Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
car looks complete sans door panels and radio... but the rust.. I think goes deeper than stated. As a Professional body and paint guy for many years... that is alot of work to fix. If you have the skills to do it your self, thats great. If you have to pay for it... Have a fat wallet. Plus most metal work would have to be hand fabricated or originals hunted down such as a spare tire well. Depends on what level you want to restore the car or just make a nice driver our of it.. Bottom Line... Lots and lots of money needed here.

·
Registered
257 Posts
This car has at least 115000 miles on it. In the interior picture, it is clear that the gas pedal is worn to bare metal.

·
Registered
115 Posts
$50,000 is my estimate.
I would say that is a fair estimate... Plus the 10K for the car or whatever it goes for.. Its complete and looks to be a fair candidate for a resto... but is not for the weekend guy..

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
If anyone here buys it, bring it to me to restore, I can do it for LESS than $50K. After all, Metal is my middle name !!;-}
It is substantially cleaner than the one I'm finishing in the next month or so, and and a hail of a lot less rusty than the one I'm starting this summer.
Looks like a very good candidate for restoration. As to mileage, yeah there is wear on the pedal edge, but other things make me think the mileage could be right.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Interesting - 2 basket case Montreals in recent weeks. Anyone know what became of the orange one Tillack had for sale? I have the day off today, maybe I'll drive by Tillack's shop and see if it is still there.

·
Registered
257 Posts
If anyone here buys it, bring it to me to restore, I can do it for LESS than $50K. After all, Metal is my middle name !!;-}
It is substantially cleaner than the one I'm finishing in the next month or so, and and a hail of a lot less rusty than the one I'm starting this summer.
Looks like a very good candidate for restoration. As to mileage, yeah there is wear on the pedal edge, but other things make me think the mileage could be right.
Wow, that is a bargain if you can do that for under 50K. Does that include the engine and interior / trim? If it does, it is a real deal.

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,766 Posts
This car has at least 115000 miles on it. In the interior picture, it is clear that the gas pedal is worn to bare metal.
I agree. Without a set of detailed service records to verify the mileage, assume its 115k if not 215k.

So assume it needs a full mechanical refresh as well as bodywork. Have fun with that...

·
Premium Member
2,237 Posts
One of the most appealing aspects of this Montreal is that it is a very early car. Out of the 3917 Montreals built, this was number 62! Only the earliest Montreals had the chrome (ss?) trim at the base of the A pillar and it's still there on this one. It also appears to have the correct early Campy wheels. The only thing I see missing (other than those noted in the listing) is the trim on the left eyelid.

I'd be bidding if I had the extra cash (and space).:(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you read the listing, according to the title the car had 12,000 mi on it when purchased in 1981, and 15,000 in 1991. It has sat in storage since. The pictures at Photobucket also show the carpet, clutch and brake pedals to be quite clean/unworn.

·
Registered
257 Posts
If you read the listing, according to the title the car had 12,000 mi on it when purchased in 1981, and 15,000 in 1991. It has sat in storage since. The pictures at Photobucket also show the carpet, clutch and brake pedals to be quite clean/unworn.
Yes. However you can not rely on the US documents since these cars were never imported and many of these imported cars have false documentation when they were imported through the gray market. In 1981, the car had probably 112000 mile on it but shows only 12000 on the odometer. The carpet and the plastic covers for the brake and clutch appear to be newer then the car itself. It is impossible to wear out the accelerator pedal with such low millage. Also the replacement for the accelerator pedal is more expensive and more rare.

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,766 Posts
Read it carefully. It says "odometer shows". These odometers roll over at 99k miles.

As others have pointed out, that acclerator pedal has way more than 12k worth of wear on it. Easily 112k if not 212k. My '71 spider had 89k miles showing on the odometer, but was actually 189k miles. I bought it because it came with all the records since new, and pretty much everything except the front suspension had been replaced at least once.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts