Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I’ve searched and searched and searched, but I can’t find an answer to my specific question. My apologies if I get under anyone’s skin with my questions...

First, the window... I want to replace the regulator, but I can’t remove the old one. The snag is that plastic thing that goes through the glass and pinches the cable when the window is lowered/raised. What do I have to do to “unpinch” the cable at that point? And once I have the regulator removed, do I really have to install the new one by inserting my ham hock hands inside the door cavity to thread the cable around the pulleys/wheels/capstans...?

The door lock... I can’t open the door from inside, I.e., I can’t pull the handle toward the rear. I can only lock it from the inside by pushing the handle forward, and at that point I have to open the door using the outside handle. What’s the solution? How do I get at the lock mechanisms from inside...?

·
Registered
756 Posts
do you have a photo of the bit you mentioned, I replaced both my regulators a few years ago. I remember an entire weekend disappearing doing it including giving the inside of the doors a cleanout.

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
when you take the door apart it will become apparent. The two thru-holes in the glass are secured to the cable via two bolts, look on the other side of the glass and you will see how it comes off. I dont recall exact details but its a nut-and-bolt type fastener, unscrew it and the cable falls out

Yes, you have to set the regulator up by making sure the cable goes around all the pulleys. Remove the bottom 'bar' with the two pulleys on it, clean it up, check the pulleys, grease them up so they rotate nicely, paint the bar, etc and replace. FOr the door latch there is an arm on the release mechanism that trips the latch. You might consider completely stripping the entire door (remove everyhting including latches, etc) and rebuilding/ restoring everything. The latch mechanisms get clogged up with dried grease and tend to stick.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Replacing the regulator video here:

When you remove the regulator it will be a little easier to look into the lock issue. You may have to pull the other door panel off to compare the operation of pulling back on the handle to open the door and see where the drivers door is failing. Take pictures of everything before you start taking anything apart.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First, I stand corrected — the two contraptions that go through the window holes are in fact metal, not plastic. Photo attached.

More importantly... I might be clueless, but I don’t see a way to separate the door into two pieces, short of cutting it in half. I did see the cool video previously, but damned if I know how to remove the inner half of the door shell...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when you take the door apart it will become apparent. The two thru-holes in the glass are secured to the cable via two bolts, look on the other side of the glass and you will see how it comes off. I dont recall exact details but its a nut-and-bolt type fastener, unscrew it and the cable falls out
how do you get at the head of the bolt if it’s on the back side of the glass...?

·
Registered
747 Posts
how do you get at the head of the bolt if it’s on the back side of the glass...?
Is your glass window all the way down?

I believe there is a way to manually crank the windows with a tool.

Do you have the tools the car came with by chance?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts