Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've watched this Spider fail to sell on eBay twice in the last month and, while I'm usually very suspect of cars offered on eBay, this one is parked within 25 miles of me and I can't help but be interested.

But, and this is a big 'but,' I'm a total novice when it comes to Alfas. While I've spent a good fifteen years banging around on sixties-era Fords and Chevys, the only thing I know about Alfa Spiders are how they make me drool every time that I see one on the road in Northeast Ohio (which isn't very often). So, can you helpful guys and gals that frequent this site take a quick peek at the eBay link:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1971-Alfa-Romeo-Spyder-Convertible_W0QQitemZ110145261676QQihZ001QQcategoryZ84154QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
and tell me what you think?

Your observations, guidance, and suggestions, will be greatly appreaciated!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Go and have a look....

Since you are so close to the car you can rule out the most common reason why eBay has a bad reputation as a place to buy cars (people trying to 'sell' cars that they don't own, pocketing your deposit and dissappearing). Go and have a look at the car and see if you think it worth the money. In the end, you are the one who has to like the car.

eBay isn't all bad, I've had mostly great experiences buying used parts from people on eBay, stuff that I couldn't find elsewhere, or if I had to get new would be prohibitively expensive. Just be careful.

If the car isn't selling, it is likely because the reserve is a bit too high, or the car isn't in good enough shape to warrant the care and attention it probably needs and deserves.

For comparison purposes, there is another '71 listed here on the BBS that seems to be in better mechanical shape than the one in your 'hood.

At any rate, you have come to the right place, the Alfa Bulletin Board, read the "before you buy guide", use the search function and learn all you can.

Have a great day,
Ian.

·
Premium Member
5,478 Posts
Here is a great starting point: http://spiderfaq.home.att.net/index.htm

The Series 2 spiders from 1971 thru 1974 are generally considered the most sought after as they are the most powerful (or the least de-tuned to meet EPA) engines and have the stainless steel bumpers. They are also the lightest between the bumpers and door reinforcements by a few hundred pounds. It has been a popular modification to replace the rubber bumpers of the '75 -'82 (Series 2a) Spiders with SS bumpers. With new reproduction bumpers costing $2k the value of the worst Series 2 should start at $2k if the bumpers are in good shape. But here in Alfa-land it doesn't always work that way.

The 1971 Spider 1750 is unique in that it was essentially the only year that the 1750 engine was available in a Kamm (Series 2) body - at least in the USA. You would think this would mean that they would command a premium but again it does not seem to be the case.

Rust is the big issue with any Alfa and a spider is no exception. Anything along the rockers, 1/4 panels and spare tire well is suspect. Most people would (correctly) argue that a higher priced restored spider is cheaper in the long run than a cheap, unrestored one because the cost of repairs is so high. Personally I go the other direction (cheap, unrestored) because, at the end of the day I know what's behind the pretty paint. But I am fortunate to be able to do a lot of the work here. If you can weld, sand, and paint there are definitely some bargains to be had.

If the EBay spider is nearby, then by all means go check it out. But leave your check book at home - even the worst spider is a seductress and no match for mere mortals. I usually tell people to decide what you want to do: Cheap fun or full resto or somewhere in between. But I have come to realize (from personal experience) that there is no "cheap" and there is no "In between". Sooner or later you are going to want to dump obscene amounts of money into your "beloved" Alfa.

Have fun!

BTW, I too have had very good success with EBay. I have purchased several Alfas and sold many (non-Alfa's) as well. As with anything, though, it's buyer beware.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Just looking at the condition of the engine compartment, I think the car had been sitting for quite some time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
71 spider

This car is located about 5 miles from me. I just drove over in my 1971 BMW 2002 to look at it. I know very little about these cars but I'd say this one is pretty rough. The front floors aren't bad but the rockers have very serious bubbling and the interior looks complete but very faded and worn.It has New Jersey plates on it

·
Premium Member
5,478 Posts
I am more put off by a bad interior than rust (up to a point anyway). I can cut and weld and putty and paint but don't ask me to sew! There is something about paying $1k to get a dash restored that just doesn't sit well with me...

Glad you looked at it though. It is a start and you can benchmark from there. BTW, did he tell you what he wants for it?

- Rich D.

·
Registered
4 Posts
71 spider

No one came out of the house. I believe the For Sale sign on the car said $3,600. It looks a lot better on the e-bay pics than it does in-person. It might be a nice project, but it won't be inexpensive!

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Those pictures are def. good for one thing: they show what correct series 2 bumpers are supposed to look like. The '73s and '74 were mangled by the factory to meet moronic US standards. IMHO the 71s look as good or better than the hallowed series 1s.

The good news is that the 73s and 74s can be from what I hear relatively easily corrected. Mine certainly will be at some point.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all!

Thanks to everyone who was willing to share your knowledge and expertise. Thus far I've been unsuccessful in my attempts to contact the seller but will let you all know if I get any further with this car.

By the way 'jlandreth,' I sent you a private message.

Thanks again all!

SG

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've driven by the house several times and the car is no longer in the yard. I'm asuming he accepted the e-bay high bid. Scott G.- I sent you an e-mail several days ago.The car looked pretty ratty to me

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
:rolleyes: You guys are all nit pickers:mad: and apparently didn't fully read the ad spec's:

There is an OWNERS MANUAL with service diagrams !!!

It is easy to drive TOO FAST in this car!:cool:

The car is a two-seater, but it has quite a nice bit of space behind the seats for groceries, etc. :)

The seats are comfortable:D

I could go on but I sense you guys are looking for show queens:p

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
"It was driven at distance up to 40 miles per trip"

No wonder you like this one; that's more mileage than you have put on your car in three years.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts