Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Works in Progress
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been searching and recently purchased a gtv 1750 alleged barn find. its seen better days thats for sure and im now embracing the long hauled road of restoration. can anybody assist in determining if the below numbers are correct for the vehicle, ive tried looking in the FUSI bible, but no luck?
any suggestions or words of encouragement are always welcomed.
71gtv.jpg

Type: 10551
Vin #: AR 1532548
Engine #: AR 00551 01335

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Looks like it falls right in range.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Scans of Fusi are in the History section.
That's a US 1750 GTV VIN. That's a US 1750 engine number, though Alfa didn't tie a specific engine to a specific chassis during this period, so "matching numbers" isn't exactly possible unless someone wrote the engine number on the invoice or in the owner's manual.
Andrew

·
Registered
Works in Progress
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like it falls right in range.

thank you Peter, super helpful as always!

·
Registered
Works in Progress
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a US 1750 GTV VIN. That's a US 1750 engine number, though Alfa didn't tie a specific engine to a specific chassis during this period, so "matching numbers" isn't exactly possible unless someone wrote the engine number on the invoice or in the owner's manual.
Andrew
Thanks Andrew, i was beginning to worry when i noticed the valve cover had the indent for the overcam air duct which i didnt think came as stock. however, your words are encouraging

Attachments

·
Registered
991 Posts
Hi Mozzafiato,
Read all of my posts in this thread first, ignore the rest of the comments. Then read all posts in sequence.
BAT 1750-new high watermark?
Fusi, was over 70, eye sight ?, and before computers, probably doing things via paper spread sheet as to a possible explanation as to why he has some errors in his book, that were never corrected.
Regards Steve

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Does the block have the mount for a Spica pump and the crank pully for the drive belt? Mount for mechanical fuel pump on front cover? There are several "tells" for a US 1750 motor. Your cam cover is not right, but easy to change.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
AR0551 is US 1750. Other markets got AR0548. The front cover can be changed, so isn't really definitive.
Andrew

·
Registered
Works in Progress
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Mozzafiato,
Read all of my posts in this thread first, ignore the rest of the comments. Then read all posts in sequence.
BAT 1750-new high watermark?
Fusi, was over 70, eye sight ?, and before computers, probably doing things via paper spread sheet as to a possible explanation as to why he has some errors in his book, that were never corrected.
Regards Steve
[/QUOTE
thank you Steve, great read. ill do some more digging into the cars history. im really intrigued. reading into your post, is it true that this is possibly 1 of 1200 GTV's imported into the US?

·
Registered
Works in Progress
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does the block have the mount for a Spica pump and the crank pully for the drive belt? Mount for mechanical fuel pump on front cover? There are several "tells" for a US 1750 motor. Your cam cover is not right, but easy to change.
ill have to get back into the garage to take another look. will post some pics.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Most importantly, the block is correct for the year of the car.

·
Registered
Works in Progress
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
this
, this
Good news indeed. Per chance do you recommend any good body guys here in the NE? I'd like to get this 1750 sorted out the correct way and it does have its typical lower sill and wheel arch "surface rust,"

·
Registered
Works in Progress
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Andrew
Andrew, thanks again for sharing the FUSI details on the 1750 series #'s.
Finally got around to pulling the engine out of the GT as its off to the soda blaster and got a good look at the block #. It appears to be a 1969 block in my '71...Am i reading this correctly from the FUSI guide and Is it possibly an early engine swap? The vehicle has'nt been registered since 1976 when it was found in a barn in Wisconsin recently. I cant imagine that the PO swapped it out so early in its life, but then again nothing surprises me anymore ??? Would this block be more desirable as i have read in a few posts here that this was the best year for the 1750 as the latter's suffered a bit in performance. Im new to these 105's and am like a sponge right now. Thanks for your insight.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
AR00551 is US 1750. 01355 I'd think would have to be a 1969 block. Back when there were lots of Alfas around, was much cheaper to drop in a running engine from another car than to rebuild one. So maybe that happened here. I have a 71 1750 in my 67 Super, and the three engines that were in it before that, none of them was original. Used to happen a lot, no one cared about numbers.
Andrew

·
Registered
Works in Progress
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
AR00551 is US 1750. 01355 I'd think would have to be a 1969 block. Back when there were lots of Alfas around, was much cheaper to drop in a running engine from another car than to rebuild one. So maybe that happened here. I have a 71 1750 in my 67 Super, and the three engines that were in it before that, none of them was original. Used to happen a lot, no one cared about numbers.
Andrew
I suspect you are right. I was hoping to have a numbers matching car as im undertaking a nuts and bolt restoration. In your opinion is it worth pursuing knowing this now? the Vin # doesnt even make sense as its not even listed in the register AR 1532548

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
My 71 spider 105.62, build date oct 70, has the same motor. To the best of my knowldege, many of these 71 cars are transitional cars ; some with features of 69 cars, and some with features of (believe it or not) 72 cars.

·
Registered
991 Posts
This explanation/debate may help you for your situation understand who was putting these lists together and what resources they had and what types of errors were made, errors of omission (your case), typographical errors like the case below,

These errors leave a trail of destruction, with many making the mistake of repeating them in club magazines articles and some errors have even found their way into booklets/books.

It's thanks to those that thought to set up the opportunity to list our cars on a Classic Alfa Romeo Registry - Sprint GT/GTV that we can slowly get a clearer picture as to which cars exist.
plus
The only official document for you car is 'The Certificate of Origin' in Italian as per the factory records.
Warning 1: the English translated versions of the 'Certificate of Origin' are not official factory documents.
Warning 2: It's been shown that some English translated versions of the 'Certificate of Origin' have errors of translation and omission and addition in them.
Warning 3: Some E-mail/ text also in English been shown to have errors of translation and omission and addition in them.
Regards Steve

·
Registered
Works in Progress
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My 71 spider 105.62, build date oct 70, has the same motor. To the best of my knowldege, many of these 71 cars are transitional cars ; some with features of 69 cars, and some with features of (believe it or not) 72 cars.
Are you implying that you have the same engine block number? Now this is getting interesting...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts