Alfa Romeo Forums banner

61 - 80 of 313 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
You are making great progress - putting my project to shame. Im at snails pace compared to you!

Im also not dashing home at lunchtime to work :)
My ratchets work very well when turning counterclockwise...

Things are about to slow down considerably once I start on the body.

When you have a 30 month old daughter at home, you have to find bits and pieces of time to work on the car. Early mornings, lunch, her naptime, etc.

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
There's a couple of good threads here:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gearbox-transaxle-differential-propshaft/198907-alfa-differential-gear-ratios.html

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gearbox-transaxle-differential-propshaft/41763-105-series-differences-interchangeability.html

I think the fitments could vary a bit. For example, my car (a series II 1750) has an open rather than LSD diff but the rear axle seems to be from a 2000 GTV because it has normal thread wheel nuts that are larger than the wheel nuts on the front axle which have reversed thread on the passenger side. No idea if that's original, but maybe at the factory they just fitted whatever was available and as the 2000 GTV was coming in in 1971, perhaps my car was a hybrid.

I wouldn't worry too much about originality, I would fit whatever makes sense for your planned usage (if the diff needs rebuilding).

Thanks, Nigel. Since parts aren't very difficult to come by here, I should be able to find an LSD diff with a lower (numerically) gear ratio. Before I do that, I need to verify what I have just in case I have that already. Never know what you'll find in these 45-50 year old cars.

Ciao,

Scott

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Front suspension is completely out. I think I've run out of things to remove except for the doors.

From here, I'll do a good cleanup and then work on the undercoating. Once the undercoating is removed and the tar off the floors I'll work on stripping the exterior down to bare metal.

Still need to source some used parts (LSD, 512 2 liter engine, etc), but no big rush yet.

Have been giving some thought to a restoration instead of a hot rod with a cage and 2L engine. Don't need to make my mind up yet.

Will post more pics soon.

Thanks,

Scott

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
I vote Hot Rod !

See what happens when a young Italian drives a car that was made 25 years before he was born…

It’s an illegal GT Junior 1300 with a 2 liter engine, 5.12 differential and 0.85 5th ratio gearbox.

>:)

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Still need to source some used parts (LSD, 512 2 liter engine, etc), but no big rush yet.
Free advice is worth what it costs . . . So, here's some free advice. Trying to run a fast 2 liter with a 5:12 rear end ratio (I presume that's what "512" means) will quickly turn an enjoyable car into one you don't want to drive very much. The problem is the tight 5.12 ratio renders a stock 1st gear pretty much unusable. Stock 1st w/ a 4.56 is merely adequate. IMHO, a 4.30 rear end ratio (fitted to European Berlinas) or a more common 4.10 ratio gives you a 5 speed 'box that's actually usable. If you want to drive a GTV with such a tight ratio you really should give some thought to putting in a close-ratio 'box with a longer first gear. I have one in my Super along with a much modified 2 liter. The original 4.77 rear-end actually works quite well with this gearbox, despite the presence of a much more powerful engine. If you intend to keep your stock gearbox, use a 4.56 or 4.10 rear end. Just sayin' . . .

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Free advice is worth what it costs . . . So, here's some free advice. Trying to run a fast 2 liter with a 5:12 rear end ratio (I presume that's what "512" means) will quickly turn an enjoyable car into one you don't want to drive very much. The problem is the tight 5.12 ratio renders a stock 1st gear pretty much unusable. Stock 1st w/ a 4.56 is merely adequate. IMHO, a 4.30 rear end ratio (fitted to European Berlinas) or a more common 4.10 ratio gives you a 5 speed 'box that's actually usable. If you want to drive a GTV with such a tight ratio you really should give some thought to putting in a close-ratio 'box with a longer first gear. I have one in my Super along with a much modified 2 liter. The original 4.77 rear-end actually works quite well with this gearbox, despite the presence of a much more powerful engine. If you intend to keep your stock gearbox, use a 4.56 or 4.10 rear end. Just sayin' . . .
Jim -

I'm planning to source a 4.10 LSD rear end.

512 is the stamped part number on the 2 liter engine that I need. It's the early 1970's GTV/Spider engine. Second choice is the 623 (I think that't the #), which is the Alfetta 2 liter of the same vintage, which will need the crank drilled for the pilot bushing.

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Doors are off. Was able to do this myself since they're pretty light. Doors themselves are in very nice condition; no rust or repairs evident.

All the suspension is off but the majority of it needs to be cleaned and inspected.

Took off the panels at the rear of the front wheel wells; are these reproduced? One is in need of repair. Can't believe how much dirt was behind them. Found an old rusty wrench back there, too. Given the amount of crud back there, surprised that this area did not rot significantly. Having said that, there is some rust on the driver's side at the front of the rocker that will need some attention.

Trunk lid is off. It's pretty rough. Does anyone make a reproduction in steel?

Spare tire well has some rot that will need to be fixed.

Area under the windshield wiper transmission will need some work. Not going to be easy forming new metal to replace what's rotted.

Tried to do a bit of paint removal by scraping with a razor blade. It was easy enough to get the paint off but not the tan primer. Under the primer is a coat of bondo - pretty thick in places.

Interior is all out, of course. Front floor pans will need some patching.

Engine compartment needs a good cleaning.

·
Registered
138 Posts
So how do you feel about the amount of work required on the body? About what you expected, better, worse? It looks scary to me but you seem to know what you are doing!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
So how do you feel about the amount of work required on the body? About what you expected, better, worse? It looks scary to me but you seem to know what you are doing!
I'm ok with it. I did a thorough investigation on the car and saw the rust in the front floors, decklid, rear window area, front wheelwell, etc. The only surprise that I can think of at this point is the extent of the rust under the wiper transmission.

I'm going to weld in all new metal, and some of it will be a bit tricky, but I'm not in a huge rush.

Thanks

Scott

·
Registered
450 Posts
looks like its in pretty good shape - apart from front scuttle/wiper panel :-0

Bizarrely my old rustbucket was pretty good in that area - just a couple of patches needed, and repairs to where cover panels scratches the metal under the windshield rubbers (terrible design).

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
I did a thorough investigation on the car and saw the rust in the front floors, decklid, rear window area, front wheelwell, etc.
Rust around windows is a fairly common problem. Years ago I had a good friend/mentor who was a wonderful metal fabricator. I once watched him repair a rust area like this on a GTV in brass. It was the first and only time I ever saw a body man use brass as a filler. Tony said it was a little harder (i.e., a lot harder---I watched him do it) to use than lead but didn't leach acid over time. Just sayin' . . .

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Rust around windows is a fairly common problem. Years ago I had a good friend/mentor who was a wonderful metal fabricator. I once watched him repair a rust area like this on a GTV in brass. It was the first and only time I ever saw a body man use brass as a filler. Tony said it was a little harder (i.e., a lot harder---I watched him do it) to use than lead but didn't leach acid over time. Just sayin' . . .
Plan to weld in new sheetmetal and patch panels and a bit of filler (bondo) over it. Hopefully less than 1/16".

Scott

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
looks like its in pretty good shape - apart from front scuttle/wiper panel :-0

Bizarrely my old rustbucket was pretty good in that area - just a couple of patches needed, and repairs to where cover panels scratches the metal under the windshield rubbers (terrible design).
Thanks. I've seen much worse on this site; I'd rather not tackle anything more challenging that what I have with this car.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Here's what I found behind the splash panels (back of front wheel wells) when I took them off.

Figured out a relatively easy way to strip the paint/primer/bondo -- Harbor Freight heat gun and razor blade scraper FTW!

Took about 10 minutes to do this. Just heat up a small area with the heat gun and heat/scrape as you go. I tried using just the razor blade but only got the top layer of paint off. With the heat, it's easy to get down to the bare metal, and it comes off in long strips.

I'll also use heat for the tar on the floorboards and undercoating, too. Just with a scraper, not with a razor blade.

thanks

Scott

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Got the tar scraped off the floorboards. Several hours worth of work with the heat gun and a scraper. Using dry ice to freeze it would have been easier, but by the time I figured out how to say "dry ice" in Italian and figure out where to buy it locally, I would have been done.

About halfway done in this picture. I need to get after the caulking/seam sealer with a wire brush on an angle grinder. I also need to finish getting the tar residue off the floors - I'll use diesel or some sort of solvent to get down to bare metal.

Floors look pretty good under the tar, but I did uncover a few areas that may need some attention. Wouldn't have found these if I hadn't removed the tar.

Just for sh*ts and giggles, I weighed most of the tar that I removed. Came to 20 lbs. Not earth shattering, but a step in the right direction.

Need to get the undercoating scraped off the bottom, too. Plan at this point is to patch the floors instead of replace them entirely but will make final decision after I get it all undercoating off.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #76 (Edited)
More progress. Got about 1/3 of the car stripped down to the metal.

This is the worst spot on the passenger side rocker! Hooray! Also got the paint off the driver's side rocker this morning - almost identical. There may be some rot starting from the inside out, but it's good to see that the outers are quite solid.

Not such good news on the passenger quarter. Has some accident damage to deal with. Bondo was 1/4 and thicker in places. Will need some hammer and dolly work.

Looks like someone used some copper here? I'm familiar with lead repairs, but not copper.

I'll end up using all sorts of paint removal methods by the time I'm done -- paint stripper spray/liquid (found some at the local box store; works ok), sandpaper on DA grinder, media blasting, etc. However, I'll strip the majority of the paint with heat gun and razor blade. Very easy to clean up.

Thanks

Scott

·
Registered
11,661 Posts
That is not copper, but bronze. A replacement guard has been bronze welded on, likely because it requires less heat and therefore less distortion.

You have a good shell there though. Lucky you :)
Pete

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ciao Scott,
Very nice topic and very impressive progress!

I am going to start my project in spring and looking your one I become little less scared :)

Armen

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
That is not copper, but bronze. A replacement guard has been bronze welded on, likely because it requires less heat and therefore less distortion.

You have a good shell there though. Lucky you :)
Pete
Pete -

Got it. I can see seams where it was welded to the rear panel, too. Curious to see if I can figure out why a new guard was installed; car does not appear to have been in a major collision.

Yes, I am happy with the shell. I have only had a few small surprises since I have been stripping the paint, and some areas (rockers) are better than I expected.

Scott

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Ciao Scott,
Very nice topic and very impressive progress!

I am going to start my project in spring and looking your one I become little less scared :)

Armen
Armen -

Thank you for the kind words.

What are you working on? Maybe you should start a thread on your car to properly introduce it to us? We would love to hear about it, and, of course, see some pictures!

Also, I see that you are in Rome. Do you have a good source for used Alfa Romeo parts? I am searching for a 2 liter Nord engine (same vintage as my car) as well as a few body pieces.

Ciao,

Scott

61 - 80 of 313 Posts