Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 72 Spider and the turn signals didn't work so I am on the hunt for a color wiring diagram for the car. Any help with where to find a wiring diagram or possible cause for the turn signals not working would be great.
- Many thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
I sent you directly a wiring diagram developed by a well know, and unfortunately now deceased AlfaBB member. It was listed as being for '72 or '73. I think there are few, if any, differences. It's spot on for my '73.

·
Registered
110 Posts
BTW, many, if not most, electrical issues on these cars can be traced to bad grounds. That's where I'd start if you know the stalk switch and flasher unit are OK. On mine once my side marker lights started flashing instead of the lights in the bumpers. Cleaning up the grounds exorcized those demons. Also, I had this wiring diagram printed at the local office supply company in color in a large 2' X 3" and then laminated. It is proudly mounted on my garage wall for easy reference.

·
Registered
1978 Spider
201 Posts
remove all the fuses and hit the contacts lightly with a brass brush or even old toothbrush to knock any corrosion off the fuse block. A guy locally with an 84 had lots of stuff not working. As soon as he brushed the fuse contacts suddenly everything was working again. like magic.

Anywhere you see a cluster of ground wires, remove the screw, brush the terminals and re-install.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Checked the fuses and 1 and 3 are bad so I'll be replacing those and hoping they work. Also is there any big grounding spots I should check and clean up. Its a shame no ones created a map of all the grounding locations on the car.

·
Registered
1978 Spider
201 Posts
trust me...brush all the fuse contacts. I'm new to Alfa as well. No "map" I have found but every time I come across a cluster of grounds I give it a quick clean up. Under the dash, under hood, in the trunk are where you will often find grounds on any car. Black wires with a terminal screwed into the car's metal. Make sure the crimped terminal is still tight as well. After 40-50 years they need attention.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your guys' help. One last question. Where would you recommend I buy my fuses. I would like to buy 10ish of the 8amp as the car is all 8amp fuses. Everywhere I look they either come in multi-packs or seem cheap.

·
Registered
1978 Spider
201 Posts
Any of the standard venders here like CA, Centerline, Vicks, Alfaholics, etc or any European/German specialty vender will stock them. Just search for "GBC" or "torpedo fuse". You "might" have luck at your local auto parts store but these are becoming more of a "specialty" item. Even ebay or Amazon are options.

I went with glass fuses and am very happy. I never likes the plastic ones with the exposed metal strip.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Thanks for all your guys' help. One last question. Where would you recommend I buy my fuses. I would like to buy 10ish of the 8amp as the car is all 8amp fuses. Everywhere I look they either come in multi-packs or seem cheap.
Be sure and buy the ceramic copper fuses, not the aluminum clad. Aluminum will oxidize and the fuse will not pass current. Ceramic Fuse 8 Amp | Centerline International

1 - 10 of 10 Posts