Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SOLD!!!!

For Sale...1970 Alfa Romeo GT Junior 'Stepnose' (Scallino).
This wonderful GT Junior is now offered for sale by its 3rd owner. This was originally an Italian-registered car and was imported to Canada directly from Italy in 2005. It underwent a complete restoration in 2005-2006, which included the interior, paint and a complete professional re-build of the already more-powerful than stock '1750' motor. Since the restoration, the car has been lovingly cared-for and maintained, and has been stored in a climate-controlled garage and only driven in good weather during the short Canadian summer season. This is a truly well-sorted example of a superb and sought-after model of the famous 'Bertone' coupe. For a few more photos, please message me directly.

Details:
- Spent first 35 years of its life in Italy
- Originally equipped with a less-powerful 1300cc motor, the motor was upgraded 8 years ago to a 1798cc Alfa Romeo motor with dual Dellorto carburetors, which was completely rebuilt and blueprinted. Only 7500km have been traveled since the rebuild. This engine does not smoke.
- Italian Veglia gauges in perfect working order
- Ceramic-coated headers
- Upgraded vented 4 wheel disc brakes
- Carefully maintained suspension and steering system, equipped with Koni (red) shocks and a recent alignment
- Smooth shifting 5 speed transmission
- All electrical components function as they should
- Interior is upholstered in fine quality black leather with excellent workmanship
- Original Giallo Ocra colour (Burnt Umber), re-sprayed at time of restoration, no bondo, no signs of rust. Very straight body and the paintwork is of very good quality
- Period correct and very rare 'Mille Miglia' wheels in near perfect condition (including spare) ($3000 cost for wheels and tires alone)
- Over $24K spent on the restoration in 2006
- Always stored indoors in a climate controlled garage
- 48,000 miles (78,000 km - original European gauge mileage reads in kilometers)
- Michelin tires are in very good condition and perfectly balanced.
- Chrome and stainless steel parts are all in very good condition, as are the ancillary lights, etc.
- Body gaps are as good as factory
- Most components (including gauges, glass, etc.) are original

This is a beautiful example of the 105 Series Giulia GT Junior, upgraded with a very nicely-built 1750 motor with dual Dellorto carburetors. These cars are very rarely found in this condition and surely this will make a great addition and investment for any collection. This car is perfectly set-up for weekends exploring country roads and for car shows, cruise nights and other events. The old adage which states: "When buying a collector car, buy the best example you can afford" truly applies with this little GT.

Deficiencies:
- After a 6 month storage period (Canadian winters require that we store for this period) about 4-5 drops of oil are visible below the car. This is acceptable and common for the all-aluminum 4-cylinder Alfa 'Nord' engine.
- There is a small crack diagonally at the rear of one interior vent (about 2 inches long)
- Front and rear bumpers have light marks in certain areas probably from the use of incorrect polishing materials
- Headliner is in perfect shape but slightly discoloured to a pale beige
- Seat belts are operable but the car could benefit from the installation of a modern 3-point belt type
- There is a hairline crack in one of the small rectangular reflector lights on one fender (replacements are readily available

Notes:
- Car always runs cool
- Compression in engine 190, 190,190, 190
- No noticeable dents or chips in paint.
- No accidents
- Three-owner car according to the previous owner (including current owner)

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Attachments

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Price is in line with the quality of this car. Have a look and ask questions. This is a 'no excuses' car, and is accurately described.

Located in the Montreal area.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Alex(Sanyi) you really need to clean the crud off the sump that it's caked with, before you take a photo.It would help with the comment you made about "4-5 drops of oil are visible below the car". Even though I know this to be true. Good luck with the sale.

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alex(Sanyi) you really need to clean the crud off the sump that it's caked with, before you take a photo.It would help with the comment you made about "4-5 drops of oil are visible below the car". Even though I know this to be true. Good luck with the sale.
Hahaha! But, if the oil pan (sump) wasn't covered with oil, then everyone would know it wasn't a true Alfa motor! As my old friend Skip always says: "The only time you worry about an Alfa leaking oil is when it stops leaking...because that means there is no oil left!"

·
Registered
213 Posts
Tempted to trade...

Hahaha! But, if the oil pan (sump) wasn't covered with oil, then everyone would know it wasn't a true Alfa motor! As my old friend Skip always says: "The only time you worry about an Alfa leaking oil is when it stops leaking...because that means there is no oil left!"
Lovely GT. I am tempted to trade it with my ´59 Giulietta Spider. :)

·
Registered
426 Posts
Price is in line with the quality of this car. Have a look and ask questions. This is a 'no excuses' car, and is accurately described.

Located in the Montreal area.
you mention price, but i don't see one? am i missing it?

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you mention price, but i don't see one? am i missing it?
The car is listed on EBay. It is an auction with a set Reserve price. If the Reserve is met, the car will be sold via EBay. However, I reserve the right to end the auction early if the Reserve price is met without using EBay. I will not disclose the Reserve price, but it is in line with other cars of the same type and condition.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
The car is listed on EBay. It is an auction with a set Reserve price. If the Reserve is met, the car will be sold via EBay. However, I reserve the right to end the auction early if the Reserve price is met without using EBay. I will not disclose the Reserve price, but it is in line with other cars of the same type and condition.
Seems logical to me. Good luck on the sale.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Ha! My mechanic said the exact same thing to me a couple of months ago.

Beautiful car. GLWTS.

·
Registered
38 Posts
original engine

I'd be interested in acquiring the original engine, if still possible, along with the car.

Why would there so much oil residue on the pan? Gaskets?

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Wow.. the question photo with the "rust inhibiting" oil pan must be striking a chord with some. A $2.00 car wash spritz might have killed that concern.

I just bought a '69 Jr in Italy and this one is pretty nice and honest. I paid a lot more than the final bid, for sure, and still haven't shipped it yet.

Must be the time of year or the color?.. Someone is missing a bet on this one, IMO. Wanting the 1300 motor is a real reversal, albeit valid, it seems folks can't wait to drop a 1750 or 2000 in these so not everything is predictable. Selling cars is a bittch sometimes. PS I think the Hagerty values are way off the mark.

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow.. the question photo with the "rust inhibiting" oil pan must be striking a chord with some. A $2.00 car wash spritz might have killed that concern.

I just bought a '69 Jr in Italy and this one is pretty nice and honest. I paid a lot more than the final bid, for sure, and still haven't shipped it yet.

Must be the time of year or the color?.. Someone is missing a bet on this one, IMO. Wanting the 1300 motor is a real reversal, albeit valid, it seems folks can't wait to drop a 1750 or 2000 in these so not everything is predictable. Selling cars is a bittch sometimes. PS I think the Hagerty values are way off the mark.
I specifically left the oil on the pan and photographed it. That is an honest pan photo with a couple of years of oil on it. I think it is better to see the oil than to give it a quick clean-up and let the new owner discover the typical slightly leaky front seal gasket.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,033 Posts
Did I miss the e-Bay link?

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
I specifically left the oil on the pan and photographed it. That is an honest pan photo with a couple of years of oil on it. I think it is better to see the oil than to give it a quick clean-up and let the new owner discover the typical slightly leaky front seal gasket.
You did the right thing... being honest. Unfortunately, it might have an influence in the sale. If after cleaning it there was a small leak that contributed to years of this crud, and it was clearly, then your comment of "5 drops" would have been the buyer beware disclosure that was all that is necessary.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have to be more careful with my comments being that some people take them literally even when in jest.My wife, even after owning 5 Alfas still complains about oil stains no matter how much I explain that it is a good sign when Alfas leak.

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have to be more careful with my comments being that some people take them literally even when in jest.My wife, even after owning 5 Alfas still complains about oil stains no matter how much I explain that it is a good sign when Alfas leak.
They leak less when driven regularly!:thumbup:

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,033 Posts
That seemed like a low price, $25,600, for such a nice car. Wish I had the space. The lake is dry, better get the boat out of the carport.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts