Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1971 Giulia 1300 Super
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Giulia 1300 Super which is in transit now from Florida to Oregon. I have access to photos when it was originally imported to the states and the oil vapor hardware was not on the car when overseas. It appears that a short hose directed vapors directly to the air box previously and I haven’t seen this canister often on other Alfa motors. Could have this possibly been a specific State emission requirement or is there an otherwise desirable reason for installing this?

·
Premium Member
22,800 Posts
1300 Supers were never sold in the US so they never had any of that kind of equipment. This air cleaner setup was also never used on US cars. The last US cars with carbs were 1600s in 1967, which had the big aluminum airbox. This setup came into use on 1750s with carbs in Europe and elsewhere but not in the US. All US cars after 1967 had Spica injection til Bosch injection came in in 1982.

So this setup is right for this air cleaner. No OVS needed. You could plumb one in but you'd have to make a fitting for the oil return hose. I wouldn't bother.
Andrew

·
Registered
8,656 Posts
The OVS was an appliance used on only fuel injected cars and is still used today for those cars... They were introduced to reduce the blend of oil vapors and fuel in the combustion chambers. In theory and practice, an add-on system on a carb car would reduce emissions and reduce carbon build-up in any engine but is more critical in fuel injected engines just by the nature of the state of tune and mixing of fuel and oil in the combustion process. The oil collection process comes in two forms, either by rerouting the oil back to the oil sump as Alfa and most manufacturers do it or an after-market collection can system which requires monitoring and physically emptying it as what is the case in your car as i see it. If you are so inclined, you can remove the system from your car with no ill-effects on it. On the other hand, a failed OVS on a FI car is not something to overlook and just consider as something that will produce more air pollution as a consequence.. It is far more reaching than just greenhouse gas emissions if you value the health of your FI engine

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'll add an experience that may influence. I put a 1750 into our 59' Sprint with Weber's. Routed the camcover vent out the rear to atmosphere.
Suffered oil blowing out the vent. Went into my parts pile and installed a Spica era oil separator, complete with the oil drain tube into base of dipstick tube. . No more blowout of oil. Looks very tidy. If it were me, I would keep a type of oil separator, but perhaps you could re-route the installation to pretty up your compartment.

·
Premium Member
22,800 Posts
US cars up til 1967 had the blowby/vapor go overboard ("road tube") or back into the air filter canister.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Here’s a picture of my 73 Super 1.3. It’s got a 1750 now but this setup looks identical to the 1300 that was originally in there. There’s a short hose the runs from the cam cover into the air cleaner.
(My clips are loose so that’s the reason for the rags - I need to adjust them)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts