Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My alternator is busted for my GTV. I found a nice alternator but it has an internal voltage regulator. see pic. My GTV has the voltage regulator on the outside.

My question is as follow:

Would it be a problem using the one with the internal regulator and just plug in the existing connector to the alternator? Or do I have to do any alterations?

Also, I need to replace my starter, How difficult is to take the starter out from the car?. I can take out the bolts and disconnect it, but getting it out is another question. Do you get start out from under the car or above the car?

Thanks in Advance.

palito:)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,337 Posts
My alternator is busted for my GTV. I found a nice alternator but it has an internal voltage regulator. see pic. My GTV has the voltage regulator on the outside.
Define "nice" - usually alternators have part numbers. The alternator in your photo looks like the one used on later model spiders and Milanos. If that's what you have, it will physically bolt on.

Would it be a problem using the one with the internal regulator and just plug in the existing connector to the alternator? Or do I have to do any alterations?
An internally-regulated alternator provides a big improvement in reliability over the separate alternator-harness-regulator assembly that came in your GTV. So yea, it is a good upgrade.

But no, you can't just plug in the connector - I doubt it would even fit - your stock alternator has a three terminal plug, while the alternator shown in your photo appears to have just one low-amperage connector. Assuming you have a Milano-style alternator, it only needs two connections:

- the wire to the warning light goes to that spade terminal. You will need to cut this wire out of the harness that went to the external regulator, and probably extend it 8 - 12".

- the heavy wire from the battery attaches to the 6mm stud. No change there.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
It should be the green wire and yes, it is too short. Cut it, splice a longer wire to it and put a spade connector on the end of it. Chuck the old regulator and its wires and never look back. The new regulator is the black power transistor on the right of your picture. Unscrew the two philips screws on either side of it and remove it to check if the two brushes (square rods) are still long enough. If they are less than about 1/4", replace. They are about $30 - $40 depending on the source.

For the starter, it should come out the top. The air box must come out, of course. There should be plenty of room to lift it out. If it's still the old style, it is quite heavy.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Thanks stefano and Jay for your great answers. This helps a lot. I will do the work this weekend and hopefully will be a nice sunny day without rain and everything will go smooth.

cheers

palito
:)

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,568 Posts
famous last words:) sorry couldn't resist, did anyone mention to make sure and disconnect the battery?

·
Registered
228 Posts
In some 105s i've seen alternators with built in regulators and they were stock alfa. I'not sure for a 1972 , but from 1974, yes alfa also did it with internal in some cars.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts