Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That IS the question. But, not the only one. I've had my 1971 GTV 1750 for about ten years. I've driven it about ten thousand miles in that time. It's got 12K on a rebuilt engine and a Wes Ingram SPICA rebuild. I've done a ton of stuff on it over the decade, new steering box, all new bushings on front end, tie rods, new gas tank, wiring, Cromadoras, Master Cylinder, all brake lines, new calipers... the list goes on. Most everything has been mechanical/electrical. no body work. I'm thinking of restoring the body, which needs it. There is the typical smallish rust bubbles around the windshield, but otherwise rust doesn't seem not bad. Body is relatively straight. No apparent buckles on top of the rear whell wells, but possibly some bondo on rear fender.

What are the factors I need to consider when deciding whether to restore it? For starters, what will a spanking new 1750 1971 GTV be worth? Anyone tackling a '71 1750 resto? How rare is this car in Calif? Most all the GTVs I've seen are post-'72 2 liters.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Man, I think if you've had it for 10 years, and clearly you love it - then the last half-a-dozen questions you asked are irrelevant. Do the resto!! You'll be proud of it.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I'm with Ben, the questions you have don't really come into play (as sensible and logical as they are). If you love the car, do it! The big question about a resto is whether you think (or know) you will love the process (you have to love it a lot!!;)). The zen of restoration: it's not about the end, it's about the journey.

I reckon you've already been bitten by the bug, look forward to seeing some pics as you progress!:D

·
Registered
863 Posts
It sounds like you already have done the restoration, what you want to do now is the cosmetic part. My question to you is, "what is the car worth to you if you want to sell it", and would you.
My older brother had a 1976 Spider that he owned for years till he got married, after that he didn't drive it much because his wife was always cold and didn't let him enjoy it, so he sold it. He regrets it to this day.
I agree with Gavin, "it's about the journey".

Rich

Rich

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
If there are rust bubbles appearing and the body is not like the rest of the car, I would restore it. One thing to consider is that the body is not going to get better as the days go by. Hence it will be more work to tackle this with every day that goes by. As far as the cost and recovering your investment should you decide to sell? Well, you won't. These cars have been appreciating and restored ones are expensive today, but no one makes money when restoring a car. In fact, the money you have in your car will always exceed whatever price you can sell it for. However, the investment is small compared to the joy you will experience for years to come.

Best regards,

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
to me it would all depend on whether she still has the original paint. If the rust is really little and in one spot, having her original would probably be worth more to me. Especially living in CA, it likely won't spread. If the rust is getting bad it's time to restore

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
to me it would all depend on whether she still has the original paint. If the rust is really little and in one spot, having her original would probably be worth more to me. Especially living in CA, it likely won't spread. If the rust is getting bad it's time to restore
When a Californian complains that his car is 'rusty', a New Englander usually has to squint to see what he's talking about.

Therefore, restore it!

;)

bs

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
For starters, what will a spanking new 1750 1971 GTV be worth?

I know this wasn't a ? but I wouldn't go into a restoration thinking that I would get my money back unless it's my profession and that I could do all the work myself. At $65 - $100/hr. labor charges for farmed out work, it's hard to re-coop your $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

·
Registered
62 Posts
a proper restoration will cost at least 10000$...check out the website and you'll see what you have to do to get a good result...If you love the car and have the money...go for it :eek:

·
Super Moderator
10,163 Posts
Rich had written:

"My older brother had a 1976 Spider that he owned for years till he got married, after that he didn't drive it much because his wife was always cold and didn't let him enjoy it, so he sold it. He regrets it to this day."

He regrets selling his spider, or regrets getting married?

JazzforG:

It sounds like you have already decided to repaint your car, after having done all the mechanical stuff - the big question is how far to take it. Don't put so much $$ and effort into the cosmetics that you are afraid to drive and park the finish product.

·
Registered
62 Posts
there is no interest in repainting a rusting body...the alfas often rust from the inside and when you see the bubbles appear it's allready time for bigger measures

·
Registered
505 Posts
I agree with the comments given. However, I think that restoring a car is for many part of the fun of owning it, so if you like doing it, then you should go for it, otherwise you might really ave to think about it especially if it is still in a "good'' state.

Remember that it will take some time to fisnish it, that's time not being able to drive it..

Good luck with the choice.

Joseph

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, looks like I hit on a good topic. Thanks for all the comments, and huge props to Italiansedanman for the Luciano signature photo. Era un gran'uomo.

You've all convinced me. Stay tuned...

Financially, I'm not taking into account the lost "opportunity cost" of spending time working the car. I'd pay to do it myself! But, I'm simply incapable of doing body work; my skills (if you could call them that) are more in taking things apart and figuring them out. No way I could do the body work stuff that Akitaman posts, for instance. (If you haven't checked him out, search the threads)

bshorey's point is well taken. The amount of (perceptible) rust is pretty light, but I haven't dug into the rockers yet. Maybe I'm afraid to. A few years ago, I coated most all the rust in that black rust-stopper paint (battery tray, spare wheel well, front windshield... so that was good. The windshield bubbles I spoke of are relatively new (and relatively frightening).

Here's the big question: original paint. It's originally silver. But, the PO painted it (looks like himself) in a pretty shoddy manner, to say the least. The dream is to take it down to metal and powder coat/paint the parts while the body's in the shop.

What are people's thoughts on painting the car a color that (a) was not the car's original color (I find silver boring), (b) wasn't offered as a color for this car in 1971 (I don't mind the maroon that came with the 1974 2 liters, though maybe it's too common) and (c) wasn't or isn't an Alfa color at all??? I've seen some beautiful cars that are painted with Ferrari colors, for instance, but will that decrease the value? What's the deal with all that?

Thanks again for all your encouragement!
J

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
... What are people's thoughts on painting the car a color that (a) was not the car's original color (I find silver boring), (b) wasn't offered as a color for this car in 1971 (I don't mind the maroon that came with the 1974 2 liters, though maybe it's too common) and (c) wasn't or isn't an Alfa color at all??? I've seen some beautiful cars that are painted with Ferrari colors, for instance, but will that decrease the value? What's the deal with all that?
I think the original color has little to do with value, but "taste" is certainly a huge factor, as is quality of work. If the color combination is perceived as desirable (many people saying "Wow!.. that's gorgeous!"), this will be reflected in the car's value. Even with a concours car I think this holds true. Not painting the car in the correct Alfa color of the period results in a 5 point deduction, out of a 1000 points. Painting it a "custom" color means a loss of 7 points, out of 1000. There is no deduction for changing the original color of the car to another period correct color. Of course, if a potential buyer is a serious concours competitor, for whom .5 or .7 points out of 100 will mean the difference between winning an award or not, then it could make a difference. But then that type of buyer would be expecting a near perfect car in all other respects, so I'm not sure that it would be realistic to even speculate about that case, unless you are planning on maintaining a near perfect car for years to come. (This usually means either not driving it, or spending "mucho dinero" every year to keep it near perfect.)

If the color change is undetectable, meaning that the engine bay, trunk, doors, etc. are also painted and the work is of good quality, it will be perceived as such by others. It is curious, but certain colors are associated with certain cars, although it is not always the case that the color was offered when the car was new. For example, a couple of years ago, I came across a stunning (and very expensive) Jaguar XKE coupe being offered in the traditional British Racing Green. The owner of the car made it a point to disclose that the BRG color was never offered for his model. To most that revelation was a surprise, but it certainly did not deter anyone to walk away from the car. In fact, one person was thrilled that he could have the only example in such an elegant and traditional color. The car went for a record price. So, short of painting your car in something like "hot pink", I think you have a lot of latitude in choosing a great color that will enhance your GT V's desirability, and your enjoyment of your car.

Best regards,

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
Jazz:

Welcome to the forum - it is now time for pictures!

FWIW, I like the '71 GTV's the best. I love the step-nose GT's and my other daily driver is a '73 GTV but the '71 combines modern designs such as hanging pedals and SPICA with the more traditional grille and the best dash/console Alfa ever made.

If the mechanicals are in order and the interior is in great shape you can easily justify spending some dough on the body. Without seeing your car, I would take a guess that you could get close to $10k (again assuming "California rust" and not "midwest rust"). Prime GTV's are getting $20k and then some so you could easily justify $10k on the body and not feel like you are throwing away money. And if you did even some of the work, you could save a fair amount of money.

Paint the car whatever color you like - you're the one driving it not us. There are some great resto threads to read. Here are a few of my heros:

Bill77's '77 Spider:http://alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=12072

PsK's 1750: http://alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=856

Rossano's 1750: http://alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=37021

Baka4alfa's 1750: http://alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=32488

·
Registered
505 Posts
What are people's thoughts on painting the car a color that (a) was not the car's original color (I find silver boring),
J
First of all, congrats with the bold decision, I think it is the right one.

You say that your car was silver.

What do you think of silver coachwork with dark red leather interior?

Isn't that fabulous ??

I have one myself, and it is totally original.

It's a real eyecather, people can't just get their eyes off it.

Joseph

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Inspirational posts, all. Thanks for that info and the welcome. It's funny because I've had my car for just under ten years, and these websites didn't really exist back then, as far as I knew. So, most of my information was gathered from writing or calling people in local clubs... Anyway, this site is such a tremendous wealth of information, and I'm glad to be hooked in. I'll definitely post a photo as soon as I bring her home (getting front end aligned as we speak).

On the subject of colors, anyone know how can I find a list of colors that were available in 1971?

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
1 - 20 of 79 Posts