Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fan shroud on my 72 has cracked.
I noticed that Mr Fiat has two shroud options: a regular size and a new "deep dish" (but no cheese) version. (see pix attached)

Anyone have any inputs regarding the new and improved shroud version?
Anyone have other suggestions -- as long as I am replacing the present broken shroud? (e.g., changing fan blade type/size, or other shroud options, etc.)

Thanks.

Std fan.jpg
Deep shroud.jpg

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
If you do not have an over heating problem stay with OME version. Easier to deal with when you have to wrench on the front end of the engine.

Ken Smith

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,822 Posts
I second the OEM comment. As long as your cooling system is working the OEM shroud will work.

Switching to an electric fan will get you 5 HP at 5000 RPM. If your fan is old and brittle it might also be worth replacing.

And check your motor mounts so the engine doesn't sag and destroy the fan.

Reactions: alfaromeoblack

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,822 Posts
Is the shroud necessary? I notice my car has not got one fitted
90% of the time it's not needed. But in hot temperatures while sitting in traffic you can overheat without it as the fan isn't pulling enough air through the radiator without it.

It also keeps you from accidentally touching it while running.

Reactions: Fayray

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
I never knew those "deep dish" shrouds were available - much less, tried installing one. But I'd worry that it would interfere with something. Perhaps they were designed for later model Alfas, and won't really fit the earlier cars. I'm skeptical that someone would take the trouble to engineer and manufacture a "deep dish" shroud just as a performance part.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll email them and ask how/why it was developed, and if there are documented cooling improvements, AND if it fits any other Alfas.

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
I'll email them and ask how/why it was developed, and if there are documented cooling improvements, AND if it fits any other Alfas.
OK, if you want to go through the exercise. Please report back what you find out.

I can't really see why a bigger fan shroud would be a better fan shroud. I certainly understand that the fan-radiator system will be more efficient when you force all the fan's airflow to come through the radiator by ducting the radiator's four "corners", rather than just leaving them open. So I can certainly see how the stock shroud improves cooling. But why would a longer shroud make any difference?

·
Registered
950 Posts
Auto manufactures spend a lot of time and money making sure the car they want to put on the market has as few problems as possible. (warrentee issues can really eat you up. as well give you a bad new in the market place.

A long time ago when I bought my new Milano there were a lot of issues, after a while I was on a first name bases with the Alfa District Manager. I even remember a conversation (some what heated) I had with him about the ongoing problems. I told him "this is not my car, this is your car until the mileage reads 36K".)

So they run them on the road in all the conditions that a typical buyer would run across. To deal with cooling issues (hot and cold) they added a carefully chosen thermostat. Some of them even run the car in a indoor freezer. (in neutral only;))
So the fact that one car runs fine without or only with a fan shroud is not the issue.
Cars run in cold areas of the world will probably run fine without the shroud, and the opposite is also true.

On my first Alfa, the one in my signature below, had a thermostat that was tubular,
it was located in the upper radiator hose not the "drop in" design we see today. Back then there was no easy way to get it replaced. So I took a piece of cardboard and blocked partly or more of the radiator depending how cold it was that day. Ofcourse I was younger then and not as smart as I am today..:geek:

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
.... I took a piece of cardboard and blocked partly or more of the radiator depending how cold it was that day. Ofcourse I was younger then and not as smart as I am today..:geek:
Hah! Back then (1982), I had a 1962 Aston DB4 that had a rollup vinyl sheet in front of the radiator (equipped from the factory, I presumed), that you would pull down to varying degrees to block airflow to the radiator, depending on the weather!

Ah, if only I had kept that car.......

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Here is the second issue with a deeper fan shroud. I have had my radiator out of my car a couple of the times in the last 6 years and there is not very much room between the radiator and the fan. I have not had to remove the fan for the install of the shroud. With the deeper one you would have to remove the fan, install the shroud and reinstall the fan. I believe it would be a PITA.

Ken Smith

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
there is not very much room between the radiator and the fan...... With the deeper one you would have to remove the fan, install the shroud and reinstall the fan.
With any Alfa fan shroud, the procedure is typically to remove the radiator, temporarily put the shroud around the fan back against the front cover, reinstall the radiator and then move the shroud forward and bolt it to the radiator.

But yea, with a thicker shroud, it will just take up more volume in what's already a tight space.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
If my memory is correct, the early cars with no AC, no air pump, and single groove crank pulley, had the plastic fan attached directly to the coolant pump. The later cars added belts and grooves to the crank pulley and had silver colored spacer between the fan and the coolant pump. So, if you had no fan spacer you needed a deeper shroud. If you had a fan spacer, your fan was positioned further forward, and you needed a thinner shroud.

Reactions: 1986velocealfa

·
Registered
211 Posts
AndyLarry is correct, the deep shroud is for cars with the single grove pulley and no aluminum spacer on the water pump.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
I believe that all of thecars had that spacer as with out it the original fan may flex and hit the pulleys.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts