Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here. I found a 71 on Ebay locally and now have it. I guess my first question is, what are these really worth? This has bondo in it, a bit of rust in the bottom, Runs smooth, shifts nice, but needs lots of love. It was a school bus yellow at birth, now loud yellow. LOL .
Mind you I play with Porsche's normally, and just finished a 67 912. Is there anything special I should know about "Guido", quarks, normality's, issues, you know. And where is a good place for parts? I see "International" plastered all over, they good?
So, any good advice would be welcomed. I'll be asking a lot of questions in the near future.
Thanks.

mrmom
Round Rock, TX.

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
Post photo's and you will get a lot more comments, answers, and advice. Welcome to the ABB.

·
Premium Member
5,684 Posts
'71s are a transitional and rather unique model: They possess a lot of the features of the '69 (equally rare) such as the 1750 motor, 2 pod dash, sweeping center console and old school grille. They also share details from the later GTV2000 including large taillights and non-buttressed seats (although the pattern is unique to the '71s).

That said, there aren't a whole lot of differences in value from a step nose to a 1750GTV to a 2000GTV:

A non-running parts car: $0 - $500
Running rust buckets: $2k - $5k
Decent Drivers: $10k - $15k
Exceptional: $25k - $35k
Really Special: $45k and up

Then there are GTAs, GTaMs, etc, that can get really, really pricey.

To restore a decent, somewhat rusty but complete driver into a to be proud of range will take anywhere from $15 - $30k and up depending on what you start with, what you can do and where you live.

The best news about Alfas is the availability of parts, information, and expertise. Mechanical items are a breeze and relatively reasonable price-wise (especially if you are used to Porsche). Bodywork is body work. The interiors can be tricky and expensive (a restored dash will cost a grand).

They are mostly easy to work on the thoughtful design will bring a smile to your face as you dig into it. Then again, there will be times when a torch is the preferred solution...

Good luck and yes, pictures are very important around here!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, that's the general info I was looking for. The car runs, the interior has some issues, rust in the pans, and trunk. bondo bubbles in the usual spots, no bumpers. Cheap yellow paint job. Looks like I have to pull the front & rear windows to replace the headliner. (Porsche is that way) I get a chance, I'll get some pics. Odds are I'll get it decent, and sell it. To many toys and now this LOL.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
beautiful 912.
can't say the same about the gtv just yet but im sure you have great plans for it and judging by the 912 i can tell you have great taste...ill be interested to hear how they compare.

this BB is a godsend. I started with zero alfa knowledge and now im a regular know it all and try to give back whenever I can. ask lots of questions here.

start with a full set of shop manuals + parts diagrams. got mine (digitally) from AROC via papajam on this board for a very reasonable sum.

parts - int'l is okay, especially when they have sales (sign up for their emails) but be sure to check out the UK suppliers - Alfaholics and Classicalfa are who i've ordered from and I rate them very highly. Things tend to arrive within the week and for smallish parts, they are almost always cheaper than int'l, sometimes significantly so.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 912 was in a junkyard, slated to be squished. It only had 2 wheels. But in TX, rust is not that bad. The 912 has about none on it. Here are a few of the before & after of it. It took a year, and I only farmed out the alignment.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
The 912 was in a junkyard, slated to be squished. It only had 2 wheels. But in TX, rust is not that bad. The 912 has about none on it. Here are a few of the before & after of it. It took a year, and I only farmed out the alignment.
you are the man. go forth and better-ify that GTV.

·
Super Moderator
11,552 Posts
where is a good place for parts? I see "International" plastered all over, they good?
Mrmom:

Other parts suppliers include Centerline in Colorado, AlfaParts here in California, and Vick Autosports there in Texas. International and Centerline have printed catalogs which can be very useful - call them, and they'll gladly send you copies.

Looks like that GTV is going to need some love. The underhood sheetmetal should be body color - not black. The battery "+" cable looks pretty funky - it should route under the engine along the crossmember - not over the engine (I've never seen that done before!). Steering wheel rim should be black plastic on a '71 - wood rimmed wheels were used on '72 and later cars. Looks like you have a broken turn signal lever - unfortunately, the headlight/turnsignal switches are quite expensive - you might look for a good, used one.

Yes, all the windows (front, sides, rear) need to come out to replace the headliner.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts