Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1971 1750 spider euro with carbs and 11.1 mm cams from Centerline.
My question is do I need to set the tappet gap any differant than what manuals suggest for this car due to the use of these Hi-Performance cams? The centerline web page has the gaps for this vehicle at Exhaust-.021 and Intake -.018.

Also are there suggestions if I should change the the gaps that I currently have to match the 021 and 018 or good to leave alone? The gaps are currently:
Exhaust Intake
.018 .016
.017 .017
.018 .016
.018 .015

·
Richard Jemison
7,376 Posts
Centerline cams

They should be fine as you have them set.
However, I don`t know if they have a slow opening and closing ramp as do stock Alfa cams. (but I doubt it)
Call Joe at Centerline and ask.

Another clue is tappet/cam follower noise. As loose as you currently have them set, if they are making a lot of noise, that indicates the lash is too loose (cams with no "slow" closing ramp) and should be closed up. Common aftermarket lash with such cams range from .008 to .014.
If they are noisey then that will cause high wear issues.

Commonly I suggest using .010 intake and .012 exhaust. ( I use .008/.010 on my race engines)

·
Richard Jemison
7,376 Posts
Centerline cams

Sometime ago Joe sent me a profile of the cams and they do have a typical slow closing ramp as do stock cams.

As long as intake lash is above .016 and exh above .017 you should be fine. You might correct the intake thats at .015.

Looking at the profile I would suggest using LCs of 104/106.

Don`t ask for the profile, it`s Centerline`s property.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Ricahrd
I'll take your advice and expand the one intake to .017 as it is actually a tight .015. There does not seem to be an excessive amount of tappet noise
so I think I am good. I just had concern of running any tolerances too close. If you are running tolerances under .010 then I guess there no reason for me to be overly concerned.
The engine does seem to run great with these cams though...but I have nothing to compare it to as this is the only Alfa I have ever driven.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts