Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Works in Progress
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
This explanation/debate may help you for your situation understand who was putting these lists together and what resources they had and what types of errors were made, errors of omission (your case), typographical errors like the case below,

These errors leave a trail of destruction, with many making the mistake of repeating them in club magazines articles and some errors have even found their way into booklets/books.

It's thanks to those that thought to set up the opportunity to list our cars on a Classic Alfa Romeo Registry - Sprint GT/GTV that we can slowly get a clearer picture as to which cars exist.
plus
The only official document for you car is 'The Certificate of Origin' in Italian as per the factory records.
Warning 1: the English translated versions of the 'Certificate of Origin' are not official factory documents.
Warning 2: It's been shown that some English translated versions of the 'Certificate of Origin' have errors of translation and omission and addition in them.
Warning 3: Some E-mail/ text also in English been shown to have errors of translation and omission and addition in them.
Regards Steve
Thank you Steve105 for all of your invaluable insight and in-depth knowledge on the 1750 thus far. Your like the 1750 Oracle. I hopped on the wait list with Wes Ingram for a return to SPICA set up, thinking that my block was a '71 only to find yesterday after pulling the engine that the # is from a '69. The new concern is that there is a shortage of pumps and cores over at Wes's as my engine was converted to Webers donkey years ago and i am missing all of the components. Back to square 1 i go.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Last year I got 69 GTV 1530327. It had engine AR00551*1155" in it, pretty sure original. It was an early 69 car, the 327th US car I'd guess, and the 1155th US engine. Yours is 200 later. I'd say for sure it's a 69 engine.

In the Berlina Register the highest 69 engine I show is AR00551*3887*. GTV, Spider, and Berlina engines for US cars all came off the same pile, so any engine could go to any car. And the highest 69 Spica pump I list is 5587. So I'd say there were about 6000 69 US cars.

Does it have Spica on it? Is it 1969 intake and pump, or 1971? The pumps are different, those two years. T237/1 for 1969, T237/2 for 1971.

Andrew

·
Registered
Works in Progress
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Last year I got 69 GTV 1530327. It had engine AR00551*1155" in it, pretty sure original. It was an early 69 car, the 327th US car I'd guess, and the 1155th US engine. Yours is 200 later. I'd say for sure it's a 69 engine.

In the Berlina Register the highest 69 engine I show is AR00551*3887*. GTV, Spider, and Berlina engines for US cars all came off the same pile, so any engine could go to any car. And the highest 69 Spica pump I list is 5587. So I'd say there were about 6000 69 US cars.

Does it have Spica on it? Is it 1969 intake and pump, or 1971? The pumps are different, those two years. T237/1 for 1969, T237/2 for 1971.

Andrew
Negative, no SPICA, it was converted to Webers some time along its short roaded life. Its been sitting since 1976.
Thank you for the interesting info above. Its like a game of CLUE, twists and turns along the way!
Do you have a pic of your 69 handy?

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
That's why I keep numbers, it helps figure things out.
I don't own it any longer. Was given to me by a friend in LA after it sat decades in his backyard, was a total restoration job that I was not up for. I passed it along to someone who was up for it.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Once you remove the intake manifold, there is no real difference between a 69 and a 71 1750 engine. You can bolt either setup onto either engine.

Try Larry Jr at Alfa Parts Exchange? He's good with Spica, has a lot of stuff. 925 200-1998
Andrew

·
Registered
Works in Progress
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
That's why I keep numbers, it helps figure things out.
I don't own it any longer. Was given to me by a friend in LA after it sat decades in his backyard, was a total restoration job that I was not up for. I passed it along to someone who was up for it.
Andrew
Hey you never know. Karma goes full circle you may just wake up one day and have a Giallo Ocra '71 sitting in your driveway, thank you for all of your insight!

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
No. Similar number

21 - 27 of 27 Posts