Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm relocating from the UK to the US so need to part with my Spider.

The car is a 1972 (UK road-tax exempt) Alfa Spider Junior that has had the engine replaced with a 2000. (Brake calipers, etc have been updated to the 2000 model as well). This means the car has the dash / interior of the roundtails, with the Kamm tail body - a nice combination.

The car is metallic black - it has been restored / resprayed and has no rust. I recently had the seats recovered and new interior door panels put in - so the interior is in great condition as well. The PO had extensive work done to the car - a complete engine, gearbox and brake overhaul was done less than 5,000 km ago. Additional work undertaken includes new suspension bushes,
tracking rods, radiator, alternator, regulator, fuel pump, starter motor, propshaft, brake & clutch cylinders, battery, heater core and valve, etc. (receipts of over £5k are available for work stated).

In addition the car has a MP3 / CD player.

The car is a LHD - it started life in Italy and came over to the UK at some time in the 1990s. It has done 104,000 km. The car is located in London (and is always garaged). I am asking £5,500.

If you have any questions or would like more pictures, please call me or email.
Nick +44 (0)20-7838-6544 / +44 (0)771-423-8824

Attachments

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Nice Spider!!

I'm just wondering why don't you bring it to US with you? Really high transportation cost?

Since it's a LHD and 72 model, it shouldn't be that hard to get it registered in the States.

:)

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I agree, what a beautiful car. I don't know what it would cost to transport, I'd just bring it if I could!

·
Registered
136 Posts
That is one nice spider! The price is about $9,000.00 US?

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
interesting....the car has a 69 dash but is a kam-tail spider. kinda like my "step nose" 1970 gt junior having a 1750 gtv dash. gotta love the way alfa mix matched parts that they had left over. either way, i love that dash in your car!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I once quoted for somewhere around $500-$700 to bring a car from UK to the East Coast (port to port), and slightly more to the West Coast.
Consider it cost me a total of $800 to move the car from Salt Lake City to Los Angeles (a mere 700 miles?), it sounds pretty reasonable.

I think I got the quote from one the advertisers on the back of Thoroughbred & ClassicCars :)

Paradiso said:
I agree, what a beautiful car. I don't know what it would cost to transport, I'd just bring it if I could!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys for the comments. My fall-back option is to bring her over to the States. I'm moving to Boston, MA by the way.

I had sort of figured it was easier to sell her here, and then pick up a new one with the proceeds.

I've been quoted around £750 to move her plus insurance plus port fees on the other side plus $150 for a customs broker to handle the paperwork on the other side - so all told will cost about $1,330 to bring her over.

alfa_chan - you don't happen to remember who gave the quote do you?

italcarguy - yeah - I love the 69 dash with the Kamm body. The car was a Junior. Alfa kept the old style dash on the Junior for the first 18-24 months of Junior production, as well as the 69 style door handles. This was to create more of a 'gap' with the newer and more expensive 1750 and 2000 models. Ironically with the boattail being the most valuable Spiders - having the old-style dash and door handles is pretty cool.

Nick

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
i am with you on that one...i dig the "classic look". keep her and bring her over. you'd probably have the only spider junior in the states or at least one of very few. its hard to find a nice spider out here, i see more ratty ones than nice ones. also, going the east coast, you are gonna come a across a lot of rusty cars. if it costs up to $2000 to bring it (which it shouldn't), bring the car here. you know it has been maintained well and there are no future surprises.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Assuming there's no problem with the DOT or EPA, that's a no-brainer. SHIP IT!!! Don't give up such a unique and beautifully maintained Spider, expecially since it's LHD.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Yeah like Anthony said, bring that beauty stateside!

I work in the MIS dept. for a Japanese freight forwarder. I used to work in the ocean export dept. I'll ask for a quotation. Unfortunately, I don't think I can get any kind of discount though. Would it be shipping from London to Boston? Should I ask for a RO-RO (car carrying vessel) and a 20' container rate? A container rate will be more expensive, but it'll save you from any door dings.

I am actually assisting in shipping a '67 GTV and a Benz to Nagoya. I met the guy at the Alfa convention last June.

Attachments

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK you guys have convinced me - it's coming with me

Kai - I really would appreciate you get a quote.

The car is in London, but the closest ports here are Portsmouth or Southampton.

I'd be loooking for a RO/RO service (seems to be about half the cost) and I think the nearest port to Boston they ship into is Newark.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
990 Posts
Nick,

Great decision on keeping her. Just make sure
to get a crappy daily driver when you get to
Boston, cause the winters there will kill the Alfa.

I have been looking at the New England Alfa club,
and they seem to be a very lively group.
Check them out at:http://www.velocissima.com/
Im sure they would love to check out your car!!
Good luck with the move.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Opps, got beat by an actual member(Paradiso):D

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Hi Nick!

It looks like you have moved to Boston already! How's everything??

Did you move with the Spider? Or you got another Red Duetto??

:D

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Nice car! Glad you're bringing it with you!

I have a '69 Junior as my daily driver...I love it!:D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts