Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A euro spec, I assume, being sold by an exotics dealer in Toronto. I have no affiliation.

Used 1970 ALFA ROMEO SPIDER for Sale In VAUGHAN, ON - 3255118 - autoTRADER.ca

I called to inquire on the price. What would you expect such a car to be worth if you knew that it just came off a six-year full restoration? Rotisserie, acid dipped, etc. How about $80k? :eek: I was pretty surprised by that number.

Nice car, but not sure I'd pick it over a very nice big healey, or an e-type, or a Guilietta spider....

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
I'll bet that half of that price was installing the air conditioning so that it is totally invisible !!!

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
....and another $20K for the Dual Airbags, Power Windows & Power Door Locks.
Probably $5K in the Cup Holder, Daytime Running Lights, Halogen Headlamps, Block Heater and Fog lights.....Sheeeesh!!!!....

·
Registered
186 Posts
:) I sure hope he gets the 80K! (although at half that its arguably still high) I'd say the economy would have definately turned around if it sells for that!

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,041 Posts
Who would do this?? And who would buy it??? I saw a house like this recently: 10,000 SF 2 ac. mansion in a neighborhood of double-wides. Except this was listed as cheap and going down fast. You want a pimped out Alfetta sedan, buy one . . .

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
I think that we are dissing the dealers tactics, not the car....
Someone poured his soul ( and his cash ) into fixing that car and now the dealer is playing fast and loose.

·
Registered
135 Posts
hmmm

Motomaster battery? What's the prorated warranty like?

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,041 Posts
I think that we are dissing the dealers tactics, not the car....
Someone poured his soul ( and his cash ) into fixing that car and now the dealer is playing fast and loose.
Or maybe some of both? Power windows/locks & cup holder? On a gorgeous 69? Just because it's soul doesn't mean it's right. But, yes, it's his car to do with what he wants. And to see if it sells.

"Options: AM/FM Stereo, Air Conditioning, Cassette Player, Dual Airbag, Fog Lights, Power Windows, Power Locks, Block Heater, Cup Holder, Daytime Running Lights, Halogen Headlamps

Description: The car is in "excellent", "better than new" overall condition. The car is freshly finished result of a six-year, total rotisserie restoration by the professionally respected technicians at Modena Sports Cars in Etobicoke, Ontario. Modena has an excellent reputation for the service, maintenance, and restoration of all Italian-built automobiles includind Ferrari, Maserati and Alfa Romeo."

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
My point is,
the dealer is making these over the top claims, not the restorer or (former ? ) owner.
The car speaks for itself in the pics or an up close inspection.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I spoke with the dealer, he indicated that this was a consignment arrangement. He said that the owner spent $80k on the restoration and hopes to get it back. I could have pressed from there, I guess, but we were really way too far apart for me to think about negotiating and purchasing. Who knows, one of you might be able to get it for $60k. :) And don't forget that's CDN dollars.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,041 Posts
Randy, When you do all this jazz to your 67 Duetto or 101, I'll know you are serious. To me it's a sad over-resto of a nice car.

·
Super Moderator - Alfa Romeo Expert
16,232 Posts
That's a lot of coupon for a Spider 1300 Junior.

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
That's a lot of coupon for a Spider 1300 Junior.
Ok, you guys made me look. I don't think it is a Junior or a '70. The crossover air intake, fusebox, brake reservoir and side markers hint to '68 or earlier. The ashtray is from '69 and the seats are '69 or later. It does, however, have a Jr. steering wheel. Oh, and it has opening wing windows, Juniors don't.

In the end, it is a Bitsa, a really pricy Bitsa.

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
....and another $20K for the Dual Airbags, Power Windows & Power Door Locks.
Probably $5K in the Cup Holder, Daytime Running Lights, Halogen Headlamps, Block Heater and Fog lights.....Sheeeesh!!!!....
See, I think the seller actually put the wrong info (generic) into this ad. It really sounds like an ad for a mid '80's Honda...:rolleyes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts