Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A rather long time before my first post but here goes. I bought the boat tail in 2012 as a long time admirer of these vehicles, it was bought as the opportunity presented itself and UK registered 1750,s are a pretty rare thing. It was always my intention to restore it in retirement and in the intervening years i restored an old mini for my son which made me question whether to go for it or not - did I really still want it enough.
Anyway I have finally decided to go for it and geiven myself 2 yrs or so ! to get it done. The car is all complete and was restored to a so so standard about 15 years ago but it stood outside neglected for many years which took its toll. I have dry stored it since but there is no getting away from the fact the body looks better than it is due to the outer panels having been replaced, top half ok but inner core rough. It appears to be numbers matching and quite original in many ways.
Anyway here are some pictures of it three weeks in.

I have a couple of questions, Im not fixated by originality and not a lover of the current 514 which looks orange to me although appreciate it may have faded somewhat. The two changes below are as far as I will consider going.

1/ Were Duetto,s ever painted in Rosso 501 as I prefer it i think. Probably not brave enough to paint it in Ferrari TDF yellow.
2/ How heavy is the steering whilst parking with 185 tyres as while its in bits I might pop in EPAS but wont bother if its not a big help - thinking about driving it in advancing years.
5.jpg IMG_4868.JPG IMG_4877.JPG IMG_4786.JPG IMG_4795.JPG IMG_4796.JPG

5.jpg IMG_4868.JPG IMG_4877.JPG IMG_4786.JPG

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
nice project...big project nonetheless.

Wille's duetto site only lists 514 as a roundtail rosso
Duetto FAQ

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think your right 514 is the round tail red and thats that . Will have to decide if Im going to deviate or not, plenty of time to decide.

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
Lots of spiders used 185 tires, a bit heavy at parking speeds, very nice once moving.

Looks like a great project!

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,978 Posts
I have 205 tires on my Spider and my 100 lb daughter has no problem parking it. Just make sure that the car is rolling before you turn the wheel. That will also limit the stress on the rather fragile steering box.

·
Registered
756 Posts
have you checked from alfa archives what the original colour was it looks like it was always red, there are a few interesting colours in the alfa range, so maybe one of those is an option.
also weld a brace across the door openings before cutting sills out. classic alfa have sill replacements that are a perfect fit so I would use those not spend endless hours trying to make your own, great project, the series 2 1750 roundtail is very rare.

cheers Ian

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info Ian. I havent asked the colour but looks like it was indeed red as the windscreen out etc. I will check the archives.
I have braced the door openings , only one was done in the photo above or do you mean weld a brace from left to right side across the shell as well, I was considering this.
I have all floor,s , sills and chassis rails waiting to go in from Classic Alfa and good to hear they are a nice fit.
I appear to have lhd front floors as I dont think rhd are made. Anyway assume i will have to make up / cut as required to swap the pedal aperture across.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I should have looked, stupid me. I would diagonally cross brace on b pillar side to side. it all helps. just looked at their site, I thought they did RHD floors but its not there,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts