berlina, this one would be high on my list.

Andrew

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks very much for the replies Ian and Andrew. Replacing the headliner and a respray would certainly be in the cards for me. Without rust repairs, I figure a typical respray with minor body work (ding repair, gap adjustment, etc), is about $6K +/-. I'm so unfamiliar with the potential depth of rust repair required for this vehicle and the typical cost of said repair though. Anyone been there done that on one of these? I'll talk to some local car folks around here for some guidance in the meantime. Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts