Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I am in Turkey and two weeks ago bought a S2 Spider. Till now I owned as weekend car American classics, this is my first European classic and just started to collect information about my Spider.

The car has been imported in 1973 into Turkey and I dont have the information about the initial owners. The previous owner told me it is a 1971 with a 2l engine but this might be wrong or right, no clue. The car has American trim, but during the time with restricted import period till 80s in Turkey some parts as well as engine may be replaced from a donor car. Unfortunately we see here that kind of changes in many classic cars which have been imported in 60s&70s into Turkey. I have searched the Fusi numbers posted here and could not find my VIN on the range of the lists. The VIN plate shows 105 57 and AR1820877. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Baybars

·
Registered
9,628 Posts
Welcome to AlfaBB.

You may want to send an e-mail with the chassis number to [email protected] and ask them for information about your car. They usually respond within a few days with sales date, manufacturing date, where it was sold to and what the original color was.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Welcome Baybars.

The model 10557 is a European version 1750 Spider Veloce. The chassis number makes it a Series 2 Kamm Tail. This Kamm Tail model was produced in 1970 and 1971. The original 1750 engine type number, on a pad just to the rear of the distributor or on the left side bellhousing flange behind the #4 exhaust pipe, is AR00548.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
1750 Spider Veloce EU

Welcome Baybars.

The model 10557 is a European version 1750 Spider Veloce. The chassis number makes it a Series 2 Kamm Tail. This Kamm Tail model was produced in 1970 and 1971. The original 1750 engine type number, on a pad just to the rear of the distributor or on the left side bellhousing flange behind the #4 exhaust pipe, is AR00548.
Hello Baybars and Jim,

An e-mail to Alfa Romeo will give the definite date on which this 1750 Spider Veloce was produced and sold. In the mean time, Tabucchi and d'Amico tell us in their book "Alfa Romeo Production cars from 1910" second edition from 2007, that this car was produced in 1971. The production of 1971 included chassisnumber #1820703 untill #1821263.

Ciao, Olaf

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks for all responses.

I sent an email to [email protected] but got an out of office reply.

The car papers show the engine VIN as AR00512519368 but I did not check yet the number pyhsically on the engine block. On Fusi production numbers AR00512519368 looks like an 2l engine with year 1972. Where I can find the VIN on the block?

Thanks, Baybars

By the way the pic of the car next to a nice Corvette:

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Engine number and engine type

Dear Baybars,

Have a look at this link and you will know exactly where to look for the engine number. The link will also tell you what engine type is in your car. And if there is no engine number, the second link will tell you what marking corresponds with which engine type.
Engine numbers: Engine numbers
Engine type: http://www.veloce.se/497da673-30dd-4063-b644-518353a2aaa8-29.html

The VIN engine number you mentioned (if it corresponds with the engine in the car) indeed points at a 2000 cc unit.

Ciao, Olaf

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found the engine block number, many thanks.

The offical documents of car say 00512 519368 but the number is 00512*S19368* :rolleyes:

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Engine type AR00512 is a European version 2000cc engine. The letter 'S' that precedes the engines sequential serial number indicates that this engine has been Standardized for emission controls at the time it was manufactured. Standardized engines first appeared in about 1973.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Olaf, Jim and Ruedi,

Today I got also a reply from AR.

Dear Mister Ozturk,

with reference to your request we are informing you as follows.

According to our documentation files, the chassis number AR 1820877 originally corresponds to an Alfa Romeo 1750 Spider Veloce (105.57), engine series AR 00548, manufactured on the 20th February 1971 and sold on the 26th February 1971 to Alfa Romeo Germany, Frankfurt.

The body colour is red, with black tex interiors.

Yours, Sincerely,

Marco Fazio

It looks like the car has been imported to Turkey in 1973 from Germany and afterwards someone replaced the original AR00548 1750cc engine with a 2000cc.

Thanks again for all responses, highly appreciated.

Regards,

Baybars

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Baybars

Hello,

I am thinking that it was me and my girlfriends who owned this car before.... we had lots of fun in it when we were working in Istanbul. The seats really saw some action :)

I am in Ukraine at the moment but we will be in Istanbul soon after Ramadan, when all the Turkish men get their hunger back :)

Perhaps we can meet and I will share with you all the paperwork we have...:)

kisses

Natasha Cumallova

·
Registered
9,628 Posts
Yes, of course. And it's your real name and you real face and you want real money in the end. Nice trolling.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts