Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Out of the office!
11,154 Posts
This "for sale" thread should be removed by the moderators.
Not doing so is irresponsible. People just have no common sense.
We don't remove posts or ads like this one unless there is a rules violation. So far, there have been no rules violations, only comments from other members.

We are actually more responsible than you think. We take our roles seriously and comments such as this are not constructive.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Alfabb should look at Ferrarichat updated rules to see how they handled classifieds. It helped to stop the issues here.
Are you referring to this Ferraichat?

The forum owners reversed the "no-comment" policy after about four months: See revised the policy. So as of May 2019 comments are back, but they never really left, it was by gentleman's agreement that we were to refrain from commenting.

Suggestions about how to configure the Alfabb should be taken to the appropriate forum.

With that said, no-comments-classifieds has been discussed repeatedly on this forum, BAT or eBay, that is the question. If it is decided to go with no-comments-classified ads then Alfabb should charge for placement of the ads. At least $100.

I'm for allowing comments in for-sale post, to remove them would kill the hobbyist side of the site and shift the burden to the moderators and administrators to both render an opinion and take action in a timely fashion against scammer post and those that describe their cars in a less than truthful way. It shifts the liability from the community to the moderators.

How about no classified ads at all? (we had to go this route early in 2004 on a jaguar forum after a member sued us because they bought a car whose condition they thought was misrepresented in the listing.)

BTW, commenters on this auction voiced their concerns about the lack of break-in miles, etc. Good that the buyer had the knowledge and money to fix the problems.

Attachments

·
Registered
331 Posts
Information about the car and speculating on it's value are two entirely different things. This gentleman is trying to sell his car for a price (after what sounds like a horrible experience and $$$$$) and as an onlooker, there should be some common courtesies. In fact, life altogether would be better if there were more consideration for others especially since we all (here) have so much in common.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Yes, it is quite common on a lot of sites to downgrade a car with the hope of dissuading interested buyers and buying it for less themselves. Or for some, just showing off their sometimes obvious lack of knowledge. At least BAT changed their rules on comments to reduce this!

Now Ferrarichat is mostly about complaints on the high cost and low quality of old Ferraris!

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I agree with Zinhead specifically : keep exposing it to the public... Your best bet for offers is a newbie that falls in love and has to have it.
A jaded alfa guy like me that understands the value of the work might bite closer to what you are looking for , but it would have to be exactly the right time and place. . . I suggest you just wait it out if you can.

I recently bought a GTV from a guy that spent $55k "restoring it." the body was accident free and as dry and low rust as I've ever seen. Unfortunately the "fresh engine" build had some botched setup, the A Arms were on backwards, half of the electrics didn't work, and probably my biggest peeve: the "resto" shop sandblasted all of the fasteners without any following treatment. . . There was more rust on the suspension bolt heads and nuts that on the all of the body sheetmetal.
Some people relish laying out the problems while angling for a good deal, but I found it very uncomfortable in this case. . . probably ended up giving the guy a few more $k more than should of. All I could think about at the time was the bodywork grief my first gtv gave me and how I never wanted to do that again. If I had lost my GTVs in a forest fire or flood and came across yours, I would probably shell out $60k...either case : right time, right place = people will pay

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks all for the info and conversation. I do sincerely appreciate the sentiments and advice. But yes, commentary on my asking price in a public space seems unnecessary...tone deaf at best, knowingly undermining at worst.

I love the BB and wouldn’t presume to say how things should be done. I do, however, think moderators might want to think through unsolicited commentary on pricing.

Nunki , your thinly veiled comments in my direction aren’t missed. I don’t know what set you off, but I wish you the best.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Information about the car and speculating on it's value are two entirely different things. This gentleman is trying to sell his car for a price (after what sounds like a horrible experience and $$$$$) and as an onlooker, there should be some common courtesies. In fact, life altogether would be better if there were more consideration for others especially since we all (here) have so much in common.
Subsequent posts by the owner make it clear that when he wrote in his first post "open to offers" doesn't mean what I have always thought it to mean.

Clearly stating that the price is "firm" goes a long way on this forum in limiting comments about how appropriate the list price is. Then the owner only gets "California complements" and everyone is happy.

Also, telling others the mistakes you've made in restoring a car then trying to sell it is, from my perspective, being considerate. I was thoroughly and early on taught the lesson that it was foolish to think that if I paid X to restore a car then surely someone would buy the car for at least X.

I've seen no posts in this thread or even on BAT that even comes close to criticizing the workmanship or work done on this GTV That is, I don't see anyone denigrating what the owner did simply to get a better deal.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Nunki , your thinly veiled comments in my direction aren’t missed. I don’t know what set you off, but I wish you the best.
Dear car owner: my comments are not veiled, thinly or otherwise.

You made a statement about the market price of highly modified GTV and my research uncovered an after-auction post by the winner of a BAT auction that at $66K happened to be the highest price paid for a highly modified, non-race prepped GTV on BAT. It is out there for the world to see. As is BAT's chart on GTV auction prices.

Sorry for bringing it to your attention.

Good luck with your sale.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Dear car owner: my comments are not veiled, thinly or otherwise.

You made a statement about the market price of highly modified GTV and my research uncovered an after-auction post by the winner of a BAT auction that at $66K happened to be the highest price paid for a highly modified, non-race prepped GTV. It is out there for the world to see. As is BAT's chart on GTV auction prices.

Sorry for bringing it to your attention.

Good luck with your sale.
No dog in this fight but these highly modified road cars sell for north of $200k so not sure id take comments on BAT as gospel.

https://www.alfaholics.com/our-cars/completed-builds/gta-r-020/completed/

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am open to offers! 😁 You didn’t make an offer, you made an unsolicited appraisal for the world to see.
Just leave him be. No-one with any sense is paying attention to it. It's a great car and i am sure you will find the right buyer at the right price!

Well done by the way on a quality restoration and for sticking with it!

·
Out of the office!
11,154 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Its getting late, but the OP could still list it at one of the many auctions occurring in Monterrey next month. Better yet, put some miles on the car, go to various shows (especially Concourso Italiano) or road rallies, make sure to post the results on social media and then list it at one of the Monterrey auction sites in 2020. After a year, you might decide to keep it.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
@cavilry You certainly have been one of the most forthright sellers I have read about. The car is well documented and no mystery. That said, you have the audience of a resto mod...Done!!! Or a classic guy such as myself , thinking... hey for not much money I can do X. I do agree with some of the posters ....the car has to be seen.. good luck!!! (Check my thread out on my spider resto, I am hoping to finish before I die) .

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
As a follow-up Ralph Gilles is the head of design for FCA and he and his wife are true Car guys. They not only attended this year’s Cortile at the Pittsburgh Vintage GP but they brought their Resto-Mod Alfa GTV. He is working on a restomod Viper project....

Attachments

·
Registered
518 Posts
Agree BAT wasnt kind to you , but dont give up. Not sure who the 40k bidder was, but it kinda killed the mood for a long time. Couple tips, if I may. Redo the photos, make videos of walk around, cold start & driving, spirited in this case. More than one if you can ( i know they are a pain to upload If you have invoices from Terry, add them. His work is of real value to those who know him, add a link to his site for those that dont. To me, its what makes the car stand out over all else, besides being a beautiful color. Good luck with it n happy selling.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I too have had medium luck on BAT, bought a great Alfa Race car, but did badly when selling a Mini race car - it's a bit of a crap shoot for some models.

Apart from what Peter says i do have a very trusted friend in Pleasanton Ca. who owns "Classic Cars Ltd" - his name is Paul and i have done a few transactions with him over the years and he is a real car guy - check his web site out and give him a call he will give you an honest opinion and a path to go down to get a good result (no affiliation, just like and know the guy !!)

Awesome car, good luck.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
Thank you all so very much for the insight and feedback! I will reach out to Paul and see what he says. I'll also get going on some better photos (thanks BaT "Premium" services).

Apologies if I came across rude in earlier posts...I may be a bit touchy on the subject :grin2: I wrestled with selling my car for months, then tiptoed around BaT before finally nervously diving in head first. I was pretty darn disappointed and stressed with the results, and the idea of forcing myself to pursue other avenues to sell the car was daunting. Luckily my wife has been supportive and understanding throughout the process and has never once asked me to sell the car...I just know that it's the right decision for the family.

Thanks again, all!

21 - 40 of 54 Posts