Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1971 GTV steering column shroud question

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  supergiulia 
#1 ·
I bought a steering column shroud for my 1971 GTV and it does not fit.
I am wondering if anyone has heard of people swapping out columns?
The one I have is off in several dimensions, some by at least an inch.
Any info will be appreciated!
Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
Nardi hub, not stock.
I get that might be contributing, but the dimension issue also involves how far from the base of the column the indicator stalks are, and how far from the indicator stalks the notch that the shroud locks into are closest to the hub side. It is off in a number of ways.

#4 · (Edited)
Who did you buy the shroud from? A well-respected Alfa parts supplier? Some stranger on ebay? Or ???

What does the seller say about its fit? Is it possible that you were sent the wrong shroud? The Classic Alfa website shows two types:

- p/n IN252 Fits 2000 GTV and late GT Junior with a 2000 GTV style dashboard, 2000 Kamtail Spiders and 2000 Berlina.

- pn IN254 For cars with shallow dished steering wheels. Fits 1750GTV and GT Junior 1968-72, also Roundtail Spiders 1300 & 1750

Just from the photos on their website, the IN254 looks longer; perhaps that's the type you got, but needed an IN252

Reactions: kengta
#5 ·
Who did you buy the shroud from? A well-respected Alfa parts supplier? Some stranger on ebay? Or ???

What does the seller say about its fit? Is it possible that you were sent a shroud for a spider instead of one for a GT?
Good questions. Came from one of the two big british suppliers, whom I have been in touch with. The part #s match the original part.
Seller isnt sure, they dont have a later shroud in stock to measure. The spider ones look very different, though as do the later GTV ones.

#6 ·
I will be looking for one from my 68/9 GTV 1750 also. There are some (supposedly NOS) ones in Melbourne Australia. I was looking at the Classic Alfa ones above. IIRC the steering column has some adjustment in it with the two retaining through bolts, but not as much as you need.

#9 ·
Thanks

View attachment 1610365 View attachment 1610366
You have the wrong one as others have said. You might try searching this bb as you are not first with this type of question regarding shrouds and steering column length and column support Alu bracket variations and steering wheel hub interference.

Regards

Ken

#10 ·
Hi Mbaby, did you ever solve this,tell us how.

Thx

Ken

#11 ·
Hi Ken,
Thanks for the interest. I went digging through the back stock of a longtime Alfa shop in Orange County and found one that fit. I do not know what it was from originally, but it is in there properly now. Sorry that isn't better info except that, as you said already, I had the wrong one.
Best
Ward

#12 · (Edited)
Thanks

View attachment 1610365 View attachment 1610366
Hi All,

I just saw there is 2 discussions around the column shrouds and the 69-71 1750s'.

I can give you some infos around this usual matter.

1) it depends on your country.
The european and many other countries car have long steering column and long shroud till the 2000 GTV introduced for MY 1971.
But you, american had different laws so the short steering column was introduced with the MY 69 1750 spica cars.

2) As a consequence the cars from 69 in USA and 2000 GTV for european has big dish wheels , and so short columns.

3) Everything sems easy with what I relate above BUT:
take care as many cars have been retrofitted with either long or short column over the years because of cracked steering box.
Be sure also that the wheel is the good one for the column. For example a deep dish wheel will fit a long column. BUT no shroud will fit and match the gap.

4) So to be sure of the good shroud to buy, look at the distance between the stalks and the wheel.
small and fatted front part = short shroud
long and thin front part = long shroud.

Hope it can help some of you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.