Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here’s the background on the 1972 Berlina:

I’ve only owned this Berlina for a few months. The previous owner was Bob Lehman (a No.Cal Alfa owner), who purchased the car in 1984 (per the pink slip). Unfortunately, Bob passed away last December, so this car was part of Bob’s estate sale. When I heard about the Berlina, it was not running, but appeared to have a rebuilt, 2 liter turbo motor with a Jafco system installed. Since I co-founded Jafco turbo systems, I was contacted to see if I had any interest in the car. I confirmed that the engine had been rebuilt with low compression forged pistons, but never run, so I purchased the car primarily to obtain a spare turbo motor for my 1972 turbo Berlina. I also knew that there was a niche market among Alfa owners for a solid, minimal rust, California Berlina. Lastly, my decision to purchase this Berlina really fell into place because I had a known, solid, stock 2 liter from my 72 GTV available to drop in. So I purchased the Berlina in June.

Below is a listing of the upgrades that had been made by Bob or the previous owner(s):

• Sport springs all around (I’m not sure which aftermarket springs these are). The springs lower the car and firm up the ride without being harsh for street use.
• Orange (red?) Konis all around
• Larger diameter Shankle sway bars front and rear
• Period correct Cromodora 5 spoke Daytona wheels (powder coated) with 195x60x14 Yoko tires
• 5:12 LS differential (Some potential buyers may not consider this an upgrade if they plan to drive mostly on the freeway/highway. I do have a 4:10 rear end that I could swap if requested)
• Shankle Sure Start (uses a very effective, pull throttle mounted under the steering column… works very well. I plan to duplicate this set up on my turbo Berlina).
• Monster sterro system with trunk mounted amps and a pull out radio receiver under the dash. I haven’t even tried to fire it up, but it looks complete.
• H4 Headlights (outers)
• Trunk mounted Battery (due to turbo installation)

Next are the modifications/maintenances that I performed over the last two months:

• Installation of a stock Spica 2 liter. Engine has just over 100,000 miles. I’ve owned/maintained this engine since 1980. I performed a valve job at 75,000 miles. Great oil pressure (oil changed regularly every 3000 miles), very smooth running motor, excellent Spica system (no roughness at any speed). The only negative, like many Alfas, it drips oil. And has for as long as I can remember. Given how well it runs, however, I decided to feed its habit and not worry. So the engine is not freshly rebuilt, but it sure runs sweet.
• I rebuilt the transmission in June. Replaced some worn 2nd & 3rd gear dog ears with some nice 5th gear ears from another box (thanks to the AlfaBB forum that so clearly explained how to pull dog ears from gears!). Also, new or flipped synchos and hubs. Box shifts very nice with only 100 miles on it.
• Electric radiator fan with thermostat (I wouldn’t own an Alfa any other way… quiet, free horsepower)
• New engine/trans/diff oils. New engine coolant. New oil filter, New tank and main fuel filter. New brake fluid in brake and clutch masters, Steering box topped off with oil/grease mixture (box was NOT dry).
• Standard 3 muffler Alfa exhaust system installed (car had a 2 ½ “ turbo exhaust installed when I purchased it). Sounds good, no resonance.
• New 27mm Poly Bushings for front Shankle sway bar, and poly spacers for rear T-Bar
• Replaced the front seats with ones from my turbo Berlina. These seats were reupholstered with the factory vinyl 10 years ago and are in very good condition (see pics).
• Smaller diameter Personal wood steering wheel from GTV/Spider installed to replace larger diameter, thinner, Berlina wheel (I have original Berlina wheel and can swap if desired).
• New leather shift boot
• Replaced tie rod end and had front end aligned
• Buffed out entire body and stainless bumpers (see pic)

I’ve owned 101/105/115 Alfas since 1970, and have owned several Berlinas (including my current turbo Berlina) . So I feel I’m qualified to compare this Berlina with others that I’ve owned or driven. Mechanically, this is a very solid Alfa. It does all the Alfa basics well: good power, smooth running engine, nice exhaust note, good clutch engagement, shifts all gears very well, smooth drivetrain (no driveshaft vibrations), good brakes, precise steering, predictable handling. I really enjoy driving this car.

Cosmetically, the car has many small bumps and dents in the bodywork. Most are not visible until you get up close. The most noticeable is a horizontal dent on the lower panel of the driver’s door (see pic at the online photo url listed at the bottom of this narrative). There is also an area on the right front quarter panel where paint is missing (due to the removal of glued-on door guard moldings previously installed (see pic)). I’ve had a paintless dent removal guy look over the car, and he can repair most of the smaller bumps. The dent in the door, and any subsequent repainting, will require conventional body repair. The stainless bumpers are near perfect. The only imperfection is a 1” dent on the front bumper near the bumper guard (see pic). The rear bumper is great. All of the body cosmetics (front grilles, light indicators, headlight rings, chrome/stainless moldings) are very good. This Berlina is nearly rust free. There is some bubbling under the paint along the top of the front windshield, and there is some surface rust in the spare wheel well (see pic). But I noticed none along the rockers, under the doors, and in the rear fender skirts. When it comes to judging the car cosmetically, your personal standard is all that matters. Therefore, look at the pictures, or better yet, come see the car yourself. Same goes for the interior. I think the pictures display the overall condition of the interior very well. BTW, the clock actually works and keeps good time!

I’m asking $8800 for the Berlina. I would prefer to sell the car to a knowledgeable Alfa person, hence I’m posting the car here first before I consider Ebay. If you are not local to So. Cal., I can arrange to pick you up at Orange County’s John Wayne airport. I can also help arrange shipping with your auto transport company. BTW, I wouldn’t hesitate to drive this car cross country with basic spares. A full set of pictures can be viewed at gfortneralfapictures.shutterfly.com. Besides email, I can be reached on my cell phone, 714 501-2163. Thanks for your interest, Gary.

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
berlina

Great looking car! Good luck with the sale. I have the "cousin" from the same lot in red. I love it.
Arthur

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ideal Alfa for me!

Wow- I bought my 73 Berlina with the need of sorting out things at $4400 and put out $4500 in repairs to straighten and I still need paint and carpets! If there was any way I could buy your Berlina, I would. Good Luck

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've received many comments like yours... Thank you. This Berlina even drives better than it looks. For those serious Berlina buyers, once they drive it, I have little doubt it will be sold. I hope those interested parties that PM'd me will negoitate their travel cost to come drive it. Any So Cal Berlina buyers?

Gary

·
Registered
55 Posts
As I try to find a day off from work to get carpets and pieces for my Berlina, I keep thinking of your Berlina--Is it sold yet?

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've taken a deposit, and I hope to finalize the sale tomorrow. When the Berlina is officially sold, I'll post it. Thanks for your continued interest.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Hi Gary,

Great to meet you yesterday. Got home around 10:30 last night in Palo Alto. Logged about 550 miles. The car is so sweet and fun to drive. The sunset heading north along Hwy 1 south of Big Sur was not bad either! Thank you so much for helping me add another friend to our family. She is just wonderful.

Guy

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Guy for posting that the drive home went well. I'm envious of your drive up Hwy 1 at dusk! I hope you will enjoy the Berlina for many years to come.

Gary

·
Registered
257 Posts
Congrats. Proper price for a proper car.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Mr. BlueGTV,

Nice buy, looks like a really great car at a reasonable price. It will turn a totally new set of heads on the road from the gtv. Congrats.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
72 Berlina

Thanks to all for the congratulations! Appreciated. Now if I could figure out why people of all sorts keep pulling along side, smiling and giving me a thumbs up :) !

Thanks again,
Guy

·
Registered
26 Posts
Congrats to the seller and the buyer. I was very interested in this car too but decided it was logistically more than I could at this moment.

Thanks to Gary for his patience and responsiveness regarding my questions about the car.

Scott

1 - 14 of 14 Posts