Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 1972 GTV with rusted sill & a big hole in the driver's side floor. Been sitting too long so I'm thinking about getting it running again.

How much would it cost to have a shop fix the rusted sill & floorpan ? I'm in SF bay area. TIA.

·
Out of the office!
11,253 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like healthcare where you never find out what the actual total bill is. Probably faster for me to go to Chabot & learn to weld & do it myself.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
Sounds like healthcare where you never find out what the actual total bill is. Probably faster for me to go to Chabot & learn to weld & do it myself.
have you spent any time here in say the restoration forum to see what others have found and delt with. Not a job for the faint hearted. And be aware that many a job was way beyond the budget and skills and patience of an unknowing shop. do some surfing here. Its amazing what some members have got up to.

FWIW

Ken

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm a degree'd engineer & I worked in R&D for my career so I'm familiar with complex unknown projects & planning out all the needed steps. I know it's a lot of work & I'd rather pay but this common attitude of "Blank check only" is really annoying. It's not like body rust repairs have never been done on Italian cars & nobody has any idea of what the likely scope will be. Even the Pentagon gets a firm quote.

·
Out of the office!
11,253 Posts
One cannot know what needs to be repaired without seeing it. There is always something lurking under those rocker panels and wheel arches.

Are you wanting the whole car painted? If so, do you want it stripped to bare metal? Do you just want the repaired areas blended with the rest of the paint on the car?

Do you want fabricated patch panels or do you want to by reproduction panels?

There are a number of things to be considered. Also, you said the car has been sitting for a while How long? Is it carburated or is it fuel injected?

·
Super Moderator
9,964 Posts
I'm a degree'd engineer & I worked in R&D for my career so I'm familiar with complex unknown projects & planning out all the needed steps. I know it's a lot of work & I'd rather pay but this common attitude of "Blank check only" is really annoying.
I'm not sure if you are criticizing the Alfa BB contributors for not knowing what it will cost to fix your car, or the shops you have brought it to for quotes.

If it's us, gee whiz, we haven't even seen pictures of your car, let alone examined it in person. Plus, you didn't bother answering very basic questions that ossodiseppia asked in posts #2 and 7.

If you're annoyed at the shops, keep in mind that they can't accurately determine the extent of the damage - and as such, the amount of the work required - until they get the interior out and the paint stripped off.

Even the Pentagon gets a firm quote.
Maybe. But the Pentagon isn't dealing with vendors who bill at $120/hour.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All I want is the sill & floorpan replaced. That's it. I know there are lots of other things that need work. I'm not set up to do structural rust repair. Rust repair requires an alignment jig & welding. I don't have either. Mechanical stuff & paint I can handle.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
All I want is the sill & floorpan replaced. That's it. I know there are lots of other things that need work. I'm not set up to do structural rust repair. Rust repair requires an alignment jig & welding. I don't have either. Mechanical stuff & paint I can handle.
Often the sill which is 3 pieces, and floorpan replacement require attention paid to every thing else they touch. No way to know until one starts. Maybe you can do some exposing and cutting away to let a shop see what is there to deal with.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I did the floor plans of my Giulia myself, I'd roughly say about 40 hours per side is what it took me to drill out the spot welds and weld in the new pans. I also replaced the outer rocker - I'd estimate another 20-30 hours. With bay area rates about $100-$150 it's expensive to have quality metal work done.

As others have said, once you cut open the rockers, you are likely to find that the inner rocker is gone too and you also have to cut the front fender to replace the outer sill, so there's work to put that back together too.

I'd budget $5-8K and go from there if you can find a shop that can do it

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
I Totally agree with you. There's nothing cooler that to be able to restore your own car.
The reason for my post was a reaction to the -IMO- way too high amount of 40 hours and therefore money that was quoted for replacing one side of the floor.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts