Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:

I just purchased my Montreal on 4/23/2020.

I am attempting to replace the fuel filter elements within the filter housing that is located in engine bay.

I have removed the two bolts with brass spacers.

Yet the black housing does not move. Do I need a tool to force the removal of this housing in order to replace the filter elements?

Please advise.

James

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase, please add some photos and your location. It’s probably just stuck onto the rubber gasket, tap it lightly with a small mallet or something similar to shock it loose.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much.

So it does not twist off once the two bolts are removed, correct? She should just pull down with a little "shock" therapy with a mallet?

If you confirm, I will try this.

I live in Southern New Jersey. I will take some pics of the Monti once (or if!) it ceases to rain!.

Jamison

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Hi Jamison, Yes, remove the 17mm hex head bolt and give it a tap. It should come right off. Welcome to the Montreal community, I'm in NNJ. I'll pm you my number, give me a call. Peter.

·
Push hard and live
9,657 Posts
It only requires removal of the one bolt at the top Center of the housing. Not sure what “two” bolts you are referring to.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I recently disassembled mine. Once you remove the top bolt, it should come apart with little effort. If you need a bit of additional persuasion, use a light dead blow, wood block or something else that won't damage the housing. The black plastic outer sleeve is very brittle and cracks very easily. Better to remove it if possible before tapping the housing.

On mine, the black sleeve was cracked and slid right off. The metal underneath was yellow chromated steel. One very light tap caused steel filter housing to separate from the aluminum casting.

And at the risk of sidetracking someone else's thread . . . has anyone restored the FISPA marked, black plastic sleeve that had cracked? Mine is badly cracked (with some chunks cracked off and missing) and needs some serious TLC. My plan had been to clean it well, fill the crack with epoxy (mixed with some carbon black), then sand the repair flush and repaint. But if someone has done this before, with good results, any suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Thank you so much.

So it does not twist off once the two bolts are removed, correct? She should just pull down with a little "shock" therapy with a mallet?

If you confirm, I will try this.

I live in Southern New Jersey. I will take some pics of the Monti once (or if!) it ceases to rain!.

Jamison
Congratulations on your purchase, I am on Long Island. Maybe one day when this mess is over we can get together with all the other Montreal ownersnin the tri-state.

Pino

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
On mine, the black sleeve was cracked and slid right off. The metal underneath was yellow chromated steel.

Mine is badly cracked (with some chunks cracked off and missing) and needs some serious TLC.... any suggestions are welcome.
I saw this in Italy while looking for 105 bag and tools. Might be an option and you could sell what you have.

Mark

·
Registered
159 Posts
I saw this in Italy while looking for 105 bag and tools. Might be an option and you could sell what you have.

Mark
Thanks Mark. It's a bit pricey. But more importantly, the black plastic outer sleeve appears to be cracked from top to bottom - just like mine.

I've done some looking but haven't found anything decent, so I decided to restore mine. I've sand blasted all hardware and the metal fuel bowl, burnished with a brass wire wheel, then zinc plated and yellow chromated everything. Aluminum housing is awaiting vapor blasting in an attempt to achieve that "just cast" look.

I haven't decided how to repair the cracked (and missing slivers) outer housing as I don't know the type of plastic (ABS?). Clearly it's hard and brittle. But unless I know the type, I can't plastic weld it, which leaves me with an epoxy repair as next best choice. Anyway, once it's repaired, my plan is to sand it down, paint it black, then replicate the FISPA info with a water slide decal, followed by clear coat - or at least, that's the plan.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Thanks Mark. It's a bit pricey. But more importantly, the black plastic outer sleeve appears to be cracked from top to bottom - just like mine.
I agree that it sounds very pricey but...the seller says "USED RESTORED ... PERFECT ORIGINAL. "
Guess it would pay to ask questions first, so you don't have to use their return policy. I've noticed Italy and UK often use only one or two photographs. When I list something, like the Montreal tachometer cluster I have listed now, I usually use 12 photographs so you can see a part from every angle. If I don't use all 12 possible photographs, I hear about it from eBay! The fuel filter makes my tach. cluster seem too cheap!

Mark

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
12,021 Posts
I've seen these filters with and without the plastic outer sleeve. I do not know the source of the one in my picture, but it has not outer sleeve and is painted black, with the graphics on top. The one on the left is one that I pained and applied a water slide decal to. My 69 Spider also has the filter bowl with the plastic sleeve. But, it's tucked so far down in the engine compartment, that it's just not noticeable.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've seen these filters with and without the plastic outer sleeve. I do not know the source of the one in my picture, but it has not outer sleeve and is painted black, with the graphics on top. The one on the left is one that I pained and applied a water slide decal to. My 69 Spider also has the filter bowl with the plastic sleeve. But, it's tucked so far down in the engine compartment, that it's just not noticeable.

View attachment 1629582
That looks awesome Brian. That's exactly what I'm after, except mine will have the outer sleeve (diameter would look too small otherwise relative to the aluminum casting).

Are you still selling the FISPA filter water slide decals? If so, let me know and I'll shoot you a pm. I already have an adhesive version. But it's going to be tough to lay it down without air pockets and will be visibly bold of the surface once clear coated. The water slide decal would be much better.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts