Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I am replacing all the brake components and currently trying to remove the rear discs. I removed the 2 screws and still solid. Are there any other screws/bolts to remove or do I need to use a puller or will it just chap out with a hammer ? Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
11,784 Posts
The disk should be loose once those two slotted, flat head screws are out. But many times, they get corroded into place where the rotor's center hole fits around the protrusion in the axle/flange. I'd apply some penetrant to that area, let it soak in a bit, and then rap it from the back with a rubber mallet in the area where the caliper used to mount. Rotate a bit and rap some more. Eventually it will loosen up.

Apply some Never-Seize when installing the new disks.

Reactions: andylarry

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
(I'm guessing that you are working on a 105/115 series Alfa. It helps to specify. If you are working on something else, you're on your own.)

The disk should be loose once those two slotted, flat head screws are out. But many times, they get corroded into place where the rotor's center hole fits around the protrusion in the axle/flange. I'd apply some penetrant to that area, let it soak in a bit, and then rap it from the back with a rubber mallet in the area where the caliper used to mount. Rotate a bit and rap some more. Eventually it will loosen up.

Apply some Never-Seize when installing the new disks.
Thanks Jay, that's what I thought re removal and thanks for the tips, much appreciated

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
@stew forsyth, if the above doesn't work, heat the center area (near the twin attaching screw holes) with a typical hardware store propane torch. Of course use all precautions, personal and property.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts