Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
That's a really interesting idea that I hadn't thought of. Are there headlights available to fit the US-market buckets other than sealed-beams? Is there a halogen option, e.g., does the Centerline "Euro" headlight, below, actually fit in US-market cars?

Keep us posted on your progress.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
OK, upon a little further investigation it looks like Susquehanna Motorsports (www.rallylights.com) sells Hella H4 headlamps that are intended as replacements for sealed-beams, so there are likely other suppliers as well, though maybe not Carello. Going this route is probably similar in cost to re-silvering the original reflectors since I would have to buy both buckets and headlights. But might be a more modern, effective result. Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Another solution (which I haven't tried, btw) is making your own period looking Carellos. Generic, good quality halogen SAE mount lights are pretty commonly available. Cibie 7in are still made as are the UK brand Wipac. Since the reflector part of these lights is SAE standard and pretty generic, it should be relatively easy to remove a good period correct Carello lens and fit it to a Wipac SAE mount reflector. BTW: I noticed Ebay is selling Wicpc 7in lights for $48. Generic headlight buckets (which is what Alfaholics uses in their GTAr builds) are about $28.

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
I was just about to copy/paste H4 repro's from Classic Alfa in this post, (which are the same all the usual suspects sell..)when I realized you already have those, but have fitment issues in the bucket??
Are you sure it wasn't a bent wire, or anything else that prevents the bowl from fitting inside the bucket?

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
That's really odd. No, I don't think the wires were interfering, and the original went back in just fine. It looked like the headlamp bowl was making contract with the white plastic pieces near the front of the headlight bucket, and they were preventing it from sitting all the way back in the bucket. Presumably those pieces are there to support the bowl from behind and allow it to rock/swivel during aiming. I had the aiming screws backed out by a good 2cm, so that it looked like lamp would interfere with the trim ring, but still couldn't get the ears of the lamp to mate up with the aiming screws. I gave up at that point; maybe could have tried harder, but it definitely wasn't behaving like the original.

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
That's strange indeed.. have you emailed CA and told them your issue with the lamp? Maybe there is new supplier and you're the 1st customer they shipped it to..
I just measured the depth of an original carello bucket at 112 mm. Any chance they once swapped out an entire unit with a shallower bucket?

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
It may be useful to mention nomenclature here. 105 series Alfas originally came with two different designs for headlight mounting. American market cars, because of US relations, came fitted with sealed-beam headlights which conformed to SAE mounting standards. The are distinguished by headlights which have three wire "nubs" which are designed to fit into three corresponding holes in the bucket. European version Alfa used these SAE style headlights and mounts until about 1967 or '68 when Alfa changed to a marque specific design the open-ended "flanges" that we see lpalmer's photos. The headlights are not interchangeable so, if you have later European model Alfa headlights, you are restricted to the Alfa specific design for replacement headlights.

Unless you retrofit early style buckets in which case you then have access not only to "early style" Carello lights but halogen lights from other manufacturers which fit SAE style buckets. Typically, American vendors tended to think everybody used SAE style headlights while European vendor tended to think all more modern Alfas used the late-style Alfa specific headlights.

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
I'm not sure what the cut-off was but I doubt anything as late as a '69 was ever imported in the USA in the form of a Super. I'm only going by a hunch but Alfa introduced the '69 Berlina with the Spider in this small market with the 1750 SPICA system to pass emissions and never looked back. Carb cars were not going to qualify as a car they would import and i don't know of any Supers with SPICA so offering two sedans, a Berlina and a Super, even if the Super was SPICA would have been nutty marketing.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Took the Super out for a little lunch-time jaunt to pick up burritos. As seems to be the norm when I drive the car, got a tootle from someone in a new white Giulia and the "V" sign from someone in a Prius. Also, the car is running just so nice and smooth at the mid-to-upper rev range. @peakay -- You must have given it an Italian Tune-up on Mulholland a few Sundays ago!

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Headlight Update

The most recent step in the Headlight Improvement Project was to replace the incandescent "HiLux" bulbs in outer headlamps with 60/55W H4 bulbs on P45t bases. I also tweaked the aim a bit -- a little higher and more toward the outsides of the car. This made a significant improvement -- the low beams have reached the level of "adequate," and the high beams are very good. In the process of messing with the aim, I took the advice of @Lokki on the electrical/lighting forum, and compared the aim with a reference car, in this case my 2012 VW Golf, which has the best headlights of any car I've owned. The results were very interesting, and highlight (so to speak) 40 years of automotive development. Below are diagrams that attempt to show the low-beam light pattern as seen on a vertical surface about 40' in front of the respective cars. (Not drawn to scale.) The red "+" is roughly the car centerline. The Giulia projects a wedge-shaped beam from each light, sloping lower toward the center of the road and higher toward the right side. Now I see why these headlamps are LHD- and RHD-specific. The Golf, on the other hand projects a flat horizontal beam about 3' high in front of the car, which then tapers down toward the center of the road and up toward the right side.

So this clearly illustrates the quandary if I want to further improve the headlights. @180OUT offered the excellent suggestion of replacing the headlight buckets with US-market (or universal) versions, which would allow use of modern halogen sealed-beam-replacement lamps, such as from Hella or Cibie. Or I could restore the vintage Carello lamps. Modern technology and performance vs. originality. At the moment I'm not in a hurry to do either, so will continue to mull that.

Meanwhile, I continue to thoroughly enjoy the car. With the improved headlights, made the 100 mile drive each way to Carlsbad and back, largely in the dark, without issue. And I get positive acknowledgment and comments about 80% of the times I take the car out, from people of all walks of life. Not sure that would happen in a Porsche or Ferrari, even of the ancient variety. Next projects are some basic maintenance, replacement of brake fluid and coolant, and then dig into the steering and front and rear suspensions.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,214 Posts
Carlsbad?! That's my alma mater, 1977. Where I got hooked on Alfas.
There is no trip for which a Giulia is not suitable.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Yup, small world. I live in Santa Monica and commute down to Carlsbad once a week. Had a good time driving the Giulia down, and will repeat on occasion. The 1300 does fine in traffic, almost too fine. As said, next project is to tighten up the steering/suspension and get better tires (or at least install inner tubes) so the rest of the car is on equal footing.

Logan

·
Premium Member
21,214 Posts
My wife's from Santa Monica, her mom still lives near Ocean Park/Main. We're down pretty regular-like.

Next trip will check in. My mom-in-law recently took a pic of a Giulia on Third St., but I think it was a 1600 TI.

Andrew

·
Registered
7 Posts
lpalmer and peakay, thanks for sharing your photos. That side by side was great. I particularly appreciate the driving comparison between the Alfetta and the Giulia. I had an Alfetta GTV at one point and have often wondered how a Giulia would compare. lpalmer, your comment on NVH of your TI really hit home. Modern cars are good for general commuting and running errands and have amazing capabilities, but seem a tad weak in feedback and driving entertainment.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts