Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Rich,
Regarding the alternator not charging, does the dynamo warning lamp illuminate when you turn the key to the first ("run") position? And is it the correct style (original) bulb?

·
Premium Member
5,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Rich,
Regarding the alternator not charging, does the dynamo warning lamp illuminate when you turn the key to the first ("run") position? And is it the correct style (original) bulb?
I like to think of myself as an amateur etymologist (the study of the origin of words). I did not connect the "dynamo warning lamp" or as I've always called it the "idiot light".

I replaced the original alternator with an unit from another Alfa that worked well but I still wasn't getting any charge. I checked the alternator by reading the voltage across the battery which should be reading about 13.5 or so when the motor is running. It was showing only the battery voltage (12.6 VDC) which is not good. I also disconnected the battery with the motor running and it died immediately indicating that the alternator wasn't putting out voltage. Finally I disconnected the wires to the B+ pole (output) and checked for voltage to ground but nothing. Now I know this alternator worked and I'm certain I didn't wire something wrong and have it fry the alternator but still no love.

I ordered another alternator which came in today and swapped that in... still nothing! I'm absolutely certain that I didn't wire anything wrong. These alternators are rebuilts from Autozone/Advanced Auto/etc and I'm beginning to think that although I've never had an issue before perhaps they are just a poor substitute for a new Bosch unit. As a last resort, I decide to rev the motor up to see if there is a minimum RPM that it will work with. I've noticed that if I set the idle too low on some of other Alfas that the idiot light will come on. I blip the throttle a few times to about 2,000 RPM but nothing. Then, for no better reason than because it sounds cool I bring it up to 3,500 RPM or so and... on comes the alternator! Let it idle back and still it's still charging. Shut the motor off and restart it and at idle no charge. Rev the motor into that same range and on comes the alternator.

Had I connected the idiot light in the first place I would have noticed that once reved the light would have gone out signalling that the alternator was doing its job.

And that, boys and girls is why they call it an IDIOT light...

·
Premium Member
5,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
With the alternator issue solved (see above) and a decent (cold but sunny and dry) day I decided to give the Super its first real test after the aforementioned work: Drive home from the office - 12 miles. The previous trip (several months ago) ended in a tow back to the office so I've been a little gun shy even though my round the block testing seemed to suggest all's well.

IMAG0953.jpg

Well, all is well (ok, relative to the fact that it is an Alfa)! I had a nice, pleasant drive along the lake and ran a few errands. The battery charged, the motor started, the carburetor linkage stayed connected, the radiator fluid stayed in its chambers as did the engine oil and hydraulic fluid. The rear end continues to be noisy but that I can deal with in time. All in all a happy time!

With the Spider/GTV driving season being all too short in this neck of the woods I really get a kick out of being able to drive an Alfa during the winter. To heck with heated seats and 4WD - I'm driving a Super! At least until they start salting the roads in the next few hours...

·
Premium Member
6,347 Posts
I may be leaning on you for moral support! I'm planning on a engine swap too after I try and sort the 1750. I have a new fairly modified 2L I plan on dropping in at some point.
Great work and nice shop!

·
Premium Member
5,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I will be happy to be your cheerleader every step of the way!

The engine swap is a tough call for me. The 1750 I've got in there now is pretty darn fun and I really don't need to pull it. But I still have a dream of putting in AC in this car and a 2L is a necessity.

·
Premium Member
6,347 Posts
If you run across 2 of the a/c brackets that bolt on the front of the head save one for me! I'll look for 2 as well. That's the compressor bracket on my GTV and they are great. I plan on mine being a driver and aircon is a must here many months of the year. I have a trunk mounted evaporator in the gtv and I suspect it might work even better in the sedan: super or berlina then again there might be more room up front in the berlina?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Interesting thread Rich, I bought my first saloon about 21 years ago - the vendor had only lifted the up & over garage door about 18", the de-bumpered & lowered front end with about 2 degrees of negative camber was enough, I'd made up my mind already - I had to have it!
It was a '72 ex race car put back on the road. As I drove it home, I was initially confused - it felt like 2 cars joined together (it wasn't!) - going over sleeping policemen the front end was rock hard while the back was soft as anything! As I approached the first bend it felt very odd compared to anything I'd driven before & I had no confidence in it... However, I persevered, thinking "This was a race-winning car, built by a highly respected racer & engine builder - he must have known what he was doing!". As my confidence in the car grew, I pressed harder & found the faster I went, the more the car responded & the happier it felt - it was set up for speed! As I motored down the A23 past Gatwick I was passing everything on the motorway, flashing big Mercedes et al to move over! It's at the top end that the wind tunnel developed shape really comes into its own! By the time I'd driven the 35 miles home I was completely hooked.
That particular car had a 2.0 engine fitted with a 4.1 LSD axle, lowered & stiffened, 2.0 brakes & some negative camber up front - that was about it. I remember a chap stopping me as I drew up to a junction - thinking he was going to say "cool car mate" or something similar, I wound down the window only to hear him say "I have to say, that is the ugliest car I've ever seen"!! I was dumbfounded! Ah well, a chacun son goût, as the French say.....
People who've never driven a Super just don't get them and it's very difficult to persuade them until they have - it seems like you're beginning to discover the well kept secret! It will be interesting to see if you keep it, and if you stick with the 1750 or go for a 2.0....
I'm just finishing a '65 Giulia Ti barnfind myself (been off the road since 1975) - I love 'em but need to keep that one as stock as possible - there's only 5 or 6 left in the UK. I'd still love to do a Ti Super replica or just a hotrod Super with a twinspark on throttle bodies....
Keep the updates coming! Great stuff!

·
Premium Member
5,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
If you run across 2 of the a/c brackets that bolt on the front of the head save one for me! I'll look for 2 as well. That's the compressor bracket on my GTV and they are great. I plan on mine being a driver and aircon is a must here many months of the year. I have a trunk mounted evaporator in the gtv and I suspect it might work even better in the sedan: super or berlina then again there might be more room up front in the berlina?
Gigem,

I actually have the bracket as well as the entire kit. This was originally going into a GTV but that plan changed. So it's either going in the Super or my poor Berlina that is begging me to rescue it.

I'm using a kit from oldair.com : Old Air Products - Home of the HURRICANE Heat, Cool, & Defrost A/C System - AC System

It is very compact, has heat and AC and replaces the factory heater. Tucks up under the dash nicely but you need to relocate the plenum drain and probably loose the dash radio (nice place for vents though).

Here is the Old Air evaporator with the upper section of the Alfa heater box grafted to it. Still needs some work but I think you can get the drift:
20141120_132445.jpg

Here is a picture of the unit mocked up in the GTV - you can see how we had to modify the drain on the right side. Also notice how much space there is between the evap and the trans hump (the Alfa unit has zero clearance):
IMAG0272.jpg

And a picture with the Dash in place. This is a fiberglass unit but a factory dash will also fit.
IMAG1157.jpg

Of course being a GTV this is of little help for the Super but I believe it should be applicable to a Berlina. My understanding is that the major hurdle for the Super is lack of space for the condenser and E-fan up front. I think it is possible if I re-position the radiator but smarter guys than I have abandoned the notion...

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
a few young bucks! thats cheating! besides, all the young bucks around here just want to play video games. but its looking good

·
Premium Member
6,347 Posts
Thanks, things are starting to happen. Turns out the seller has had a few Alfas, an Alfetta, and a couple of others. The guy he bought it from was also an Alfa guy and had it listed on CL along with a couple of engines and lots of spares. He started a family in 84 and parked it (running) where it sat. He kept a detailed service history and took care of the car. Can't ask for much more than that! The jackpoints are good, holes in the footwells though and some rust on the inner sills, the outers were replaced so we'll see. Shipping has gone up since my last one, 900 from Ohio to East Texas. Plan is to get it running then swap my spare 2L and trans, drivetrain, maybe the 410 rear end I rebuilt so I'll have an Alfa to drive when the GTV goes in for headliner and new windshield. I've been putting it off because it's running so well and I didn't have an Alda to drive because I sold my Spider awhile back.

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
The interior looked like they had hauled cement in it at one point. There was some kind of gunk on much of the surfaces. It took quite a bit of scrubbing to remove whatever it was. We removed the dash and completely restored it.

View attachment 693649

View attachment 693617

View attachment 693625

The dash pad was of course cracked and beyond repair. We handed that to the local upholstery shop and they recovered it easily. The binnacle was painted with a Rustoleum texture paint that I am really impressed with. The vinyl pieces (other than the dash pad) were painted with SEM vinyl paint – again an excellent product made them look new. The wood was removed (including the center console), stripped, stained and clear coated. It is probably too shiny but it I like that it is UV stable and won’t yellow over time. The PO had applied some silly stick on chrome trim to much of the exterior and interior and that was dispatched with “extreme prejudice”. The chrome trim was polished and although pitted looks quite presentable.
None of the gauges worked. We disassembled the tach, speedo and clock, cleaned and lubricated everything, polished the stainless and replaced the bulbs with LEDs. The result: The tach and speedo work; the clock and fuel gauge are DOA. I modified a badge and replaced the guts of the clock with it. I know it’s not kosher but I can’t stand staring at a clock that doesn’t work and I’m not spending $300 for the privilege of seeing it work. Not sure what to do with the fuel gauge. It is integral to the speedometer so it’s not a simple replacement. I suppose it could be the sending unit…
I'll pick up the clock for my Super on Friday for a hundred dollar bill. Oliver, the Swiss watch guy in White Rock, B.C. cleaned it up.:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
6,347 Posts
Rats that was the wrong link, sorry

·
Premium Member
5,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Yikes, 3 years goes by fast! My poor little Super drew the short straw when I needed a 1750 motor for another project. So for most of the past 3 years it has sat quietly in the back of the shop under a tarp.

Finally this year I decided it was ridiculous to treat the her this way. My plan was to restore the car, build up a Twinspark and really have some fun. But it occured to me that driving it now might be more fun than dreaming about hot rodding it later. With that revelation and a former racing 2L (Jamisen prepped head and cams, HiComp pistons, lightened flywheel, 123 Ignition and DCOE 45s) that came my way recently I decided to take the intermediate step.
Super1.jpg

What's nice about a 1970 is that it was born with a hydraulic clutch so there was no horsing around with adapters and such. The re-engining was simple and since I had replaced the original 1600 diff with an LSD several years ago the car could easily handle the extra power.

At first though, it was a nightmare getting the motor to cooperate. It would foul the plugs almost immediately regardless of how much I leaned out the carbs with jets and mix screws, etc. It also developed a nasty miss at low RPM. I handed it off to @KPC655 and he helped clean up a number of issues. But after much gnashing of teeth I realized that although the carb tops indicated that they were a matching set, in reality the bodies were way different - one was the original early Italian made and the other was a later emissions style! I can't believe I never noticed it before.
Super2.jpg

Anyway, those came off pronto and while I didn't have another set of 45s I did have a decent set of 40s that I was able to rebuild and luckily had a set of carb mounts to go with it. I was pretty pleased with the one day turn around to get the carbs replaced but initially there was little difference in operation.
Super3.jpg

But this time as I rejetted, adjusted the mix screws and replaced the spark plugs the motor started to come alive. The final issue was the miss. As @genericwood and I commiserated, 80% of carb problems are ignition and so it was with this guy. I replaced the 123 dizzy cap and rotor (my one complain with the 123 is the poor fit of the cap - too easy to knock off) and that eliminated the miss.

Replaced the steelies with Daytonas and removed the bumpers. Still need to play with the ride height a bit but I think if I stick with 195s I should be able to lower it a bit more.
Super4.jpg

Super5.jpg

The bottomline is that it goes like stink now! So much so that I am going to replace the smaller 1600 ATE front calipers with the larger calipers from the 2000 era. Of course that means replacing the spindles too but that will give me a chance to freshen up the suspension.

It is far from a pretty face but I think the Super is worth the effort so come this winter, we'll do a proper restoration. But until then I intend on having fun...

·
Premium Member
6,347 Posts
What's all that white stuff on the ground? Me thinks you done right, a great car to drive!

21 - 40 of 48 Posts