Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1972 Alfa Romeo Spider
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the two rocker switches on the center console and don't have my wiring diagram with me. One rocker switch is labeled for wipers. Am I correct in that the other is for the fan speed? I would rather not order the wrong one.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have a 72 Spider also. Yes, wiper and fan (see attached pic).
BTW, how do you pull the switches out? I see they are kept in place by spring steel clips on the side, and they can only come forward out of the console, but do you need to depress the clips, or do you just force/pop them out?
Thanks.

20210124_142424.jpg

·
Registered
1972 Alfa Romeo Spider
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pressed the clips in from the back with a small screwdriver, one at a time, and then pushed it through to the outside.

Thanks for answering my question. It was pretty basic but saved me from having to wait a week to go where the car is and the the wiring diagram.

If you are restoring your center console as I am I will I'll pass on one of my blunders. See those two yellow rectangle lights in your picture? Mine were so brittle that when I was a little too rough removing the tiny light bulb it just shattered in my hand. So great . . . another few hours on the internet looking for a little piece of plastic that probably costs $40. Oh the little joys . . .
Rob

·
Registered
318 Posts
I pressed the clips in from the back with a small screwdriver, one at a time, and then pushed it through to the outside.

Thanks for answering my question. It was pretty basic but saved me from having to wait a week to go where the car is and the the wiring diagram.

If you are restoring your center console as I am I will I'll pass on one of my blunders. See those two yellow rectangle lights in your picture? Mine were so brittle that when I was a little too rough removing the tiny light bulb it just shattered in my hand. So great . . . another few hours on the internet looking for a little piece of plastic that probably costs $40. Oh the little joys . . .
Rob
Thanks for the tip/s.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
While we are here, can somebody tell me what this rotating knob does?
Dimmer for (yellow marker) lights next to switches,heater control levers and I think ash tray too.

"I'm from Jersey"

·
Registered
28 Posts
My center console was getting brittle around the padded top and side next to where my knee contacts it. Rather than trying to attempt to restore the console, I ordered the metal reproduction from Classic Alfa. It looks better than my old one, but it's hard metal and will not be as easy on my knee

The main issue now is the metal reproduction unit has no rectangular cut outs for the 4x North American idiot lights across the top right. It also doesn't have the round hole for the emergency flasher switch.

Under the gear shift there are 3x rocker cut outs instead of the original 2. I don't see the point of keeping the rotary dimmer as the dash lights are too dim anyway. Do you see any issue just removing the dimmer switch?

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Suggest you disconnect battery before attempting to remove the console switches, as the panel itself is vinyl covered steel - you would not want to contact the edge of the cutout with a (potentially) live terminal on the back of the switch !
They do pop out relatively easily, use a screwdriver on the spring tabs top and bottom edge of the switch. Take a pic of the wires before you yank them off - you can compare these with the schematic, and ensure they go back on correctly.

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
Good suggestion Chris.
Greg

·
Registered
1972 Alfa Romeo Spider
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Above, Alfafannj has posted a photo which shows the rocker switches as well as the two yellow indicator lights for DEF and WIPER. Does anyone know where I can get the DEF lens? Mine was very brittle and shattered as I was removing it to restore the dash.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts