Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Is there a bushing (or bushings) in particular that would cause the driveshaft to rub on the driveshaft tunnel? I was thinking possibly some bushings in/on the differential. On sharp left turns, the driveshaft scrapes on something in the driveshaft tunnel. Also, when going diagonally across a driveway. The rear transmission mount was replaced about 2,000 miles ago. The front engine mounts are unknown when last replaced.

Also, are the temperature gauges on these cars accurate? I've replaced the radiator as well as the temperature sender and it still reads a little high, but it doesn't boil over or anything.

Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
Do you get a "Thump-thump-thump" during accelleration? If so, it sounds like a worn driveshaft bearing/bushing. The bearing is pressed onto the shaft and surrounded by a rubber bushing that is secured to the tunnel by a steel clamp.
Over time the rubber material decays and the shaft will flop around. There are several threads on the subject already.

On the thermostat: It really depends. Thermostats can be sourced from many suppliers and variances can occur. You should see around 180 degrees on the guage. I can't speak from experience, but others have used infra-red thermometers to determine the true temp of the engine.

Guys?

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Sean, I'll second John's though, check the center support bearing, as it moves around, if bad, it can make a scraping sound or as d/s rubs against the e-brake components, while you're at it check the "U" joints and flex disc. On the running a little warm, the guage/sender could be the cause. Are you running a SPICA? The system can be a set a little lean, it will run very well but can lead to other problems if too lean, what do the plugs look like? Do you have a good fan shroud installed? Is the fan belt tight enough? Could the waterpump impellor be corroded?

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Just a few different thoughts from the good ones already stated....might take a look and the trailing arm bushings and the trunion bushing and its mounts. Might also look inside your wheel well and see if it might be a tire rubbing on the back side of the tire.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi guys, I will check the things you mentioned. I forgot to add that about three months ago, I put in a new rubber donut, new center support and bearing, and new u-joints.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have no idea if this could cause your problem but I just replaced the motor mounts on my yellow '71. I had none of your symptoms but I did have a screeching noise when revving. That was the fan beginning to touch the cowling. My mounts were so sagged that they actually were resting on the nuts that held them on. I don't know if replacing the mounts would help your problem but if you don't know when they were done last you should think about doing it soon. My car had 61K and has not been driven since '89. I suspect the mounts were OK when it was parked and died over the years.

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
You can get a pretty good idea if your motor mounts are ready to be replaced. Check the nut on the motor mount lower stud. If the rubber is up against it (ie, so that a wrench can't get on the nut) then its time. Whether it's the root cause or not, it would probably be a good idea to replace the motor mounts on a '71 if they have been done in the last 20 years.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey all,

Does anyone know what kind of bolts go through the front sway bar brackets? What size and dimensions? This would explain the thump I hear when I turn my wheel as the sway bar is just loose and rattling around...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts